- Penry, S. (2017). The Diagnosis of Hepatocellular Carcinoma using Computed Tomography and Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Synergy: imaging and therapy practice, 12.
- Penry, S. (2017). Reply from the Author: CT Trauma. Synergy: imaging and therapy practice, 10.
- Penry, S. (2017). Multi-detector Computed Tomography (MDCT) Trauma imaging of the severely injured patient (SIP). Is there a protocol of choice? Synergy: imaging and therapy practice, 5.
- Penry, S. (2012). Computed Tomography Colonography (CTC): The preferred Alternative Choice. Synergy: imaging and therapy practice, 6.
London EC1V 0HB
Sam is a HCPC registered, lecturer in radiography (diagnostic imaging) within the School of Health Sciences (SHS) and formerly held the position of joint-programme director and clinical co-ordinator for the radiography (diagnostic imaging) programme. Sam has also held the position of admissions tutor for the undergraduate radiography programmes. Prior to joining City in 2018, he worked at Mid Essex Hospitals NHS Trust for approximately seven years, where he took on a number of roles and responsibilities. In 2017, Sam became the youngest recipient of the prestigious 'United Kingdom, Radiographer of the Year Award'.
Whilst predominately working as a Computed Tomography (CT) specialist within the radiology department, he joined a project to become the first diagnostic radiographer to coordinate the Multi Disciplinary Diagnostic Centre (MDC) for the vague symptoms cancer pathway. His 'pioneering role' within this innovative project allowed him to independently perform patient consultations, put patients onto the pathway, request and perform CT imaging, organise and discuss patients at MDT meetings and allowed him to give patients their results. Under IR(ME)R legislation he was recognised as being a referrer as well as being both an operator and practitioner.
Over the years he has published research articles on CT and has also written trust policy on CT Intravenous (IV) contrast administration. He also works as an expert reviewer for Cancer Research UK and has held positions at the British Standards Institute (BSI) and the Society of Radiographers. Whilst Sam teaches across all year groups at City, he is the module leader for the RD3034 Image Interpretation module, RD3036 Management & Advancement of Radiographic Practice module and #RadInd Radiography Induction module.
- Fellow (FHEA) 2019+, Higher Education Academy
- Associate Fellow (AFHEA) 2018 - 2019, Higher Education Academy
- Certificate of Competence in Administering Intravenous Injections, University of Herfordshire, England, UK
- Good Clinical Practice (GCP), National Institute for Health Research
- Certificate - The red dot chest x-ray course for Radiographers, Northwick Park Hospital
- Certificate - The red dot trauma course for Radiographers, Northwick Park Hospital
- Member of the Academy of Medical Educators (MAcadME) 2020+, Academy of Medical Educators
- PGCert (Distinction), University College London (UCL), England, UK
- PgD(AP) (Distinction), City University of London, UK
- BSc (Hons) (First-class), City University London, England, UK
- MSc module (Distinction) Cross sectional imaging, Sheffield Hallam University, England
- Programme Director - Radiography, City University, of London, Nov 2020 – Jun 2021
- Clinical Co-ordinator - Radiography, City University, of London, Nov 2020 – Jun 2021
- Full time lecturer, City University, of London, Mar 2018 – present
- City, University of London (2021) Enhancement of Student Experience Award (School of Health Sciences) - Winner
- City, University of London (2020) Enhancement of Student Experience Award (School of Health Sciences) - Winner
- City, University of London Student Union (The 25th Student Union Awards) (2020) Academic Impact Award (Shortlisted)
- Society and College of Radiographers (2017) United Kingdom Radiographer of the Year - Winner
- Society and College of Radiographers (2017) Eastern Region Radiographer of the Year - Winner
- Mid Essex Hospitals NHS Trust (2017) Chief Executive Letter of Praise
- Mid Essex Hospitals NHS Trust (2016) Chief Executive Letter of Praise
- City University, London (2012) City University Award Prize - Winner
Publications by category
Conference papers and proceedings (2)
- Penry, S. (2014). Safeguarding Radiography Education – Motion 60. Annual Delegates Conference (ADC) Society of Radiographers (SoR)..
- Penry, S. (2013). Embracing Quality Care for people with dementia – Motion 10. Annual Delegates Conference (ADC) Society of Radiographers (SoR).
Journal articles (4)
- Penry, S. 16031 IV Contrast Media in the Radiology Department: Trust Policy and Clinical Guideline” Mid Essex Hospitals NHS Trust.