London EC1V 0HB
Freda is a midwifery lecturer who joined City, University of London in 2015. She previously worked as lecturer practitioner at Middlesex University, London. That is after she worked as a practising midwife at EGA Wing, University College London Hospitals for 9 years.
Freda began her career as adult nurse. She then undertook an MA in Education and International Development: Health Promotion at IOE, University College London. She studied factors affecting breastfeeding initiation and duration in North China in her master's dissertation. The field study of the research project was partially sponsored by student award and scholarship of London Clothworker’s company & City University of London in 2005. After completing her masters, she won Midwifery Prize of the Year by Royal London Special Trustees & City University of London. She proposed a research on " East meets West: Exploring infant feeding decision marking amongst Chinese women in inner London". The research proposal won the essay competition at Women's Health Institute at University College London (UCL) in 2006.
Freda conducted student focused researches after she ascertained higher education grants in 2015 and 2018. She produced poster presentation on "How to support student midwives’ experiential learning in placement through formative and summative assessment and feedback practice in London, United Kingdom" and "How to prepare final year students’ transition to midwifery employment in London, United Kingdom". Both abstracts are accepted and presented at the conferences of International Confederation Midwifery (ICM) in 2016 and 2020.
Freda has got teaching experience in higher education in China. She contributed to the editing and translation of client facing literature when she worked as a language advisor for National Screening Committee (NSC) in the United Kingdom.
- Fellow, Higher Education Academy, UK, Sep 2015
- Registered Teacher, Nursing & Midwifery Council, UK, Sep 2015
- Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education (PGHE), Middlesex University, United Kingdom, Sep 2014 – Sep 2015
- Postgraduate Certificate in Counselling Psychology, City, University London, United Kingdom, Sep 2013 – Sep 2014
- MA in Education and International Development: Health Promotion, Institute of Education, University of London, United Kingdom, Sep 2006 – Sep 2003
- Register Midwife, Nursing & Midwifery Council, UK, Oct 2005
- Bsc. in Midwifery, City, University London, United Kingdom, Mar 2004 – Sep 2005
- Registered Adult Nurse, Nursing & Midwifery Council, UK, Mar 2003
- Diploma in Adult Nursing, Middlesex University, United Kingdom, Mar 2000 – Mar 2003
- BA in English Language and Literature, Liaoning University, China, Sep 1995 – Sep 1999
- Manual Handling Train the Trainer Course, The Health and Safety Group, United Kingdom, Aug 2023
- How to teach genomics: a workshop for nursing and midwifery educator, Wellcome Connecting Sciences, United Kingdom, Jul 2022
- Advanced Physical Examination of Newborn, City, University London, London, United Kingdom, Oct 2017 – Mar 2018
- Systematic Examination of Newborn Lead, City, University of London, Jan 2022 – present
- UNICEF Baby Friendly Initiative (BFI) Lead, City, University London, Jan 2016 – Dec 2021
- Practice Lead, City, University London, Jan 2016 – Dec 2021
- Lecturer in Midwifery, City, University London, Sep 2015 – present
- Lecturer Practitioner, Middlesex University, Mar 2014 – Sep 2015
- Midwife, University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Sep 2005 – Mar 2014
- Lecturer in English Language, Liaoning University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Mar 1999 – Mar 2000
Chinese (Mandarin) (can peer review) and English (can peer review).