- Gillard, S., Foster, R., White, S., Barlow, S., Bhattacharya, R., Binfield, P. … Worner, J. (2022). The impact of working as a peer worker in mental health services: a longitudinal mixed methods study. BMC Psychiatry, 22(1). doi:10.1186/s12888-022-03999-9.
- Parker, M., Barlow, S., Hoe, J. and Aitken, L.M. (2022). The Bubble of Normalisation: A Qualitative Study of Carers of People With Dementia Who Do Not Seek Help for a Diagnosis. Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry and Neurology, 35(5), pp. 717–732. doi:10.1177/08919887211060018.
- Gillard, S., Barlow, S., Bremner, S., Foster, R., Gibson, S., Goldsmith, L. … White, S. (2022). Peer support for discharge from inpatient mental health care – Authors' reply. The Lancet Psychiatry, 9(7), pp. 542–543. doi:10.1016/s2215-0366(22)00205-x.
- Röhricht, F., Padmanabhan, R., Binfield, P., Mavji, D. and Barlow, S. (2021). Simple Mobile technology health management tool for people with severe mental illness: a randomised controlled feasibility trial. BMC Psychiatry, 21(1). doi:10.1186/s12888-021-03359-z.
- Ahmed, N., Barlow, S., Reynolds, L., Drey, N., Begum, F., Tuudah, E. … Simpson, A. (2021). Mental health professionals’ perceived barriers and enablers to shared decision-making in risk assessment and risk management: a qualitative systematic review. BMC Psychiatry, 21(1). doi:10.1186/s12888-021-03304-0.
- Marks, J., Foster, R., Gibson, S.L., Simpson, A., Rinaldi, M., Repper, J. … Gillard, S. (2021). Development of a peer support intervention to improve the experience and outcomes of discharge from inpatient mental health care: the role of experiential knowledge in a coproduced approach. BMC Research Notes, 14(1). doi:10.1186/s13104-021-05735-0.
- White, S., Foster, R., Marks, J., Morshead, R., Goldsmith, L., Barlow, S. … Gillard, S. (2020). The effectiveness of one-to-one peer support in mental health services: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Psychiatry, 20(1). doi:10.1186/s12888-020-02923-3.
- Parker, M., Barlow, S., Hoe, J. and Aitken, L. (2020). Persistent barriers and facilitators to seeking help for a dementia diagnosis: a systematic review of 30 years of the perspectives of carers and people with dementia. International Psychogeriatrics, 32(5), pp. 611–634. doi:10.1017/s1041610219002229.
- Coffey, M., Hannigan, B., Barlow, S., Cartwright, M., Cohen, R., Faulkner, A. … Simpson, A. (2019). Recovery-focused mental health care planning and co-ordination in acute inpatient mental health settings: a cross national comparative mixed methods study. BMC Psychiatry, 19(1). doi:10.1186/s12888-019-2094-7.
- Flood, C., Barlow, S., Simpson, A., Burls, A., Price, A., Cartwright, M. … Brini, S. (2018). What utility scores do mental health service users, healthcare professionals and members of the general public attribute to different health states? A co-produced mixed methods online survey. PLOS ONE, 13(10). doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0205223.
- Hannigan, B., Simpson, A., Coffey, M., Barlow, S. and Jones, A. (2018). Care Coordination as Imagined, Care Coordination as Done: Findings from a Cross-national Mental Health Systems Study. International Journal of Integrated Care, 18(3). doi:10.5334/ijic.3978.
- Barlow, S., Fahey, B., Smith, K., Passecker, J., Della-Chiesa, A., Hok, V. … O'Mara, S. (2018). Deficits in temporal order memory induced by interferon-alpha (IFN-α) treatment are rescued by aerobic exercise. Brain Research Bulletin, (140), pp. 212–219. doi:10.1016/j.brainresbull.2018.05.012.
- Simpson, A., Coffey, M., Hannigan, B., Barlow, S., Cohen, R., Jones, A. … Marlowe, K. (2017). Cross-national mixed-methods comparative case study of recovery-focused mental health care planning and co-ordination in acute inpatient mental health settings (COCAPP-A). Health Services and Delivery Research, 5(26), pp. 1–234. doi:10.3310/hsdr05260.
- Coffey, M., Cohen, R., Faulkner, A., Hannigan, B., Simpson, A. and Barlow, S. (2017). Ordinary risks and accepted fictions: how contrasting and competing priorities work in risk assessment and mental health care planning. Health Expectations, 20(3), pp. 471–483. doi:10.1111/hex.12474.
- Simpson, A., Hannigan, B., Coffey, M., Barlow, S., Cohen, R., Jones, A. … Cartwright, M. (2016). Recovery-focused care planning and coordination in England and Wales: a cross-national mixed methods comparative case study. BMC Psychiatry, 16(1). doi:10.1186/s12888-016-0858-x.
