- Miah, S., Milonidis, E., Kaparias, I. and Karcanias, N. (2020). An Innovative Multi-Sensor Fusion Algorithm to Enhance Positioning Accuracy of an Instrumented Bicycle. IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, 21(3), pp. 1145–1153. doi:10.1109/tits.2019.2902797.
- Karcanias, N., Leventides, J., Milonidis, E. and Meintanis, I. (2016). Selection of Decentralised Control Structures: Structural Methodologies and Diagnostics. IFAC-PapersOnLine, 49(9), pp. 80–85. doi:10.1016/j.ifacol.2016.07.498.
- Halikias, G., Galanis, G., Karcanias, N. and Milonidis, E. (2013). Nearest common root of polynomials, approximate greatest common divisor and the structured singular value. IMA Journal of Mathematical Control and Information, 30(4), pp. 423–442. doi:10.1093/imamci/dns032.
- Milonidis, E., Kostarigka, A. and Karcanias, N. (2011). Finite settling time stabilisation: the robust SISO case. INT J CONTROL, 84(9), pp. 1521–1532. doi:10.1080/00207179.2011.611949.
- Halikias, G., Tsoulkas, V., Pantelous, A. and Milonidis, E. (2010). Hankel-norm approximation of FIR filters: A descriptor-systems based approach. International Journal of Control, 83(9), pp. 1858–1867. doi:10.1080/00207179.2010.498059.
- Liatsis, P., Goulermas, J.Y., Zeng, X.J. and Milonidis, E. (2009). A flexible visual inspection system based on neural networks. INT J SYST SCI, 40(2), pp. 173–186. doi:10.1080/00207720802630719.
- Liatsis, P., Nazarboland, M.A., Goulermas, J.Y., Zeng, X.J. and Milonidis, E. (2008). Automating the processing of cDNA microarray images. International Journal of Intelligent Systems Technologies and Applications, 5(1-2), pp. 115–144. doi:10.1504/IJISTA.2008.01817.
- Halikias, G., Milonidis, E. and Jaimoukha, I.M. (2007). Robust stabilisation of multivariable systems: Directionality and super-optimisation. Special Issue on Modern Mathematical Methods in Science and Technology, Bulletin of the Greek Mathematical Society, 54, pp. 143–166.
- Karcanias, N., Sagianos, E. and Milonidis, E. (2007). Structured transfer function matrices, integer matrices and computation of the generic McMillan degree and infinite zero structure. INT J CONTROL, 80(9), pp. 1404–1420. doi:10.1080/00207170701316632.
- Milonidis, E. and Karcanias, N. (2006). Finite settling time stabilisation for multivariable discrete-time systems: A polynomial equation approach. International Journal of Control, 79(12), pp. 1565–1580. doi:10.1080/00207170600865341.
- Milonidis, E. and Karcanias, N. (1991). Finite settling time stabilisation for a family of discrete time systems. Kybernetika, 27(4), pp. 371–383.
- Prapas, D.E., Norton, B., Milonidis, E. and Probert, S.D. (1988). Response function for solar-energy collectors. Solar Energy, 40(4), pp. 371–383. doi:10.1016/0038-092X(88)90010-2.
London EC1V 0HB
Dr Efstathios Milonidis received his first degree in Electrical Engineering from the National Technical University of Athens, his MSc in Control Engineering and his MPhil in Aerodynamics and Flight Mechanics from Cranfield Institute of Technology, and his PhD in Control Theory and Design from City University. Prior to his present appointment as a Lecturer in Control and Information Systems at the School of Engineering & Mathematical Sciences he was an Associate Research Professor at the Institute of Automation, Danish Technical University, Copenhagen, and an Associate Professor at the Department of Electronics at the Technical University of Thessaloniki, Greece.
His research experience is in the areas of Control Systems Design, Algebraic Control Synthesis Methods, and Sampled and Discrete Time Systems. He has contributed in the development of a methodology for Synthesis of Discrete Time Control schemes based on the problem of "Finite Settling Time Stabilisation" (FSTS) and the development of control based methodology for Control Structure Selection. His main research interests are in Discrete Time Control, Modelling and Simulation of Dynamical Systems, Systems Theory and Graph Methods for Multivariable Control Systems.
- PhD Control Theory & Design, City, University of London, United Kingdom, 1994
- MPhil Aerodynamics & Flight Mechanics, Cranfield University, United Kingdom, 1986
- MSc Industrial Control, Cranfield University, United Kingdom, 1984
- MEng/Diploma Electrical Engineering, National Technical University of Athens, Greece, 1981
- Senior Lecturer, City, University of London, Aug 2010 – present
- Lecturer, City, University of London, Jan 2001 – Jul 2010
- Associate Professor, Technological Educational Institute of Thessaloniki, Apr 1998 – Dec 2000
- Associate Research Professor, Technical University of Denmark, Mar 1997 – Mar 1998
- Research Fellow, City, University of London, 1994 – 1997
- Research Assistant, City, University of London, 1990 – 1994
Memberships of professional organisations
- Institution of Measurement and Control (InstMC), 2013 – present
- Member, Institution of Engineering & Technology (IET), 2004 – present
- Member, Institute of Electrical Engineers, Greece, 1981 – present
- Member, Technical Chamber of Greece, 1981 – present
- Discrete-time control (finite settling time stabilisation).
- Graph approach to multivariable control system design.
- Mathematical modelling and simulation of dynamical systems.
- CAD for control systems.
- Flight control systems design.
