- Bliss, M. and Aitken, L.M. (2018). Does simulation enhance nurses' ability to assess deteriorating patients? Nurse Education in Practice, 28, pp. 20–26. doi:10.1016/j.nepr.2017.09.009.
London EC1V 0HB
Maria is a lecturer in adult nursing, specialising in acute care.
Maria graduated as a registered nurse in 1983, and chose to specialise in critical care nursing. She worked as an ICU nurse at Leicester Royal Infirmary, then a sister's post at the Manor Hospital Walsall and the General Hospital Birmingham from 1985 to 1989, before completing her bachelor's degree and teaching qualifications, and making the move into lecturing in 1989. She worked as a clinical tutor at St Elizabeth’s Hospital Nursing School, Birmingham.
She joined Princess Alexandra School of Nursing in 1991 which became St Bartholomew School of Nursing and Midwifery and then City University. In addition to teaching critical care skills, Maria has also played an important role in developing educational learning technologies for students.
Visiting Lecturer in Critical Care Nursing - City, University of London
Lecturer, General Intensive Care - St Bartholomew & Princess Alexandra & Newham College of Nursing
Clinical Teacher ITU - Queen Elizabeth College of Nursing, Birmingham
Sister, G Grade, ITU - General Hospital, Birmingham
Sister, G Grade, ITU - Manor Hospital, Walsall, West Midlands
Staff Nurse, ITU - Leicester Royal Infirmary
Staff Nurse, ITU/CCU - Stafford General Hospital
MA Academic Practice, Post-Graduate Certificate in the Education of Adults, BSc (Hons) Nursing Studies, Diploma in Professional Studies in Nursing, Intensive Care Course (ENB100) and Registered Nurse.
- Associate Programme Director for the BSc (top up degree)
- Senior Personal Tutor
HS1021 Developing Relationship-Centred Practice (module leader).
HS1011 Foundations of Relationship Centred Practice,
HSM132 & HS2132Experiencing Acute Care;
HS2043 Long Term Conditions
HS1002 Simulated practice
HS2002 Simulated Practice
HS3002 Simulated practice Complex Care (module leader)
NM3224 Core Skills Acute and High Dependency;
NM3225 Acute and High Dependency Role Development
CH2083 APEL module (module leader)
Publications by category
Clinical activity (6)
- Intensive Care Unit, London Royal Hospital
- Intensive Care unit, Homerton University Hospital
- Accident and Emergency, Homerton University Hospital
- Intensive Care Unit, The London Independent Hospital
- Theatres, The London Independent Hospital
- Surgical Wards, The London Independent Hospital