- Emsley, E., Szilassy, E., Dowrick, A., Dixon, S., De Simoni, A., Downes, L. … Wileman, V. (2023). Adapting domestic abuse training to remote delivery during the COVID-19 pandemic: a qualitative study of views from general practice and support services. British Journal of General Practice. doi:10.3399/bjgp.2022.0570.
- Blom, N., Fadeeva, A. and Barbosa, E.C. (2023). The Concept and Measurement of Violence and Abuse in Health and Justice Fields: Toward a Framework Aligned with the UN Sustainable Development Goals. Social Sciences, 12(6), pp. 316–316. doi:10.3390/socsci12060316.
- Dixon, S., De Simoni, A., Szilassy, E., Emsley, E., Wileman, V., Feder, G. … Dowrick, A. (2023). General practice wide adaptations to support patients affected by DVA during the COVID-19 pandemic: a rapid qualitative study. BMC Primary Care, 24(1). doi:10.1186/s12875-023-02008-6.
- Coulthard, P., Feder, G., Evans, M.A., Johnson, M., Walsh, T., Robinson, P.G. … Femi-Ajao, O. (2022). Dentistry responding to domestic violence and abuse: a dental, practice-based intervention and a feasibility study for a cluster randomised trial. British Dental Journal, 233(11), pp. 949–955. doi:10.1038/s41415-022-5271-x.
- Barbosa, E.C., Wylde, V., Thorn, J., Sanderson, E., Lenguerrand, E., Artz, N. … Marques, E.M.R. (2022). Cost‐Effectiveness of Group‐Based Outpatient Physical Therapy After Total Knee Replacement: Results From the Economic Evaluation Alongside the ARENA Multicenter Randomized Controlled Trial. Arthritis Care & Research. doi:10.1002/acr.24903.
- Walby, S., Capelas Barbosa, E. and McManus, S. (2022). Costing the long-term health harms of trafficking: Why a gender-neutral approach discounts the future of women. Frontiers in Sociology, 7. doi:10.3389/fsoc.2022.858337.
- McManus, S., Walby, S., Barbosa, E.C., Appleby, L., Brugha, T., Bebbington, P.E. … Knipe, D. (2022). Intimate partner violence, suicidality, and self-harm: a probability sample survey of the general population in England. The Lancet Psychiatry, 9(7), pp. 574–583. doi:10.1016/s2215-0366(22)00151-1.
- Panovska-Griffiths, J., Szilassy, E., Johnson, M., Dixon, S., De Simoni, A., Wileman, V. … Feder, G. (2022). Impact of the first national COVID-19 lockdown on referral of women experiencing domestic violence and abuse in England and Wales. BMC Public Health, 22. doi:10.1186/s12889-022-12825-6.
- Szilassy, E., Barbosa, E.C., Dixon, S., Feder, G., Griffiths, C., Johnson, M. … Dowrick, A. (2021). PRimary care rEsponse to domestic violence and abuse in the COvid-19 panDEmic (PRECODE): protocol of a rapid mixed-methods study in the UK. BMC Family Practice, 22(1). doi:10.1186/s12875-021-01447-3.
- Patel, R., Drew, S., Johansen, A., Chesser, T., Javaid, M.K., Griffin, X.L. … Gregson, C.L. (2021). REducing unwarranted variation in the Delivery of high qUality hip fraCture services in England and Wales (REDUCE): protocol for a mixed-methods study. BMJ Open, 11(5). doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2021-049763.
- Panovska-Griffiths, J., Sohal, A.H., Martin, P., Capelas, E.B., Johnson, M., Howell, A. … Eldridge, S. (2020). Disruption of a primary health care domestic violence and abuse service in two London boroughs: interrupted time series evaluation. BMC Health Services Research, 20(1). doi:10.1186/s12913-020-05397-x.
- Vindrola-Padros, C., Ledger, J., Barbosa, E.C. and Fulop, N.J. (2020). The Implementation of Improvement Interventions for "Low Performing" and "High Performing" Organisations in Health, Education and Local Government: A Phased Literature Review. International Journal of Health Policy and Management. doi:10.34172/ijhpm.2020.197.
- Barbosa, E.C., Jones, L., Pomeroy, L., Robert, G., Burnett, S., Anderson, J.E. … Naomi, F. (2020). A Board Level Intervention to Develop OrganisationWide Quality Improvement Strategies: Cost-Consequences Analysis in 15 Healthcare Organisations. International Journal of Health Policy and Management. doi:10.34172/ijhpm.2020.91.
