London EC1V 0HB
Elena Manafi is a BPS Affiliate member, a Chartered Counselling Psychologist registered with the HCPC and an Existential Psychotherapist with a UKCP registration. She has worked in the NHS and organisational settings and is currently running her private practice in North London. Elena obtained her BSc in Psychology at the University of Essex, her MSc in Theoretical Psychoanalysis at UCL, and her PsychD in Psychotherapeutic and Counselling Psychology at the University of Surrey. Elena has been involved with professional trainings in Psychotherapy and Counselling Psychology for the past 15 years; she has been a programme director of the DPsych in Existential Phenomenological Doctorate in Counselling Psychology at Regent's University London and PsychD in Psychotherapeutic and Counselling psychology at Surrey University. She is an active member of the BPS and HCPC working teams for monitoring and assessing CoP Doctoral Programmes and a past Chair of the Counselling Psychology Training Committee (TCCP). Elena has in depth knowledge and passion for existential, phenomenological, and postmodern philosophies as well as psychoanalysis and existential analysis.
Her research interests include qualitative methodologies and their application to therapeutic practice; issues relevant to the ontological and epistemological foundations of Counselling Psychology; temporality and embodiment; sexuality; uncertainty; intersubjectivity, gender and identity; aloneness, isolation, solitude, and death; critical psychopathology; existential philosophy and postmodernism, as well as Eco-phenomenology and the therapeutic use of the natural world in CoP theory and practice.
- Certificate in Group Analysis, Institute of Group Analysis (IGA), United Kingdom
- External Examiner and Programme Moderator, New School of Psychotherapy and Counselling (NSPC), 2017 – present
- Programme Director, Surrey University, 2013 – 2018
- External Examiner and Programme Moderator, Glasgow Caledonian University, 2011 – 2015
- Programme Director, Regents University London, 2008 – 2012
Memberships of committees
- Chair, Training Committee in Counselling Psychology (TCCP), Sep 2008 – Sep 2013
Greek, Modern (1453-) (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review).
Publications by category
- Manafi, E. and Manafi, E. (2017). Application of Theory to Practice: Existential-Phenomenological Approaches. In Galbraith, V. (Ed.), Counselling Psychology Topics in Applied Psychology. ISBN 978-1-138-64836-4.
- Manafi, E. (2014). Forward to the book. In Milton, M. (Ed.), Sexuality Existential Perspectives ISBN 978-1-906254-70-4.
- Manafi, E. and Manafi, E. (2010). Existential/Phenomenological Contributions to Counselling Psychology's Relational Framework. In Milton, M. (Ed.), Therapy and Beyond Counselling Psychology Contributions to Therapeutic and Social Issues John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 978-0-470-79758-7.
- Manafi, E. and Manafi, E. (2010). 'Amor Fati': Existential Contributions to Pluralistic Practice. In Milton, M. (Ed.), Therapy and Beyond Counselling Psychology Contributions to Therapeutic and Social Issues John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 978-0-470-79758-7.