- Gilder, A. (2020). Human Security and the Stabilization Mandate of MINUSCA. International Peacekeeping. doi:10.1080/13533312.2020.1733423.
- Gilder, A. (2019). The Effect of ‘Stabilization’ in the Mandates and Practice of UN Peace Operations. Netherlands International Law Review, 66(1), pp. 47–73. doi:10.1007/s40802-019-00128-4.
- Gilder, A. (2018). Stephen Hopgood, Jack Snyder and Leslie Vinjamuri (eds), Human Rights Futures. Human Rights Law Review, 18(2), pp. 390–396. doi:10.1093/hrlr/ngy011.
- Gilder, A. (2017). Dorothy Estrada-Tanck, Human Security and Human Rights under International Law: The Protections Offered to Persons Confronting Structural Vulnerability. Journal of Conflict and Security Law, 22(3), pp. 553–556. doi:10.1093/jcsl/krx006.
- Gilder, A. (2017). Bringing Occupation into the 21st Century: The effective implementation
of occupation by proxy. Utrecht Law Review, 13(1), pp. 60–81. doi:10.18352/ulr.355.
London EC1V 0HB
Alex’s thesis investigates the UN’s implementation of the human security concept, as espoused by the UNDP’s 1994 Human Development Report and the Commission on Human Security’s 2003 Human Security Now Report. The research project looks at the operationalisation of human security in UN-led peace operations and the consequential effects on the mandating of missions under the UN Charter. He has a particular interest in UN stabilization operations, particularly MINUSMA and MINUSCA, and how they impact the law of UN peace operations.
Alex was a recipient of a Graduate Teaching Assistantship from The City Law School to undertake his research.
Alex's thesis is supervised by Dr Ioannis Kalpouzos and Dr Mauro Barelli.
- LLB (Hons), University of Lincoln, United Kingdom
- LLM, Utrecht University, Netherlands
- PgCAP, City, University London, United Kingdom
- Fellow, Higher Education Academy
- Lecturer in Law, Royal Holloway, University of London, Sep 2019 – present
- Fixed Term Teacher, University of Essex, Jan – Apr 2019
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, City, University of London, Aug 2016 – Jul 2019
- British International Studies Association (2019) BISA PGN Funding Competition
- Royal United Services Institute (2018) Second Equal Prize, Trench-Gascoigne Competition
- The Hague Academy of International Law (2017) Merit-based scholarship
- City, University of London (2016) Graduate Teaching Assistantship
Publications by category
Journal articles (5)
Editorial activity (2)
- Journal on the Use of Force and International Law, Editorial Assistant, Sep 2017 – Aug 2018.
- Utrecht Journal of International & European Law, Executive Editor, Sep 2015 – Aug 2017.