- Mimler, M. (2021). Intellectual property - a friend or foe of digital trade? International Trade Law and Regulation, 27(2), pp. 121–141.
- Dimita, G., Festinger, J., Lee, Y.H., MacDonald, M. and Mimler, M. (2020). Video games: flagships of digital colonialism or solitary beacons of creative freedom and diversity? Interactive Entertainment Law Review, 3(2), pp. 75–76. doi:10.4337/ielr.2020.02.00.
- Dimita, G., Festinger, J. and Mimler, M. (2020). Playing the pandemic. Interactive Entertainment Law Review, 3(1), pp. 1–2. doi:10.4337/ielr.2020.01.00.
- Minssen, T., Mimler, M. and Mak, V. (2020). When Does Stand-Alone Software Qualify as a Medical Device in the European Union?—The Cjeu’s Decision in Snitem and What it Implies for the Next Generation of Medical Devices. Medical Law Review, 28(3), pp. 615–624. doi:10.1093/medlaw/fwaa012.
- Suthersanen, U. and Mimler, M.D. (2020). An Autonomous EU Functionality Doctrine for Shape Exclusions. GRUR International, 69(6), pp. 567–577. doi:10.1093/grurint/ikaa072.
- Mimler, M. (2020). The final nail in the coffin for the patent with unitary effect or just another bump in the road? The German Constitutional Court declares void the German Act of Approval on a Unified Patent Court (2 BvR 739/17). Intellectual Property Forum pp. 89–91.
- Mimler, M. (2020). The European Patent Office (“EPO”) rejects patent applications which name an artificially intelligent inventor. Intellectual Property Forum pp. 76–77.
- Mimler, M.D. (2019). Book review: James Griffin, The State of Creativity: The Future of 3D Printing, 4D Printing and Augmented Reality (Edward Elgar, Cheltenham 2019) 304 pp. Queen Mary Journal of Intellectual Property, 9(4), pp. 503–505. doi:10.4337/qmjip.2019.04.09.
- Mimler, M. (2019). The Court of Justice of the European Union provides further guidance on the interplay between copyright and design law in works of applied art – Judgment of the Court (Third Chamber) of 12 September 2019 Cofemel – Sociedade de Vestuário SA v G-Star Raw CV Request for a preliminary ruling from the Supremo Tribunal de Justiça Case C-683/17. Intellectual Property Forum pp. 75–78.
- Mimler, M. (2019). “Prove it or lose it” – two recent decisions on EU trade marks showcase the quality of evidence trade mark users need to provide to prove genuine use and acquired distinctiveness of their trade marks - Supermac’s (Holdings) Ltd v McDonald’s International Property Company, Ltd. EUIPO Cancellation Division Cancellation No. 14 788 and Adidas AG v European Union Intellectual Property Office (T-307/17). Intellectual Property Forum pp. 92–97.
- Mimler, M. (2019). Current Developments -EU: Decision T 1063/18. Intellectual Property Forum pp. 80–82.
- Mimler, M. (2019). The Court of Justice of the European Union finds that copyright does not subsist in the taste of cheese spread (Levola Hengelo BV v Smilde Foods BV (Case C-310/17)). Intellectual Property Forum pp. 96–98.
- Mimler, M. and Bonadio, E. (2019). “Brexit Implications for Geographical Indications for Food and Beverages”. .
- Mimler, M. (2018). Book review: Noam Shemtov, Beyond the Code – Protection of Non-Textual Features of Software (Oxford University Press, 2017) 288 pp. Interactive Entertainment Law Review, 1(2), pp. 123–124. doi:10.4337/ielr.2018.02.06.
- Mimler, M.D. (2017). ‘Metall auf Metall’ – the German Federal Constitutional Court discusses the permissibility of sampling music tracks. Queen Mary Journal of Intellectual Property, 7(1), pp. 119–127. doi:10.4337/qmjip.2017.01.06.
- Mimler, M. and Ringelhann, A.P. (2017). Digital exploitation of out-of-print books and copyright law: French licensing mechanism for out-of-print books under CJEU scrutiny. European Intellectual Property Review, 39(3), pp. 190–193.
- Mimler, M. (2016). First things first: German Federal High Court provides guidance on ISP liability in online copyright infringement cases. Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice, 11(7), pp. 485–489. doi:10.1093/jiplp/jpw057.
- Mimler, M.D. (2013). The aspects of unfair competition within the Apple v Samsung litigation in Germany. Queen Mary Journal of Intellectual Property, 3(2), pp. 176–184. doi:10.4337/qmjip.2013.02.06.
- Mimler, M. (2013). "3D Printing, the Internet and Patent Law – A History repeating?” Rivista di Diritto Industriale, 62(6).
