- White, S., Hurren, A., James, S. and Knight, R. (2022). ‘I think that's what I heard? I'm not sure’: Speech and language therapists’ views of, and practices in, phonetic transcription. International Journal of Language & Communication Disorders, 57(5), pp. 1071–1084. doi:10.1111/1460-6984.12740.
- Attenborough, J., Abbott, S., Brook, J. and Knight, R.-.A. (2019). Everywhere and nowhere: Work-based learning in healthcare education. Nurse Education in Practice, 36, pp. 132–138. doi:10.1016/j.nepr.2019.03.004.
- Attenborough, J., Knight, R.-.A. and Brook, J. (2018). Developing and sustaining a Community of Practice through Twitter for work-based learning. Evidence Based Nursing, 21(4), pp. 89–90. doi:10.1136/eb-2018-102981.
- Attenborough, J., Knight, R.-.A. and Parker, P. (2018). Undergraduate student views about assessment workload. Educational Developments, (19.3), pp. 14–16.
- Knight, R.-.A., Bandali, C., Woodhead, C. and Vansadia, P. (2018). Clinicians’ views of the training, use and maintenance of phonetic transcription in speech and language therapy. International Journal of Language & Communication Disorders, 53(4), pp. 776–787. doi:10.1111/1460-6984.12381.
- Knight, R.-.A., Dipper, L. and Cruice, M. (2018). Viva survivors – the effect of peer-mentoring on pre-viva anxiety in early-years students. Studies in Higher Education, 43(1), pp. 190–199. doi:10.1080/03075079.2016.1161018.
- Saunder, L. and Knight, R.-.A. (2017). CitySCaPE: Moving beyond indifference in education for pre-registration nurses about learning disability. Nurse Education in Practice, 26, pp. 82–88. doi:10.1016/j.nepr.2017.07.008.
- Hrastelj, L. and Knight, R.-.A. (2017). Ingressive speech errors: a service evaluation of speech-sound therapy in a child aged 4;6. International Journal of Language & Communication Disorders, 52(4), pp. 479–488. doi:10.1111/1460-6984.12287.
- Brook, J., Salmon, D. and Knight, R.-.A. (2017). Preparing the sexual health workforce to deliver integrated services: is education the answer? A qualitative study exploring the impact of sexual health education on developing integrated policy and practice. Primary Health Care Research & Development, 18(03), pp. 270–281. doi:10.1017/s1463423617000123.
- Castick, S., Knight, R.-.A. and Sell, D. (2017). Perceptual Judgments of Resonance, Nasal Airflow, Understandability, and Acceptability in Speakers with Cleft Palate: Ordinal versus Visual Analogue Scaling. The Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal, 54(1), pp. 19–31. doi:10.1597/15-164.
- Knight, R.-.A. and Botting, N. (2016). Organising undergraduate research projects: student-led and academic-led models. Journal of Applied Research in Higher Education, 8(4), pp. 455–468. doi:10.1108/jarhe-07-2015-0054.
- Knight, R.A., Kurtz, S. and Georgiadou, I. (2015). Speech production in children with Down's syndrome: The effects of reading, naming and imitation. Clinical Linguistics and Phonetics, 29(8-10), pp. 598–612. doi:10.3109/02699206.2015.1019006.
- Smith, R., Holmes-Elliott, S., Pettinato, M. and Knight, R.-.A. (2014). Cross-Accent Intelligibility of Speech in Noise: Long-Term Familiarity and Short-Term Familiarization. Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology, 67(3), pp. 590–608. doi:10.1080/17470218.2013.822009.
- Knight, R. (2014). Reflections on a ‘sustained teaching excellence’ award. Learning at City Journal, 4(2), pp. 50–52.
- Knight, R.A., Dipper, L. and Cruice, M. (2013). The use of video in addressing anxiety prior to viva voce exams. British Journal of Educational Technology, 44(6). doi:10.1111/bjet.12090.
- Waring, R. and Knight, R. (2013). How should children with speech sound disorders be classified? A review and critical evaluation of current classification systems. Int J Lang Commun Disord, 48(1), pp. 25–40. doi:10.1111/j.1460-6984.2012.00195.x.
- Knight, R.A. (2011). Assessing the temporal reliability of rhythm metrics. Journal of the International Phonetic Association, 41(3), pp. 271–281. doi:10.1017/S0025100311000326.
- Knight, R.A. (2010). Transcribing nonsense words: The effect of numbers of voices and repetitions. Clinical Linguistics and Phonetics, 24(6), pp. 473–484. doi:10.3109/02699200903491267.
