- Sun, Z., Miao, X. and Jagadeesh, C. (2020). Experimental investigation of the transonic shock-wave/boundary-layer interaction over a shock-generation bump. Physics of Fluids, 32(10). doi:10.1063/5.0018763.
- Sun, Z., Gan, T. and Wu, Y. (2020). Shock-Wave/Boundary-Layer Interactions at Compression Ramps Studied by High-Speed Schlieren. AIAA Journal, 58(4), pp. 1681–1688. doi:10.2514/1.j058257.
- Mengxiao, T., Yun, W., Hongyu, W., Shanguang, G., Zhengzhong, S. and Jiaming, S. (2018). Characterization of transverse plasma jet and its effects on ramp induced separation. Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 99, pp. 584–594. doi:10.1016/j.expthermflusci.2018.05.023.
- Miao, X., Zhang, Q., Atkin, C., Sun, Z. and Li, Y. (2018). Improving Purge Air Cooling Effectiveness by Engineered End-Wall Surface Structures—Part I: Duct Flow. Journal of Turbomachinery, 140(9), pp. 1–12. doi:10.1115/1.4040853.
- Miao, X., Zhang, Q., Atkin, C., Sun, Z. and Li, Y. (2018). Improving Purge Air Cooling Effectiveness by Engineered End-Wall Surface Structures—Part II: Turbine Cascade. Journal of Turbomachinery, 140(9). doi:10.1115/1.4040854.
- Gan, T., Wu, Y., Sun, Z., Jin, D., Song, H. and Jia, M. (2018). Shock wave boundary layer interaction controlled by surface arc plasma actuators. Physics of Fluids, 30(5). doi:10.1063/1.5013166.
- Zhang, Z., Wu, Y., Jia, M., Song, H., Sun, Z. and Li, Y. (2017). MHD-RLC discharge model and the efficiency characteristics of plasma synthetic jet actuator. Sensors and Actuators, A: Physical, 261, pp. 75–84. doi:10.1016/j.sna.2017.03.039.
- Zhang, Y., Sun, Z., van Zuijlen, A. and van Bussel, G. (2017). Numerical simulation of transitional flow on a wind turbine airfoil with RANS-based transition model. Journal of Turbulence, 18(9), pp. 879–898. doi:10.1080/14685248.2017.1334908.
- Zhang, Z.B., Wu, Y., Jia, M., Song, H.M., Sun, Z.Z. and Li, Y.H. (2017). Modeling and optimization of the multichannel spark discharge. Chinese Physics B, 26(6). doi:10.1088/1674-1056/26/6/065204.
- Zhang, Z., Wu, Y., Sun, Z., Song, H., Jia, M., Zong, H. … Li, Y. (2017). Experimental research on multichannel discharge circuit and multi-electrode plasma synthetic jet actuator. Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 50(16), pp. 165205–165205. doi:10.1088/1361-6463/aa6372.
- Sun, Z. and Bruecker, C. (2017). Investigation of the Vortex Ring Transition using Scanning Tomo-PIV. Experiments in Fluids, 58, pp. 1–12. doi:10.1007/s00348-017-2322-1.
- Zhang, Z., Wu, Y., Jia, M., Song, H., Sun, Z., Zong, H. … Li, Y. (2017). The multichannel discharge plasma synthetic jet actuator. Sensors and Actuators, A: Physical, 253, pp. 112–117. doi:10.1016/j.sna.2016.11.011.
- Sun, Z. (2015). Micro Vortex Generators for Boundary Layer Control: Principles and Applications. International Journal of Flow Control, 7(1-2), pp. 67–86. doi:10.1260/1756-8250.7.1-2.67.
- Wang, X., Yan, Y., Sun, Z. and Liu, C. (2014). The Vortical Structures in the Rear Separation and Wake Produced by a Supersonic Micro-Ramp. Flow, Turbulence and Combustion, 93(1), pp. 25–36. doi:10.1007/s10494-014-9531-y.
- Sun, Z., Scarano, F., van Oudheusden, B.W., Schrijer, F.F.J., Yan, Y. and Liu, C. (2014). Numerical and experimental investigations of the supersonic microramp wake. AIAA Journal, (4). doi:10.2514/1.J052649.
- Wang, X., Yan, Y., Sun, Z. and Liu, C. (2014). LES investigation into the generation of momentum deficits in the supersonic wake of a micro-ramp. Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, 28(4), pp. 1327–1337. doi:10.1007/s12206-013-1164-x.
- Sun, Z., Schrijer, F.F.J., Scarano, F. and van Oudheusden, B.W. (2014). Decay of the supersonic turbulent wakes from micro-ramps. Physics of Fluids, 26(2). doi:10.1063/1.4866012.
- Sun, Z., Schrijer, F.F.J., Scarano, F. and van Oudheusden, B.W. (2012). The three-dimensional flow organization past a micro-ramp in a supersonic boundary layer. Physics of Fluids, 24(5). doi:10.1063/1.4711372.