- Leber, W., Panovska-Griffiths, J., Martin, P., Morris, S., Capelas Barbosa, E., Estcourt, C. … Griffiths, C. (2020). Evaluating the impact of post-trial implementation of RHIVA nurse-led HIV screening on HIV testing, diagnosis and earlier diagnosis in general practice in London, UK. EClinicalMedicine, 19, pp. 100229–100229. doi:10.1016/j.eclinm.2019.11.022.
- Fulop, N., Barbosa, E.C., Hill, M., Ledger, J., Sherlaw-Johnson, C., Spencer, J. … Morris, S. (2019). Special Measures for Quality and Challenged Providers: Study Protocol for Evaluating the Impact of Improvement Interventions in NHS Trusts. International Journal of Health Policy and Management. doi:10.15171/ijhpm.2019.100.
- Connell, A., Raine, R., Martin, P., Barbosa, E.C., Morris, S., Nightingale, C. … Laing, C. (2019). Implementation of a Digitally Enabled Care Pathway (Part 1): Impact on Clinical Outcomes and Associated Health Care Costs. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 21(7). doi:10.2196/13147.
- Vindrola-Padros, C., Capelas Barbosa, E., Ramsay, A.I.G., Turner, S., Morris, S., Agble, R. … Fulop, N.J. (2019). Mixed methods evaluation of a hospital group model using an embedded research approach: study protocol. BMJ Open, 9(6). doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2018-027086.
- Barbosa, E.C. and Cookson, R. (2019). Multiple inequity in health care: An example from Brazil. Social Science & Medicine, 228, pp. 1–8. doi:10.1016/j.socscimed.2019.02.034.
- Jones, L., Pomeroy, L., Robert, G., Burnett, S., Anderson, J.E., Morris, S. … Fulop, N.J. (2019). Explaining organisational responses to a board-level quality improvement intervention: findings from an evaluation in six providers in the English National Health Service. BMJ Quality & Safety, 28(3), pp. 198–204. doi:10.1136/bmjqs-2018-008291.
- Barbosa, E.C., Verhoef, T.I., Morris, S., Solmi, F., Johnson, M., Sohal, A. … Feder, G. (2018). Cost-effectiveness of a domestic violence and abuse training and support programme in primary care in the real world: updated modelling based on an MRC phase IV observational pragmatic implementation study. BMJ Open, 8(8). doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2017-021256.
London EC1V 0HB
Estela has research experience in economics, with emphasis on social welfare and health economics, having worked for the Human Development Research Group and the joint programme of the Brazilian Ministry of Health.
Her PhD focused on developing methods for measuring unfair inequalities in the Brazilian National Health System. She has worked at UCL as a health economist for NIHR CLAHRC North Thames and she was involved on a broad range of policy evaluation projects, including the evaluation of the implementation of Identification and Referral to Improve Safety (IRIS), a domestic violence training and support programme for primary care; and the evaluation of screening for HIV in primary care.
She is also involved in an international collaboration between UK, Brazil, Nepal, Palestine and Sri Lanka, carrying out the economic component of the evaluation of local healthcare responses to domestic violence and abuse.
She has joined the Violence and Society Centre at City on April 2021. Her current research involves secondary data analysis of administrative data collected by domestic-violence specialist services, probabilistic profiling of experiences of violence, lifetime societal costs of violence and in particular sexual violence and cost-effectiveness modelling of interventions to prevent violence.
Publications by category
Journal articles (20)
- Corsi, J., Cook, E., McManus, S., Innes, A., Capelas Barbosa, E. and Walby, S. (2021). The gendered dimensions of defences to homicide: a systematic review protocol.
- Innes, A., Capelas Barbosa, E., Cook, E., Corsi, J., Kotanen, R., McManus, S. … Walby, S. (2021). Prevalence of violence experienced by people with insecure immigration status, and perceptions of association with immigration control (protocol).
- Kotanen, R., McManus, S., Cook, E., Innes, A., Corsi, J., Capelas Barbosa, E. … Walby, S. (2021). Changes in statutory child protection service interventions in response to parental physical violence against children, 1990 to 2021: a systematic review (protocol).
- Walby, S., Stöckl, H., Cook, E., Innes, A., McManus, S., Corsi, J. … Capelas Barbosa, E. (2021). Sex/gender-disaggregated fatal violence: a systematic review (protocol).