Publications by category
- Liatsis, P., Hussain, A.J. and Milonidis, E. (2008). Artificial high-order pipeline recurrent neural networks for financial time series prediction. In Zhang, M. (Ed.), Artificial Higher Order Neural Networks for Economics and Business (pp. 164–189). ISBN 978-1-59904-897-0.
- Karcanias, N. and Milonidis, E. (2007). Introduction to structural methods for linear systems. In M. Thoma, and M. Morari, (Eds.), Mathematical Methods for Robust and Nonlinear Systems (pp. 47–98). springer. ISBN 978-1-84800-024-7.
Conference papers and proceedings (23)
- Kaparias, I., Miah, S., Clegg, S., Gao, Y., Waterson, B. and Milonidis, E. (2021). Measuring the effect of highway design features on cyclist behavior using an instrumented bicycle. 2021 7th International Conference on Models and Technologies for Intelligent Transportation Systems (MT-ITS) 16-17 June.
- Miah, S., Kaparias, I., Ayub, N., Milonidis, E. and Holmes, W. (2019). Measuring cycle riding comfort in Southampton using an instrumented bicycle. 2019 6th International Conference on Models and Technologies for Intelligent Transportation Systems (MT-ITS) 5-7 June.
- Vlahakis, E.E., Milonidis, E. and Halikias, G.D. (2018). Cooperative Distributed LQR Control for Longitudinal Flight of a Formation of Non-Identical Low-Speed Experimental UAV's. 2018 UKACC 12th International Conference on Control (CONTROL) 5-7 September.
- Miah, S., Milonidis, E., Kaparias, I. and Karcanias, N. (2018). A Novel Fusion Algorithm to Improve Localisation Accuracy of an Instrumented Bicycle. 97th Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board 7-11 January, Washington, USA.
- Milonidis, E., Miah, S., Kaparias, I., Stirling, D. and Karcanias, N. (2017). Cyclist 360° Alert: Validation of an Instrumented Bicycle Trajectory Reconstruction Mechanism Using Satellite and Inertial Navigation Systems. UTSG 49th Annual Conference Dublin.
- Tomic, I., Milonidis, E. and Halikias, G.D. (2016). LQR distributed cooperative control of a formation of low-speed experimental UAVs. 2016 UKACC 11th International Conference on Control (CONTROL) 31 Aug 2016 – 2 Sep 2016.
- Leventides, J., Karcanias, N., Meintanis, I. and Milonidis, E. (2014). Reduced Sensitivity Solutions to Global Linearisation of the Pole Assignment Map.
- Karcanias, N., Sagianos, E. and Milonidis, E. (2005). Structural identification: The computation of the generic McMillan degree.
- Milonidis, E. and Karcanias, N. (2002). Multivariable Finite Settling Time Stabilisation: Parametrisation and Properties. 15th IFAC World Congress 21-26 July, Barcelona.
- Karcanias, N. and Milonidis, E. (1998). Structural Identification in Large Scale Systems : Generic McMillan Degree Computation. IFAC Symposium on Large Scale Systems, LSS ‘98 15-17 July, Univ. of Patras, Rio, Greece.
- Mitrouli, M., Leventides, J., Milonidis, E. and Karcanias, N. (1998). An optimization approach to the computation of solutions of the determinental assignment problem. IFAC LSS'98 July, Greece.
- Milonidis, E. (1998). The use of an Extended Kalman Filter (EKF) for the identification of the aerodynamic derivatives of the experimental RPV X-RAE1. 17th IASTED International Conf. in Modeling, Identification and Control February, Switzerland.
- Milonidis, E. and Karcanias, N. (1997). L1-Optimisation and shaping in Finite Settling Time Stabilising Control. ECC ‘97 1-4 July, Brussels.
- Milonidis, E. and Karcanias, N. (1997). L1 optimisation and shaping in Finite Settling Time Stabilising control.
- Milonidis, E. and Karcanias, N. (1996). Simultaneous finite settling time stabilisation: some new results. 13th IFAC World Congress 30 Jun 1996 – 5 Jul 1996, San Francisco.
- Karcanias, N., Shan, X.Y. and Milonidis, E. (1996). Structural Identification Problem in Early Process Design; The Generic MacMillan degree problem. 4th IEEE Mediterranean Symposium, MSCA’ 96 June, Crete, Greece.
- Karcanias, N., Koivo, H.N., Milonidis, E. and Nistazakis, E. (1996). The problem of global process instrumentation: General Issues and Control Design Implications. World Automation Congress 27-30 May, France.
- Milonidis, E., Karcanias, N., Vafiadis, D., Mitrouli, M. and Nissinen, A. (1996). The SESDIP toolboxes and the computational requirement of the structural framework. ASI’96 May, Toulouse, France.
- Milonidis, E. and Leventides, J. (1996). The SESDIP structural approach and the Tennessee Eastman Benchmark Problem. ASI’96 May, Toulouse, France.
- Milonidis, E. and Karcanias, N. (1996). MIMO Finite Settling Time Stabilization: McMillan degree bounds and the minimal design problem.
- Milonidis, E., Karcanias, N. and IEEE, (1996). Two-parameter finite settling time stabilization.
- Karcanias, N. and Milonidis, E. (1996). Robust Multivariable Finite Settling Time Stabilization. 4th IEEE Mediterranean Symposium, MSCA ‘96.
- KARCANIAS, N. and MILONIDIS, E. (1991). FINITE SETTLING TIME STABILIZATION OF A FAMILY OF DISCRETE-TIME-SYSTEMS.