London EC1V 0HB
Dr Marc Mimler is a Senior Lecturer and joined City Law School in 2021. He is a fully qualified German lawyer after obtaining his undergraduate degree in law from the Ludwig-Maximilians-University Munich and completion of his bar school (Referendariat) at the Higher District Court of Munich. He then obtained a Master’s degree in intellectual property law and a PhD in patent law from Queen Mary’s Intellectual Property Research Institute (QMIPRI) in London. He has been teaching on all fields of intellectual property at various higher education institutions (e.g. Queen Mary, King's College London, UCL, LSE, Warwick and CEIPI). He also used to be founding General Editor of the Queen Mary Journal of Intellectual Property (QMJIP) and currently acts as one of the General Editors of the Interactive Entertainment Law Review (IELR) published by Edward Elgar. In 2021, he took on the position of Editorial Advisor for the bi-monthly Japanese IP journal Patents &Licensing.
Marc’s research interests cover intellectual property law in general with its interfaces with human rights and international trade law, information technology law and competition law. Marc has a particular interest in exceptions to intellectual property rights from a doctrinal and practical perspective and is currently developing a monograph on this issue with Edward Elgar.
- Senior Fellowship, Higher Eduaction Academy, Aug 2020
- Fellowship, Higher Education Fellowship, Jun 2018 – Aug 2020
- PhD, Queen Mary University of London, United Kingdom
- LLM in Intellectual Property, Queen Mary University of London, United Kingdom
- Second State Examination in Law, Federal State of Bavaria, Germany
- First State examination in Law, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Germany
- Senior Lecturer in Law, City, University London, Jun 2021 – present
- Senior Lecturer in Law, Bournemouth University, Jan 2018 – May 2021
- Lecturer in Law, Bournemouth University, Jan 2016 – Jan 2018
- Teaching Fellow, University College London, Jan 2015 – Jan 2016
- Teaching and Research Fellow, Queen Mary University of London, Jan 2015 – Jan 2016
- Teaching Fellow, University of Warwick, Jan 2014 – Jan 2015
- Intern, Trowers & Hamlins LLP, 2006
- Judicial Law Clerk, German Patent and Trade Mark Office (Germany), 2006
- Associate Lawyer, Mattil & Kollegen, 2005 – 2007
- Intern, Wienberg Abogados, 2001
- Intern, European Patent Organisation, 2001
French (can read, speak and understand spoken), German (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review), Japanese and Spanish; Castilian (can read, write, speak and understand spoken).
- Americas - North
Publications by category
- Mimler, M. and Suthersanen, U. (2020). Trade Marks. In Dutfield, G. and Suthersanen, U. (Eds.), Dutfield and Suthersanen on Global Intellectual Property Law (pp. 197–229). Edward Elgar.
- Mimler, M. (2019). Street Art, Graffiti and Copyright: A German Perspective. In Bonadio, E. (Ed.), The Cambridge Handbook of Copyright in Street Art and Graffiti (pp. 188–206). Cambridge University Press.
- Mimler, M. (2019). Inventor. In Bartolini, A., Colcelli, V. and Cippitani, R. (Eds.), Dictionary of
European Statuses (pp. 331–337). Springer.
- Mimler, M. (2018). On how to deal with Pandora’s Box – Copyright in works of Nazi leaders. In Bonadio, E. and Lucchi, N. (Eds.), Non-Conventional Copyright (pp. 432–453). Edward Elgar.
- Mimler, M. (2018). The Effect of Brexit on Trademarks, Designs and Other "Europeanized" Areas of Intellectual Property Law in the United Kingdom. In Fitzgerald, O. and Lein, E. (Eds.), Complexity's embrace: The International Law implications of Brexit (pp. 191–205). CIGI Press.
- Mimler, M. and Minssen, T. (2017). Patenting Bioprinting-Technologies in the US and Europe: The Fifth Element in the Third
Dimension. In Ballardini, R.M., Norrgård, M. and Partanen, J. (Eds.), 3D printing, Intellectual Property and Innovation – Insights from Law and
Technology (pp. 117–148). Kluwer Law International.
- Mimler, M. and McDonagh, L. (2017). Intellectual Property Law and BREXIT: A Retreat or a Reaffirmation of Jurisdiction? In Dougan, M. (Ed.), The UK after Brexit: Legal and Policy Challenges (pp. 159–179). Intersentia.
- Mimler, M. (2016). Chapter 4: United Kingdom. In Chrocziel, P., Lorenz, M. and Prinz zu Waldeck und Pyrmont, W. (Eds.), Intellectual Property and Competition Law (pp. 125–144). Wolters Kluwer.
- Mimler, M. 3D Printing and patent law - The UK perspective. In Mendis, D., Lemley, M. and Rimmer, M. (Eds.), 3D Printing and Beyond: The Intellectual Property and Legal and Implications Surrounding
3D Printing and Emerging Technologies (pp. 115–136). Edward Elgar.
