- Thurtle, V. and MacKenzie, K. (2015). School nursing and local authority commissioning. British Journal of School Nursing, 10(10), pp. 514–515. doi:10.12968/bjsn.2015.10.10.514.
- MacKenzie, K.A., Abbott, S., Thomas, N., Apau, D., Benato, R. and Hicks, S. (2011). An educational partnership in health promotion for pre-registration nurses and further education college students. Primary Health Care Research and Development, Published online November 2011. doi:10.1017/S1463423611000569.
London EC1V 0HB
Karin joined the School of Health Sciences as a lecturer/practitioner in school nursing in April 2010. She has been working fulltime as a lecturer in public health nursing since August 2012.
Karin initially trained as an adult nurse at University College Hospital London, and then specialised in women's health at Elizabeth Garrett Anderson Hospital. Following a career break, Karin returned to nursing in 2001. She has since worked as a school nurse in a number of London boroughs. Karin undertook a 2 year secondment as a health adviser with the Healthy Schools team in Islington and has also worked for a multi-agency parenting service in Hackney. Her particular interests are school nursing, parenting, and action learning facilitation.
Karin is currently a visiting lecturer in school nursing.
- MA Psychology of Religion, Heythrop College, University of London, London, Jan 2013
- Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice, City, University of London, United Kingdom, Jan 2010 – Jan 2011
- BSc Hons Specialist Community Public Health Nursing - School Nursing, London Metropolitan University, United Kingdom, Jan 2003 – Jan 2004
- BA Hons History of Art, University of Sussex, United Kingdom, Jan 1975 – Jan 1979
- Visiting lecturer in school nrsing, City University, London, Oct 2017 – present
- Visiting lecturer in school nursing, City University, London, Oct 2017 – present
- NMC Visitor, Nursng and Midwifery Council, Sep 2017 – present
- External examiner School Nursing Programme, Swansea University, Oct 2013 – Oct 2018
- Lecturer in school nursing, City, University of London, Apr 2010 – Sep 2017
Memberships of professional organisations
- NMC - Nursing & Midwifery Council; CPHVA - Community Practitioner and Health Visitor Association ; Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- City University London Teaching Recognition Award 2010-2011
Joint winner - Teaching Recognition Award 2010-2011 for NM1729 Simulated practice: public health
French (can understand spoken) and German (can read, write, speak and understand spoken).
Modules taught on:
- NM3909/NMM123 Public Health & Society
- NM3212/NMM083 Practice based module
- NM3908/NMM086 Evidence for practice
- NMM080 Specialist practice teacher development programme
- NM1729 Simulated practice: public health Care Closer to Home - pre-registration community placement
Publications by category
Journal articles (2)
- Honorary contract working 2 days a month with the school nursing team in Tower Hamlets, providing clinical supervision, action learning and training, Barts Health
- 19th Biennial School Nursing International Conference. (Workshop) San Francisco State University (2017).
Paper: Oral presentation: The Challenges of Educating School Nurses in the UK
Author: MacKenzie, K
Co-authors: Jameson, M
- Focussing on health - streamlining the school nurses' contribution to safeguarding practice in Tower Hamlets. Brighton (2012).
Description: Williams, R and Mackenzie, K (2012) CPHVA Conference The future of public health nursing 7- 8/11/12