- Bennett, T. (2020). The justification of a music city: Handbooks, intermediaries and value disputes in a global policy assemblage. City, Culture and Society, 22, pp. 100354–100354. doi:10.1016/j.ccs.2020.100354.
- Bennett, T. (2020). Towards ‘Embedded Non-creative Work’? Administration, digitisation and the recorded music industry. International Journal of Cultural Policy, 26(2), pp. 223–238. doi:10.1080/10286632.2018.1479399.
- Bennett, T. (2018). "The Whole Feminist Taking-Your-Clothes-off-Thing": Negotiating the Critique of Gender Inequality in UK Music Industries. IASPM@Journal, 8(1), pp. 24–41. doi:10.5429/2079-3871(2018)v8i1.4en.
- Bennett, T. (2017). The Production and Consumption of Music in the Digital Age. Popular Music and Society, 40(2), pp. 242–244. doi:10.1080/03007766.2017.1276332.
- Bennett, T. (2011). From Postfiction to Protofiction: Conspiracy Theory, Social Networks, and Confabulation. Dandelion: Postgraduate Arts Journal and Research Network, 1(1). doi:10.16995/ddl.233.
London EC1V 0HB
Toby Bennett is a Research Fellow at the Centre for Culture and the Creative Industries, working on the CICERONE project (EU Horizon 2020) with Prof. Andy Pratt and Dr Jenny Mbaye. Working across the European continent, the project applies a global production network (GPN) approach to creative economy flows of trade and labour. The City team are particularly following the book and journal publishing subsector, alongside the transnational regulatory environment for culture.
More generally, Dr Bennett's research focuses on cultural economies, particularly issues of work, organisation, policy and knowledge, across different scales. His previous work has been concerned with production contexts in commercial popular music. He is currently writing up a book on employee experiences of digital transition in UK major record labels, based on doctoral research (KCL, 2016); is interested in the recent emergence of the "music city" policy concept; and in the creative economy as a site of knowledge flows.
- PhD, King's College, London, United Kingdom, 2016
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Solent University, 2016 – 2019
Publications by category
- Bennett, T. (2020). Re-Rewind: Heritage, Representation and Music City Aspiration in Southampton. Music Cities (pp. 19–42). Cham: Palgrave Macmillan. ISBN 978-3-030-35871-6.
- Bennett, T. (2018). “Essential—Passion for Music”: Affirming, Critiquing, and Practising Passionate Work in Creative Industries. The Palgrave Handbook of Creativity at Work (pp. 431–459). Cham: Palgrave Macmillan. ISBN 978-3-319-77349-0.