Internet publications (2)
Journal articles (19)
Editorial activity (3)
- Patents & Licensing, Editorial Advisor, Jun 2021 – present.
- Interactive Entertainment Law Review (IELR), Editor in Chief, 2018 – present.
- Queen Mary Journal of Intellectual Property (QMJIP), General Editor, 2011 – 2014.
- (Seminar) Meiji University, Tokyo, Japan (via Skype) (2020). Invited speaker.
Paper: ““Relationship is everything” - A systems theoretical approach to Intellectual Property Law queries in 2 acts (Scope of protection and Exceptions/Limitations)”,
- British Literary and Artistic Copyright Association (BLACA) Seminar. (Seminar) London, UK (2020). Invited speaker.
Paper: “Cofemel: Why the CJEU may be right”
Co-authors: Suthersanen, U.
- Northern IP Research Symposium. (Workshop) University of Sheffield, UK (2019). Invited speaker.
Paper: “Exceptions as collision norms: a systems theoretical analysis of limitations to IP rights”
- XXth EIPIN Congress. (Conference) London,United Kingdom (2019). Invited speaker.
Paper: Perspectives on the Public Domain in European Patent Law
- OIPRC Invited Speaker Series. University of Oxford, Oxford, UK (2019). Invited speaker.
Paper: “The Doctrine of Equivalents in UK Patent Law”
Co-authors: McDonagh, L.
- Can Copyright be applied to Street Art and Graffiti? (Conference) (2019). Invited speaker.
Paper: “The right of integrity in street art and graffiti: Challenges and solutions under German Law"
- Limitations on Trademark Rights from Comparative and Interdisciplinary Perspectives. (Conference) University of Hong Kong. Hong Kong, China (2019). Invited speaker.
Paper: “Limitations as Collision Norms – A Systems Theoretical Analysis of Limitations to Trade Mark Rights”
- European Photonics Roadshow Series. (Public lecture) Marseille, France (2018). Invited speaker.
Paper: “The European and International IP landscape for MedTech“
- "The public interest and the construction of exceptions to patent rights". (Workshop) University College London, UK (2017). Invited speaker.
- International Workshop on Intellectual Property Law in Perspective of Economic Growth and Wealth Creation. (Workshop) Izmir, Turkey (2017). Invited speaker.
Paper: “Human Rights Considerations and Their Impact on Exceptions to IP Rights”
- Intellectual Property for Social Enterprising - Solving Social Problems through University Innovation. (Conference) Instituto de Investigaciones Juridicas, UNAM, Mexico City, Mexico (2017). Invited speaker.
Paper: “The chilling effects of IP: Transparency rules and practice by public authorities and universities
- ISHTIP 2017 workshop. (Conference) University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada (2017). Invited speaker.
Paper: “Rules of Improvement for derivative works - Transplanting patent doctrine into copyright law”
- IP and/in practice Workshop. (Workshop) University of Exeter, Exeter, UK (2017). Invited speaker.
Paper: “The public interest and the construction of exceptions to patent rights”
- European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO) Webinar. (Public lecture) Alicante, Spain (2017). Invited speaker.
Paper: “3D printing and its implications for design law”
- Inter-Agency Legal Network Meeting, European Food Safety Agency (EFSA). Parma, Italy (2017). Invited speaker.
Paper: “Access to information and IP rights – Regulation (EC) No 1049/2001 in the context of IP Rights protection and overriding public interests”
- IP4Growth Regional Conference. (Conference) Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire (2016). Invited speaker.
Paper: “Alternative protection schemes - “The new Swissness Legislation”
- (Seminar) University of Milan, Milan, Italy (2015). Invited speaker.
Paper: “3D Printing and Patent Law – Is the private and non-commercial use exception obsolete?”
- Roundtable discussion at the Centre for Commercial Law Studies. (Public lecture) Queen Mary University of London, London, UK (2015). Panel Member. Invited speaker.
Paper: "Ban the Product, Not the Trade Mark"
- Queen Mary School of Law PhD Workshop. (Workshop) Queen MAry University of London, London, UK (2009). Invited speaker.
Paper: “After Microsoft – Recalibrating the Interface between IP and Competition Law”
- 11th WIPO Advanced Intellectual Property Research Seminar, World Intellecual Property Organisation (WIPO). (Seminar) Geneva, Switzerland Invited speaker.
Paper: "Bioprinting stem cells - opportunities and obstacles for patenting"
Co-authors: Prifti, V.
- EIPIN Doctoral Meeting. University of Maastricht, Maastricht, Netherlands Invited speaker.
Paper: “Exceptions to patentee’s rights and legislative freedom”
- External Examiner, Kent Law School, University of Kent (2020 – present).
- External Examiner, Coventry Law School, Coventry University (2019 – present).