- MacKenzie, S. (2020). “Is All in All”: Exploring Spirituality with People with Expressive Aphasia Using a Phenomenological Approach. Journal of Disability & Religion pp. 1–16. doi:10.1080/23312521.2020.1776189.
- MacKenzie, S. and Marsh, I. (2019). The Philosopher of Ambiguity: Exploring Stories of Spirituality of People with Aphasia Through the Lens of Merleau-Ponty. Journal of Disability & Religion, 23(3), pp. 211–226. doi:10.1080/23312521.2018.1509762.
London EC1V 0HB
Sophie qualified as a speech and language therapist in 1990 and worked for over 20 years predominantly with people with communication and swallowing difficulties as a result of stroke or head injury. She spent 9 years at the Royal Hospital for Neurodisability in Putney, and latterly was Clinical Manager for SLT (adult acute) at Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust. For the last 12 years, she has taught both post and undergraduate pre-registration students at the Universities at Medway, and she joined the Division of Language and Communication Science at City, University of London in March 2020.
Sophie's PhD was a phenomenological study of how people with aphasia express their spirituality, and she has a particular interest in holistic practice.
- Senior Fellowship, Higher Education Academy, Jul 2019
- PhD, Canterbury Christ Church University, United Kingdom, Jan 2012 – Jan 2017
- MSc Human Communication, City, University of London, United Kingdom, 1995 – 1997
- Post graduate diploma, Clinical Communication Studies, City, University London, United Kingdom, 1988 – 1990
- BA (Hons) Modern Languages (French and German), University of Bristol, United Kingdom, 1984 – 1988
- Senior Personal Tutor, City, University of London, Mar 2020 – present
- Programme Director for SLT, University of Greenwich and Canterbury Christ Church University, Dec 2007 – Feb 2020
- Clinical Manager for SLT, Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust, Jan 2004 – Jan 2010
- Senior SLT, United Bristol Healthcare Trust, 2002 – 2003
- Head SLT/ SLT, Royal Hospital for Neuro-disability, 1993 – 2002