- Knight, R. (2010). The shape of nuclear falls and their effect on the perception of pitch and prominence: peaks vs. plateaux. Language and Speech, 51(3), pp. 223–244.
- Knight, R. (2010). Sounds for study: Speech and language therapy students' use and perception of exercise podcasts for phonetics. International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, 22(3).
- Knight, R.-.A. and Cocks, N. (2007). Rhythm in the speech of a person with right hemisphere damage: Applying the pairwise variability index. Advances in Speech Language Pathology, 9(3), pp. 256–264.
- Knight, R.-.A. and Nolan, F. (2006). The effect of pitch span on intonational plateaux. Journal of the International Phonetic Association, 36(1), pp. 21–38.
London EC1V 0HB
Rachael-Anne is a phonetician with interests in prosody, psycholinguistics and pedagogy.
Rachael-Anne completed a BA at the University of Roehampton, where she fell in love with linguistics and went on to study for an MSc in Speech and Hearing Sciences at UCL. After a brief period as a research assistant working with prosody in speech synthesis she moved to the University of Cambridge, to complete a PhD in phonetics. Rachael-Anne joined City, University of London in 2005. Her main areas of phonetics research involve intonation, rhythm, rhotics, clinical phonetics and accent perception.
Rachael-Anne has a strong interest in education and pedagogy and sits on the steering group of the Educational Research group in the School of Health and Psychological Sciences. She has been a Principal Fellow of the Higher Education Academy since 2015, and a National Teaching Fellow since 2016.
As Associate Dean Education from 2014-2021 she had strategic responsibility for these aspects across the then School of Health Sciences, and worked on a number of cross-institutional projects such as learning spaces and learning analytics, whilst leading on the institutional policy for lecture capture. She is currently sponsor of a project concerning hybrid teaching at City.
Rachael-Anne has a particular interest in assessment and feedback, particularly in relation to external examining. She leads on External Examining appointments across City, and runs induction and professional development activities in this area.
Outside of City, Rachael-Anne leads the London and Southeast network of Principal Fellows, organising three meetings a year for members to share best practice in relation to sector wide issues.
- PhD Linguistics (Phonetics), University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
- MSc Speech and Hearing Sciences, University College London, United Kingdom
- BA English Language and Linguistics, and English Literature (Joint Honours), University of Roehampton, United Kingdom
French (can read and write).
- Hongzhi Wang, Research Student
Publications by category
- Knight, R.-.A. and Setter, J. (2021). The Cambridge Handbook of Phonetics. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-1-108-59656-5.
- Knight, R. (2014). Methods in Teaching Clinical Phonetics and Linguistics. Whitworth, N. (Ed.), j&R Press. ISBN 978-1-907826-19-1.
- Jones, M.J. and Knight, R.-.A. (2013). Bloomsbury Companion to Phonetics. Knight, R.-.A. and Jones, M.J. (Eds.), Bloomsbury. ISBN 978-1-4411-4606-9.
- Knight, R. Phonetics a Coursebook. CUP.
- Knight, R. and Nolan, F. (2004). The realisation of intonational plateaux: Effects of foot structure. Cambridge occasional papers in linguistics (pp. 157–164).
Conference papers and proceedings (5)
- Parker, P., Quinsee, S. and Knight, R.-.A. (2019). CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT AND MAINTAINING GOOD STANDING OF FELLOWS OF THE HIGHER EDUCATION ACADEMY. 13th International Technology, Education and Development Conference 11-13 March. doi:10.21125/inted.2019.0850
- Knight, R. (2009). Feeling confident about transcription (?): A student survey concerning numbers of repetitions and new voices. Phonetics Teaching and Learning Conference University College London.
- Knight, R., Villafana Dalcher, C. and Jones, M.J. (2007). A real-time case study of rhotic acquisition in Southern British English.
- Knight, R. (2002). The influence of pitch span on intonational plateaux. Aix-en-Provence, France.
- Knight, R., Villafana Dalcher, C. and Jones, M.J. Cue switching in the perception of approximants: evidence from two English dialects'.
Journal articles (22)
- Brook, J., Salmon, , Knight, R.A. and Seal, J. (2015). Sexual Health Education: an evaluation of the Northumbria Integrated Sexual Health Education (NISHE) Workforce Development Package delivered by UWE, Bristol. UWE, Bristol. ISBN 978-1-86043-525-6.