- Corsi, J.L. (2021). Legal justifications for gender parity on the bench of the International Court of Justice: An argument for evolutive interpretation of Article 9 of the ICJ Statute. Leiden Journal of International Law, 34(4), pp. 977–1000. doi:10.1017/s0922156521000443.
- Corsi, J. (2018). An Argument for Strict Legality in International Criminal Law. Georgetown Journal of International Law, 49(4), pp. 1321–1381.
- Corsi, J.L. (2017). Drone Deaths Violate Human Rights: The Applicability of the iccpr to Civilian Deaths Caused by Drones. International Human Rights Law Review, 6(2), pp. 205–241. doi:10.1163/22131035-00602005.
- Corsi, J. and Birchfield, L. (2010). The Right to Food in India. Human Rights Brief, 17(Spring 2010), pp. 15–18.
- Corsi, J. and Birchfield, L. (2010). Between Starvation and Globalization: The Right to Food in India. Michigan Journal of International Law, 31(4).
- Corsi, J. (2009). Towards Peace Through Legal Innovation: The Process and the Promise of the 2008 Cluster Munitions Treaty’, Harvard Human Rights Journal, Winter 2009, Vol 22, 301-313. .
London EC1V 0HB
Dr. Jessica Lynn Corsi joined City University in July 2020 as a Lecturer in Law and faculty member at City's Violence and Society Centre.
Jessica's work focuses on how the law can prevent and alleviate violence and foster substantive and transformative equality. Her approach spans public international, regional, and domestic law, and combines theory, data, traditional legal research methods, and social science research methods.
Jessica holds a PhD in Law from Cambridge University, a Juris Doctorate from Harvard Law School, an LL.M. from Cambridge University, and a B.S.F.S. from Georgetown University’s School of Foreign Service. Her doctoral thesis was entitled Creating the Crimes of Rape and Sexual Violence Under International Criminal Law: Lessons in Legality.
Jessica has previously taught law and related topics for Brunel University London, NYU Law Paris, St. George’s, University of London, and more.
In 2018, she was awarded two small grants on violence from the British Academy addressing hate crimes against migrants and violence against children, and a Brunel Research Initiative Enterprise Fund for her work on sexual harassment as violence.
Jessica has worked for the United Nations, Human Rights Watch, the Harvard Kennedy School of Government and other organisations on topics such as indicators of safety and violence; the rule of law; governance; legal empowerment of the poor; and human rights broadly speaking. Jessica’s work has included contributing to the drafting and implementation of several international treaties and bilateral agreements; fact finding missions and the drafting of public reports; and advising governments and organisations on a range of legal and related issues.
Jessica's research interests include public international law, human rights law, international criminal law, jurisprudence, gender, criminal law, and violence in many forms, including hate crimes, conflict, terrorism, violence against children, gender-based violence, violence against animals, and more.
Publications by category
- Corsi, J.L. (2021). Gender, Business and Human Rights. The Cambridge Companion to Business and Human Rights Law (pp. 308–329). Cambridge University Press.
- Corsi, J. Structural Violence as a Driver of Interpersonal Violence Against Children: England & Wales and the Convention on the Rights of the Child. In Breger, M. (Ed.), Comparative Family Law Research Handbook Lexington.
- Corsi, J. ‘Article 5, Equality and Non-Discrimination’, in Commentary on the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, eds. Bantekas and Stein, Oxford University Press, November 2018.
- Corsi, J. ‘“Managing Violence”: Can the International Criminal Court prevent sexual violence in conflict?’ in The First Global Prosecutor, eds. Minow et al, Michigan University Press, April 2015.
Journal articles (6)
- Shively, M., McLaughlin, K., Durchslag, R., McDonough, H., Hunt, D., Kliorys, K. … Mauch, D. (2010). Developing a National Plan for Eliminating Sex Trafficking: Final Report..
- Corsi, J., Broad, E. and Kamhi, A. (2008). Cluster Munitions and the Proportionality Test, Memorandum to Delegates of the Convention on Conventional Weapons, Human Rights Watch, April 2008. New York, USA: Human Rights Watch.
- Corsi, J. and Rogers, C. Interoperability and the Prohibition on Assistance, Memorandum to Delegates of the Dublin Diplomatic Conference on Cluster Munitions, Human Rights Watch, May 2008..
- Corsi, J., Broad, E. and Kamhi, A. User State Responsibility for Cluster Munition Clearance, Memorandum to Delegates of the Wellington Conference on Cluster Munitions,Human Rights Watch, February 19, 2008..
- Corsi, J., Cook, E., McManus, S., Innes, A., Capelas Barbosa, E. and Walby, S. (2021). The gendered dimensions of defences to homicide: a systematic review protocol.
- Kotanen, R., McManus, S., Cook, E., Innes, A., Corsi, J., Capelas Barbosa, E. … Walby, S. (2021). Changes in statutory child protection service interventions in response to parental physical violence against children, 1990 to 2021: a systematic review (protocol).
- Walby, S., Stöckl, H., Cook, E., Innes, A., McManus, S., Corsi, J. … Capelas Barbosa, E. (2021). Sex/gender-disaggregated fatal violence: a systematic review (protocol).
- Innes, A., Capelas Barbosa, E., Cook, E., Corsi, J., Kotanen, R., McManus, S. … Walby, S. (2021). Prevalence of violence experienced by people with insecure immigration status, and perceptions of association with immigration control (protocol).
- Corsi, J. and Birchfield-Kennedy, L. It’s not McCarthyism to Demand Harvard Law Sever Ties with Brett Kavanaugh, Boston Globe, Op-ed, 11 November 2018.