- Simpson, A., Hannigan, B., Coffey, M., Jones, A., Barlow, S., Cohen, R. … Faulkner, A. (2016). Cross-national comparative mixed-methods case study of recovery-focused mental health care planning and co-ordination: Collaborative Care Planning Project (COCAPP). Health Services and Delivery Research, 4(5), pp. 1–190. doi:10.3310/hsdr04050.
- Simpson, A., Hannigan, B., Coffey, M., Jones, A., Barlow, S., Cohen, R. … Haddad, M. (2015). Study protocol: cross-national comparative case study of recovery-focused mental health care planning and coordination (COCAPP). BMC Psychiatry, 15(1). doi:10.1186/s12888-015-0538-2.
- Passecker, J., Barlow, S. and O’Mara, S.M. (2014). Dissociating effects of acute photic stress on spatial, episodic-like and working memory in the rat. Behavioural Brain Research, 272, pp. 218–225. doi:10.1016/j.bbr.2014.07.007.
- Barlow, S., Dixey, R., Todd, J., Taylor, V., Carney, S. and Newell, R. (2014). ‘Abandoned by Medicine’? A qualitative study of women's experiences with lymphoedema secondary to cancer, and the implications for care. Primary Health Care Research & Development, 15(04), pp. 452–463. doi:10.1017/s1463423613000406.
- Simpson, A., Jones, J., Barlow, S. and Cox, L. (2014). Adding SUGAR: Service User and Carer Collaboration in Mental Health Nursing Research. Journal of Psychosocial Nursing and Mental Health Services, 52(1), pp. 22–30. doi:10.3928/02793695-20131126-04.
- Wang, B.W., Hok, V., Della-Chiesa, A., Callaghan, C., Barlow, S., Tsanov, M. … O'Mara, S.M. (2012). Rosiglitazone enhances learning, place cell activity, and synaptic plasticity in middle-aged rats. Neurobiology of Aging, 33(4), pp. 835–835. doi:10.1016/j.neurobiolaging.2011.08.013.
- Tsanov, M., Lyons, D.G., Barlow, S., González Reyes, R.E. and O’Mara, S.M. (2010). The psychostimulant modafinil facilitates water maze performance and augments synaptic potentiation in dentate gyrus. Neuropharmacology, 59(1-2), pp. 9–19. doi:10.1016/j.neuropharm.2010.03.010.
- Fahey, B., Barlow, S., Day, J.S. and O'Mara, S.M. (2008). Interferon-alpha-induced deficits in novel object recognition are rescued by chronic exercise. Physiol Behav, 95((1-2)), pp. 125–129. doi:10.1016/j.physbeh.2008.05.008.
London EC1V 0HB
Sally is a Lecturer in Mental Health Nursing and also a researcher specialising in recovery-focused mental health. She joined City University London in 2013, moving from Yorkshire where she previously worked at the University of Bradford as a Lecturer in Mental Health Nursing.
Sally initially worked and studied at Trinity College Dublin where she completed a PhD in Behavioural Neuroscience. Her key interest at doctoral level was the pathophysiology of depression and anxiety and approaches to ameliorating symptoms. After working at a molecular level 'at the bench' she made the move to healthcare research 'to the bedside'Her first healthcare research position was based at Bradford University working on body image disturbances as a consequence of lymphoedema secondary to cancer. Following this she was appointed as a Lecturer in Mental Health Nursing where she taught diverse subject areas such as pathophysiology, research skills and acute mental health care. She is now teaches biology, research methods and contemporary issues in mental health. Her main area of research has focused on mental health and is now specifically focused on recovery-focused mental health and collaborative care.
BSc (Hons) Neuroscience, PGDip Statistics and PhD Behavioural Neuroscience.
- Patrizia Matteucci (2007) Prize for Best letter of Intent (Grant Writing Forum)
PENS, Blackwell Summer School, Rome
- Health Research Board (HRB) (2004) Scholar award
- Children's Memorial Hospital, Chicago (2002) Scholarship gained for practical training year
- NMM066 Journal Group
Attendance: Feb 2016 – Jan 2020, full-time
Thesis title: Shared Decision Making in Risk Assessments and Risk Management.
Role: 2nd Supervisor
Thesis title: To identify and understand the experiences of people who receive a dementia diagnosis during an acute hospital admission
Role: 2nd Supervisor
Publications by category
Journal articles (23)
Editorial activity (2)
- Peer review of submitted journals, Editorial board membership - British Journal of Psychiatry Bulletin, Sep 2015 – present.
- Peer Reviewer for the following:
NIHR Public Health Research Grants Programme.
- Chair - Policy UK Forum Event. (Public lecture) The Kings Fund
Paper: Rethinking approaches to Mental Health, The 5 year Forward View for Prevention, Treatment and Support
Author: Barlow. S