- Aqel, O.A., White, M.T., Khader, M.A. and Sayma, A.I. (2021). Sensitivity of transcritical cycle and turbine design to dopant fraction in CO2-based working fluids. Applied Thermal Engineering, 190. doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2021.116796.
- White, M.T., Bianchi, G., Chai, L., Tassou, S.A. and Sayma, A.I. (2021). Review of supercritical CO2 technologies and systems for power generation. Applied Thermal Engineering, 185. doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2020.116447.
- White, M.T., Read, M.G. and Sayma, A.I. (2020). Making the case for cascaded organic Rankine cycles for waste-heat recovery. Energy, 211. doi:10.1016/j.energy.2020.118912.
- Salah, S.I., Khader, M.A., White, M.T. and Sayma, A.I. (2020). Mean-Line Design of a Supercritical CO2 Micro Axial Turbine. Applied Sciences, 10(15), pp. 5069–5069. doi:10.3390/app10155069.
- White, M.T. and Sayma, A.I. (2020). A new method to identify the optimal temperature of latent-heat thermal-energy storage systems for power generation from waste heat. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 149. doi:10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2019.119111.
- White, M.T. and Sayma, A.I. (2019). Simultaneous cycle optimization and fluid selection for ORC systems accounting for the effect of the operating conditions on turbine efficiency. Frontiers in Energy Research, 7(JUN). doi:10.3389/fenrg.2019.00050.
- White, M.T., Oyewunmi, O.A., Chatzopoulou, M.A., Pantaleo, A.M., Haslam, A.J. and Markides, C.N. (2018). Computer-aided working-fluid design, thermodynamic optimisation and thermoeconomic assessment of ORC systems for waste-heat recovery. Energy, 161, pp. 1181–1198. doi:10.1016/j.energy.2018.07.098.
- White, M.T., Markides, C.N. and Sayma, A.I. (2018). Working-fluid replacement in supersonic organic rankine cycle turbines. Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 140(9). doi:10.1115/1.4038754.
- White, M.T. and Sayma, A.I. (2018). A generalised assessment of working fluids and radial turbines for non-recuperated subcritical organic rankine cycles. Energies, 11(4). doi:10.3390/en11040800.
- White, M.T., Oyewunmi, O.A., Haslam, A.J. and Markides, C.N. (2017). Industrial waste-heat recovery through integrated computer-aided working-fluid and ORC system optimisation using SAFT-Γ Mie. Energy Conversion and Management, 150, pp. 851–869. doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2017.03.048.
- White, M.T., Oyewunmi, O.A., Chatzopoulou, M.A., Pantaleo, A.M., Haslam, A.J. and Markides, C.N. (2017). Integrated computer-aided working-fluid design and thermoeconomic ORC system optimisation. Energy Procedia, 129, pp. 152–159. doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2017.09.095.
- Unamba, C.K., White, M., Sapin, P., Freeman, J., Lecompte, S., Oyewunmi, O.A. … Markides, C.N. (2017). Experimental Investigation of the Operating Point of a 1-kW ORC System. Energy Procedia, 129, pp. 875–882. doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2017.09.211.
- White, M., Sayma, A.I. and Markides, C.N. (2017). Supersonic flow of non-ideal fluids in nozzles: An application of similitude theory and lessons for ORC turbine design and flexible use considering system performance. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 821(1). doi:10.1088/1742-6596/821/1/012002.
- White, M. and Sayma, A.I. (2016). Improving the economy-of-scale of small organic rankine cycle systems through appropriate working fluid selection. Applied Energy, 183, pp. 1227–1239. doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2016.09.055.
- White, M. and Sayma, A.I. (2015). The Application of Similitude Theory for the Performance Prediction of Radial Turbines Within Small-Scale Low-Temperature Organic Rankine Cycles. Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 137(12). doi:10.1115/1.4030836.
- White, M. and Sayma, A.I. (2015). The impact of component performance on the overall cycle performance of small-scale low temperature organic Rankine cycles. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 90, pp. 12063–12063. doi:10.1088/1757-899x/90/1/012063.
- White, M. and Sayma, A.I. (2015). The one-dimensional meanline design of radial turbines for small scale low temperature organic rankine cycles. Proceedings of the ASME Turbo Expo, 2C. doi:10.1115/GT2015-42466.
- White, M. and Sayma, A.I. (2015). System and component modelling and optimisation for an efficient 10 kWe low-temperature organic Rankine cycle utilising a radial inflow expander. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part A: Journal of Power and Energy, 229(7), pp. 795–809. doi:10.1177/0957650915574211.