London EC1V 0HB
Dr Sun joined City in January 2015 as Lecturer in Aeronautics. His research activities are in the area of experimental aerodynamics. His current research is on the Unsteadiness of Transitional Boundary Layer Separation using Tomographic PIV and Infrared Thermography. His other research interests include:
- Flow control
- Unsteady aerodynamics
- Wind tunnel experiment
- PIV technology
Prior to the present position, he carried out the postdoctoral research in the University of Minnesota since October 2013. His work was mainly in the NSF project of Multi-Scale 3D Observation System for Predator-Prey Interaction.
Dr Sun obtained his PhD degree in the Delft University of Technology in the Netherlands, his PhD research was on the micro ramp vortex generator for supersonic boundary layer control. During his PhD period, he also did a short term visiting research in the University of Texas at Arlington.
Students with strong motivations in Experimental Aerodynamics are welcomed to joined the Experimental Aerodynamics Group in the City University London.
Scholars with PhD degrees are also welcomed to carry out postdoctoral researches. We are happy to host highly motivated scholars!
Please feel free to send out your inquiry to Zhengzhong.Sun@City.ac.uk
You are also welcome to visit the website of our group: sites.google.com/site/cityuniversitylondonaero
- PhD, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, Oct 2009 – Sep 2012
- MEng, Northwestern Polytechnical University, China, Sep 2007 – Aug 2009
- BEng, Northwestern Polytechnical University, China, Sep 2003 – Jul 2007
- Postdoctoral Associate, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, Oct 2013 – Dec 2014
- Visiting Scholar, University of Texas at Arlington, Feb – May 2012
Delft University of Technology
Thesis: Micro ramps for supersonic boundary layer control - an experimental and numerical study
Advisor: Prof. Dr. Fulvio Scarano
Northwestern Polytechnical University
Northwestern Polytechnical University
Descriptions of the active research activities can be found on our website:
- Liu, C., Sun, Z., Wang, X. and Yan, Y. (2013). The Vortical Structures in the Rear Separation and Wake Produced by a Supersonic Micro-Ramp. 51st AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting including the New Horizons Forum and Aerospace Exposition.
- Sun, Z., Scarano, F., Van Oudheusden, B., Schrijer, F., Wang, X., Yan, Y. … Liu, C. (2013). Numerical and Experimental Investigations of the Flow behind a Supersonic Micro-Ramp. 51st AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting including the New Horizons Forum and Aerospace Exposition.
Publications by category
Conference papers and proceedings (12)
- Sun, Z., Miao, X. and Jagadeesh, C. (2019). Transonic Shock Wave Boundary Layer Interaction over an Airfoil-Like Bump. 54th 3AF International Conference on Applied Aerodynamcis 25-27 March, Paris.
- Sun, Z. (2018). Converged high-speed schlieren for shock wave boundary layer interaction study. Royal Aeronautical Society Applied Aerodynamics Conference 24-26 July, Bristol, UK.
- Sun, Z. and Bruecker, C. (2018). Short wavelength instability in the vortex ring during impingement onto a solid wall. 19th International Symposium on the Application of Laser and Imaging Techniques to Fluid Mechanics 16-19 July, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Sun, Z., Gan, T. and Wu, Y. (2018). Shock wave boundary layer interaction studied by high-speed schlieren. 19th International Symposium on the Application of Laser and Imaging Techniques to Fluid Mechanics 16-19 July, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Sun, Z. and Bruecker, C. (2017). Vortex ring impingement measured by scanning PIV. 12th International Symposium on Particle Image Velocimetry 18-22 June, Busan, South Korea.
- Sun, Z. and Bruecker, C. (2016). PIV Study of Flow Separations at a Forward-Facing Step
using Long-Range Microscope. 2016 Applied Aerodynamics Conference 19-21 July, Bristol, UK.
- Coelho, L., Placidi, M., Atkin, C. and Sun, Z. (2016). Experimental Investigation of a Handley Page Triple Slotted Aerofoil. 2016 Applied Aerodynamics Conference 19-21 July, Bristol, UK.
- Sun, Z., Bruecker, C. and Pointz, B. (2016). Transition of A Vortex Ring Visualized by 3D Scanning TomoPIV. 18th International Symposium on Applications of Laser Techniques to Fluid Mechanics 4-7 July, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Miao, X., Zhang, Q., Atkin, C. and Sun, Z. (2016). End-Wall Secondary Flow Control Using Engineered Residual Surface Structure. ASME Turbo Expo 2016: Turbomachinery Technical Conference and Exposition 13-17 June.
- Sun, Z., Longmire, E.K. and Krizan, D. (2014). Interactions of copepods with fractal-grid generated turbulence based on Tomo-PIV and 3D-PTV. 67th Annual Meeting of the APS Division of Fluid Dynamics 23-25 November, San Francisco.
- Sun, Z., Schrijer, F.F.J., van Oudheusden, B.W. and Scarano, F. (2013). Decay Of the turbulent wake from the supersonic micro ramp. 8th international symposium on turbulence and shear flow phenomena 28-30 August, Poitiers, France.
- Sun, Z., Schrijer, F.F.J., Scarano, F. and van Oudheusden, B.W. PIV investigation of the 3D instantaneous flow organization behind a micro-ramp in a supersonic boundary layer. 28th International Symposium on Shock Waves Manchester.