- Hewett, J. (2016). Learning to teach data journalism: Innovation, influence and constraints. Journalism, 17(1), pp. 119–137. doi:10.1177/1464884915612681.
- Hewett, J. (2013). Using Twitter to integrate practice and learning in journalism education: could social media help to meet the twin challenge of both dimensions? Journal of Applied Journalism & Media Studies, 2(2), pp. 333–346.
London EC1V 0HB
Jonathan Hewett is Director of the MA Newspaper Journalism and MA Interactive Journalism and has extensive experience both as a journalist and as a journalism educator, having led and taught on courses since 1997.
He set up and ran two news services, edited The Week in Europe, worked as a subeditor on Nature, was consulting editor at EU Business and editor of London Cyclist.
He has freelanced as a writer and editor for many other publications. Jonathan joined City in 2002, teaching on the MA International Journalism before moving to lead the MA Newspaper Journalism in 2005.
He has particular interests in online journalism, social media and data journalism, as well as journalism education.
Publications by category
- Hewett, J. (2017). Collaborative learning: from CAR to data journalism and Hacks/Hackers. In Mair, J., Keeble, R.L., Lucero, M. and Moore, M. (Eds.), Data Journalism: past, present and future (pp. 5–22). Bury St Edmunds: Abramis.
- Hewett, J. (2015). Data Journalism Grows Up. In Felle, T., Mair, J. and Radcliffe, D. (Eds.), Data Journalism: Inside the Global Future (pp. 27–38). Bury St Edmunds: Abramis. ISBN 978-1-84549-663-0.
- Hewett, J. (2014). Live-tweeting: the rise of real-time reporting. In Zion, L. and Craig, D. (Eds.), Ethics for Digital Journalists: Emerging Best Practices (pp. 115–129). Routledge. ISBN 978-0-415-85884-7.