- Coates, R., Cupples, G., Scamell, A. and McCourt, C. (2021). Re: BJOG Debate. Induction of labour should be offered to all women at term. FOR: Induction of labour should be offered at term. BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 128(5), p. 935. doi:10.1111/1471-0528.16628.
- Bhide, A., Sedgwick, P., Barrett, B., Cupples, G., Coates, R., Goode, R. … McCourt, C. (2020). Prostaglandin insert dinoprostone versus trans-cervical balloon catheter for outpatient labour induction: A randomised controlled trial of feasibility (PROBIT-F). Pilot and Feasibility Studies, 6(1). doi:10.1186/s40814-020-00661-7.
- Coates, R., Ayers, S., de Visser, R. and Thornton, A. (2020). Evaluation of the CORE-10 to assess psychological distress in pregnancy. Journal of Reproductive and Infant Psychology, 38(3), pp. 311–323. doi:10.1080/02646838.2019.1702631.
- Coates, R., Cupples, G., Scamell, A., McCourt, C. and Bhide, A. (2020). Women's experiences of outpatient induction of labour with double balloon catheter or prostaglandin pessary: A qualitative study. Women and Birth. doi:10.1016/j.wombi.2020.07.006.
- Delicate, A. and Coates, R. (2019). Highlights from the 39th Society for Reproductive and Infant Psychology conference, London 2019. Journal of Reproductive and Infant Psychology, 37(5), pp. 453–454. doi:10.1080/02646838.2019.1673566.
- Coates, R., Cupples, G., Scamell, A. and McCourt, C. (2019). Women's experiences of induction of labour: Qualitative systematic review and thematic synthesis. Midwifery, 69, pp. 17–28. doi:10.1016/j.midw.2018.10.013.
- Coates, R., Rocca-Ihenacho, L., Olander, E., Ayers, S. and Salmon, D. (2019). A postgraduate Optimum Birth module to increase midwives’ readiness to work in midwifery-led settings: A mixed-methods evaluation. Birth, 46(3), pp. 533–539. doi:10.1111/birt.12399.
- Olander, E., Coates, R., Brook, J., Ayers, S. and Salmon, D. (2018). A multi-method evaluation of interprofessional education for healthcare professionals caring for women during and after pregnancy. Journal of Interprofessional Care, 32(4), pp. 509–512. doi:10.1080/13561820.2018.1437124.
- Coates, R., Ayers, S. and de Visser, R. (2017). Factor structure of the Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale in a population-based sample. Psychological Assessment, 29(8), pp. 1016–1027. doi:10.1037/pas0000397.
- Coates, R., De Visser, R. and Ayers, S. (2015). Not identifying with postnatal depression: A qualitative study of womens postnatal symptoms of distress and need for support. Journal of Psychosomatic Obstetrics and Gynecology, 36(3), pp. 114–121. doi:10.3109/0167482X.2015.1059418.
- Coates, R., Ayers, S. and de Visser, R. (2014). Women's experiences of postnatal distress: A qualitative study. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth, 14(1). doi:10.1186/1471-2393-14-359.
- Meades, R. and Ayers, S. (2011). Anxiety measures validated in perinatal populations: A systematic review. Journal of Affective Disorders, 133(1-2), pp. 1–15. doi:10.1016/j.jad.2010.10.009.
- Meades, R., Pond, C., Ayers, S. and Warren, F. (2011). Postnatal debriefing: Have we thrown the baby out with the bath water? Behaviour Research and Therapy, 49(5), pp. 367–372. doi:10.1016/j.brat.2011.03.002.
London EC1V 0HB
Rose is a mixed-methods researcher in the Centre for Maternal and Child Health Research. Rose's background is in clinical health psychology, and she has particular interests in maternal mental health. Her expertise lie in the areas of measurement of maternal and infant mental health, women's experiences of mental health and of maternity care, and induction of labour. Rose also works on service evaluations in these areas.
Current Research Projects:
* Methods of Assessing Perinatal Anxiety: Acceptability, effectiveness and feasibility of different approaches (NIHR).
* Perinatal mental health assessment and treatment: Evidence synthesis and conceptual framework of barriers and
facilitators to implementation (NIHR).
* Evaluation of Together with Baby Service (Parent-Infant Foundation UK / National Lottery Fund).
* Prevalence and risk factors for postpartum depression and post-traumatic stress disorder in Brazil. British Council Newton
Fund (British Council Newton Fund).
Previous Research Projects:
* Prostaglandin Insert (Propess) Versus Trans-cervical Balloon Catheter for Out-patient Labour Induction: A Randomised
Controlled Trial of Feasibility (NIHR).
* Measures of parent-infant interaction and attachment: A systematic review (Family Action).
* Collaboration in perinatal mental health (City, University of London).
* Evaluation of an MSc Optimum Birth module for midwives (Community Education Provider Network)
- PhD Psychology, University of Sussex, United Kingdom, Oct 2009 – Jul 2016
- MSc Experimental Psychology, University of Sussex, United Kingdom, Oct 2008 – Aug 2009
- BA (Hons) History, University of Sussex, United Kingdom, Sep 2001 – Jun 2004
- Research Fellow (part time), City, University of London, Nov 2017 – present
- Research Assistant (part time), City, University of London, Oct 2016 – Jan 2018
- Associate Lecturer, The Open University, Apr 2011 – Jun 2019
- Liz Dudeney, Research Student
Publications by category
- Coates, R. and Ayers, S. (2019). Screening: Antenatal. Cambridge Handbook of Psychology, Health and Medicine: Third Edition (pp. 407–409). ISBN 978-0-511-54357-9.
- Ayers, S., Coates, R. and Matthey, S. (2014). Identifying Perinatal Anxiety. Identifying Perinatal Depression and Anxiety: Evidence-Based Practice in Screening, Psychosocial Assessment, and Management (pp. 93–107). ISBN 978-1-118-50965-4.