- Zrilic, J. (2022). Armed Conflicts and the Law of Treaties: Recent Developments and Reappraisal of the Doctrine in Light of the Wars in Syria and Ukraine. Japanese Yearbook of International Law, 65, pp. 107–137.
- Garde, A. and Zrilič, J. (2020). International Investment Law and Non-Communicable Diseases Prevention. The Journal of World Investment & Trade, 21(5), pp. 649–673. doi:10.1163/22119000-12340190.
- Zrilic, J. (2019). Armed Conflict as Force Majeure in International Investment Law. Manchester Journal of International Economic Law, 16(1), pp. 28–56.
- Zrilič, J. (2015). International Investment Law in the Context of Jus Post Bellum: Are Investment Treaties Likely to Facilitate or Hinder the Transition to Peace? The Journal of World Investment & Trade, 16(4), pp. 604–632. doi:10.1163/22119000-01604003.
- Zrilic, J. (2015). Jurisprudential Interaction between ICSID Tribunals and the International Court of Justice. Yearbook on International Investment Law & Policy, 2013–2014, pp. 305–335.
- Zrilic, J. (2013). Overview of UK Supreme Court Cases: Civil Procedure. Cambridge Journal of International and Comparative Law, 2(1), pp. 121–124.
- Zrilic, J. (2012). Sustainable Companies Conference Report – Identifying New Avenues. European Company Law, 9(2), pp. 151–157.
- Zrilic, J. (2012). Self-Evaluating Companies’ Contribution to the Rule of Law. European Company Law, 9(2), pp. 118–124.
- Zrilic, J. (2011). CSR in Slovenia. European Company Law, 8(2), pp. 119–122.
London EC1V 0HB
Jure joined the City Law School as Senior Lecturer in August 2022. He was previously Lecturer and Senior Lecturer at the University of Liverpool, and prior to that, Research Fellow in International Arbitration at Queen Mary University of London. He has taught international investment law, international arbitration, public international law, and international dispute settlement. Before entering academia, Jure worked at a The Hague-based NGO in a justice sector and at the Court of Appeal of Slovenia.
Jure’s research interests lie in public international law, international investment law and international arbitration. More specifically, his recent work examines the interplay between international investment law and other bodies of law, such as the law of armed conflict and global health.
Jure received PhD from the University of Cambridge as a recipient of AHRC Doctoral Award. His PhD thesis was the basis for a monograph 'The Protection of Foreign Investment in Times of Armed Conflict' (OUP 2019). His scholarship has been commended as ‘perfectly timed and making important contribution to this area’ (Dr Lawrence Hill-Cawthorne in Journal of World Investment & Trade), and as providing 'a holistic analysis of the wider ramifications of investment treaty disputes in times of armed conflict and during the process of peace building' (Dr Ana Maria Daza-Clark in ICSID Review – Foreign Investment Law Journal). Jure regularly receives invitations to speak, write or give advice on this subject.
Currently, his research focuses on political economy of foreign investment policy making, as well as on the interplay of the law of treaties and armed conflict.
Jure would be happy to supervise PhD students in his areas of expertise.
Publications by category
- Zrilic, J. (2019). The Protection of Foreign Investment in Times of Armed Conflict. Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-256605-8.
- Zrilic, J. (2022). Untangling the Relationship Between Attribution and Due Diligence in International Investment Law and Beyond. In Kajtar, G., Cali, B. and Milanovic, M. (Eds.), Secondary Rules of Primary Importance in International Law:
Attribution, Causality, Evidence, and Standards of Review in the Practice of International Courts and Tribunals OUP.
- Zrilic, J. (2021). Investor Obligations Amid Armed Conflict. In Ho, J. and Sattorova, M. (Eds.), Investors’ International Law (pp. 235–261). Hart Publishing.
- Zrilic, J. (2022). Are We in for a New Wave of Investment Arbitrations? Russia’s Measures against Foreign Investors and Investment Treaty Implications. Verfassungsblog.
Journal articles (9)
- Brekoulakis, S. and Zrilic, J. (2012). 2012 International Arbitration Survey: Current and Preferred Practices in the Arbitral Process..