- White, M. Cycle and turbine optimisation for an ORC operating with two-phase expansion. Applied Thermal Engineering.
London EC1V 0HB
Dr Martin White obtained a MEng in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Southampton in 2011, and a PhD in Mechanical Engineering from City, University of London in October 2015. His PhD investigated the design and analysis of small-scale turbines for low-temperature organic Rankine cycles. After a year working as a Research Associate at Imperial College London within the Clean Energy Processes Laboratory, he returned to City in May 2017 to work on the EPSRC funded project NextORC, investigating fundamental aspects of expanders for organic Rankine cycles (Grant number: EP/P009131/1). In September 2019, he was awarded a five-year Royal Academy of Engineering Research Fellowship, investigating next generation waste-heat recovery systems, and subsequently was appointed a Lecturer in Thermal Power.
As a researcher his focus is on the development of small-scale energy systems suitable for the power generation from low- and medium-temperature heat sources, such as solar, biomass, geothermal and waste heat. This encompasses system design and optimisation, working-fluid selection and component design and simulation, with significant focus on turbomachinery components.
- PhD in Mechanical Engineering, City, University of London, UK, Apr 2012 – Oct 2015
- MEng in Mechanical Engineering, University of Southampton, UK, Oct 2007 – Jul 2011
- Lecturer in Thermal Power and RAEng Research Fellow, City, University of London, Sep 2019 – present
- Research Fellow, City, University of London, May 2018 – Aug 2019
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, City, University of London, May 2017 – Apr 2018
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Imperial College London, May 2016 – Apr 2017
Publications by category
- Alzaili, J., White, M. and Sayma, A. (2020). Developments in Solar Powered Micro Gas Turbines and Waste Heat Recovery Organic Rankine Cycles. Lecture Notes in Networks and Systems (pp. 439–452).
Conference papers and proceedings (13)
- Aqel, O., White, M. and Sayma, A. (2021). Binary interaction uncertainty in the optimisation of a transcritical cycle: Consequences on cycle and turbine design. The 4th European sCO2 Conference for Energy Systems 23-24 March, Online.
- White, M.T. (2021). Investigating the Validity of the Fundamental Derivative in the Equilibrium and Non-equilibrium Two-Phase Expansion of MM.
- White, M.T. and Sayma, A.I. (2020). Fluid selection for small-scale rankine cycle plants: Can you draw some lines in the sand?
- White, M., Read, M. and Sayma, A. (2019). A comparison between cascaded and single-stage ORC systems taken from the component perspective. 5th International Seminar on ORC Power Systems 9-11 September, Athens, Greece.
- White, M.T., Read, M.G. and Sayma, A.I. (2019). Comparison between single and cascaded organic Rankine cycle systems accounting for the effects of expansion volume ratio on expander performance.
- White, M., Read, M. and Sayma, A. (2018). Using a cubic equation of state to identify optimal working fluids for an ORC operating with two-phase expansion using a twin-screw expander. 17th International Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Conference 9-12 July, Purdue, USA.
- White, M. and Sayma, A. (2018). Design of a closed-loop optical-access supersonic test facility for organic vapours. ASME Turbo Expo 2018: Turbomachinery Technical Conference and Exposition 11-15 June, Oslo, Norway.
- White, M. and Sayma, A. (2018). A preliminary comparison of different turbine architectures for a 100 kW supercritical CO2 Rankine cycle turbine. The 6th International Supercritical CO2 Power Cycles Symposium 27-29 March, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- White, M.T., Read, M.G. and Sayma, A.I. (2018). Optimisation of cascaded organic Rankine cycle systems for high-temperature waste-heat recovery.
- White, M.T. and Sayma, A.I. (2018). Design of a closed-loop optical-access supersonic test facility for organic vapours.
- Oyewunmi, O.A., White, M.T., Chatzopoulou, M.A., Haslam, A.J. and Markides, C.N. (2017). Integrated computer-aided working-fluid design and power system optimisation: Beyond thermodynamic modelling.
- White, M. and Sayma, A.I. (2016). Investigating the effect of changing the working fluid on the three-dimensional flow within organic rankine cycle turbines.
- Arroyo, A., McLorn, M., Fabian, M., White, M. and Sayma, A.I. (2016). Rotor-dynamics of different shaft configurations for a 6 KW micro gas turbine for concentrated solar power.