- Hollywood, L., Surgenor, D., Reicks, M., McGowan, L., Lavelle, F., Spence, M. … Dean, M. (2018). Critical review of behaviour change techniques applied in intervention studies to improve cooking skills and food skills among adults. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, 58(17), pp. 2882–2895. doi:10.1080/10408398.2017.1344613.
- Benson, T., Lavelle, F., Bucher, T., McCloat, A., Mooney, E., Egan, B. … Dean, M. (2018). The impact of nutrition and health claims on consumer perceptions and portion size selection: Results from a nationally representative survey. Nutrients, 10(5). doi:10.3390/nu10050656.
- Lavelle, F., McGowan, L., Hollywood, L., Surgenor, D., McCloat, A., Mooney, E. … Dean, M. (2017). The development and validation of measures to assess cooking skills and food skills. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, 14(1). doi:10.1186/s12966-017-0575-y.
- Lavelle, F., Hollywood, L., Caraher, M., McGowan, L., Spence, M., Surgenor, D. … Dean, M. (2017). Increasing intention to cook from basic ingredients: A randomised controlled study. Appetite, 116, pp. 502–510. doi:10.1016/j.appet.2017.05.024.
- McGowan, L., Caraher, M., Raats, M., Lavelle, F., Hollywood, L., McDowell, D. … Dean, M. (2017). Domestic cooking and food skills: A review. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, 57(11), pp. 2412–2431. doi:10.1080/10408398.2015.1072495.
- Surgenor, D., Hollywood, L., Furey, S., Lavelle, F., McGowan, L., Spence, M. … Dean, M. (2017). The impact of video technology on learning: A cooking skills experiment. Appetite, 114, pp. 306–312. doi:10.1016/j.appet.2017.03.037.
- McCloat, A., Mooney, E. and Hollywood, L.E. (2017). Have Irish parents put cooking on the back burner? An Island of Ireland study of the food skills, cooking confidence and practices of parents. British Food Journal, 119(5), pp. 992–1002. doi:10.1108/BFJ-09-2016-0440.
- Lavelle, F., McGowan, L., Spence, M., Caraher, M., Raats, M.M., Hollywood, L. … Dean, M. (2016). Barriers and facilitators to cooking from ‘scratch’ using basic or raw ingredients: A qualitative interview study. Appetite, 107, pp. 383–391. doi:10.1016/j.appet.2016.08.115.
- Lavelle, F., Spence, M., Hollywood, L., McGowan, L., Surgenor, D., McCloat, A. … Dean, M. (2016). Learning cooking skills at different ages: A cross-sectional study. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, 13(1). doi:10.1186/s12966-016-0446-y.
- McGowan, L., Pot, G.K., Stephen, A.M., Lavelle, F., Spence, M., Raats, M. … Dean, M. (2016). The influence of socio-demographic, psychological and knowledge-related variables alongside perceived cooking and food skills abilities in the prediction of diet quality in adults: A nationally representative cross-sectional study. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, 13(1). doi:10.1186/s12966-016-0440-4.
- McCloat, A. and Caraher, M. (2016). Home Economics as a food education intervention: Lessons from the Irish secondary education context. Education and Health, 34(4), pp. 104–110.
- Tormey, R., Liddy, M., Maguire, H. and McCloat, A. (2008). Working in the action/research nexus for education for sustainable development: Two case studies from Ireland. International Journal of Sustainability in Higher Education, 9(4), pp. 428–440. doi:10.1108/14676370810905535.
London EC1V 0HB
PhD Area of Research
Policy issues relating to the place of Home Economics in the secondary school curriculum in the Republic of Ireland and how Home Economics contributes to the education of young people around food, cooking skills and health issues.
Professor Martin Caraher
Professor Corinna Hawkes
• Home Economics in particular food education
• Food and cooking skills
• Food literacy
• Education for Sustainable Development
• Home Economics philosophy
• Food policy from an education perspective
M.Sc. Food Policy, City, University London, United Kingdom
M.A. Education, University Limerick, Ireland
B.Ed. Home Economics, St Angela's College, NUI Galway, Ireland
- M.Sc. Food Policy, City, University London, United Kingdom
- M.A. Education, University Limerick, Ireland
- B.Ed. Home Economics, St Angela's College, NUI Galway, Ireland
- Head of Home Economics Department, St Angela's College, Sligo, 2009 – present
- Lecturer Home Economics, St Angela's College, Sligo, 2005 – 2009
- Home Economics Teacher, St Paul's Secondary School, 2001 – 2005
Publications by category
- McCloat, A. and Maguire, H. (2017). Home Economics Education: Preparation for a Sustainable and Healthy Future. EarthEd (State of the World) Rethinking Education on a Changing Planet Island Press. ISBN 978-1-61091-843-5.
- maguire, H., McCloat, A., Cusack, M. and O'Donoghue, M. (2013). ‘Images and Objects A Tool for Teaching Education for Sustainable Development and Responsible Living in Home Economics. Enabling Responsible Living Springer Science & Business Media. ISBN 978-3-642-22048-7.
- McCloat, A. and Maguire, H. (2008). Reorienting Home Economics Teacher Education to address Education for Sustainable Development. Global Sustainable Development: A Challenge for Consumer Citizens
Journal articles (12)
- Mooney, E., Kelly-Blakeney, E., McCloat, A. and Black, D. (2011). Primary School Teachers’ experiences of teaching healthy eating within the curriculum: A report for the Standing Conference on Teacher Education North and South (SCoTENS)..