- Fahey, E. (2020). Future-mapping the directions of eu law: how do we predict the future of eu law? Journal of International and Comparative Law, 7(2), pp. 265–286.
- Fahey, E. and Mancini, I. (2020). THE EU AS AN INTENTIONAL OR ACCIDENTAL CONVERGENCE ACTOR? LEARNING FROM THE EU-JAPAN DATA ADEQUACY NEGOTIATIONS. International Trade Law and Regulation, 26(2), pp. 99–111.
- FAHEY, E. (2017). European Citizens Initiative “STOP TTIP” Can Proceed Says General Court. European Journal of Risk Regulation, 8(4), pp. 787–790. doi:10.1017/err.2017.68.
- Fahey, E. (2017). CETA and Global Governance Law. European Papers, 2(European Forum), pp. 293–302. doi:10.15166/2499-8249/119.
- Fahey, (2016). ON THE BENEFITS OF THE TTIP NEGOTIATIONS FOR THE EU LEGAL ORDER: A LEGAL PERSPECTIVE. Legal Issues of Economic Integration, 43(4), pp. 327–340.
- Fahey, E. (2016). Joining the dots: External norms, AFSJ Directives and the EU's role in the global legal order. European Law Review, 41(1), pp. 105–121.
- Fahey, E. (2014). EU foreign relations law: Litigating to incite openness in EU negotiations. European Journal of Risk Regulation, 5(4). doi:10.1017/S1867299X00004165S1867299X00004165.
- Fahey, E. (2014). On the Use of Law in Transatlantic Relations: Legal Dialogues between the EU and US. European Law Journal, 20(3), pp. 368–384. doi:10.1111/eulj.12046.
- Fahey, (2014). EU’S Cybercrime and Cyber Security Rule-Making: Mapping the Internal and External Dimensions of EU Security. European Journal of Risk Regulation, 5(1), pp. 46–60.
- Fahey, E. (2013). Law and Governance as Checks and Balances in Transatlantic Security: Rights, Redress, and Remedies in EU-US Passenger Name Records and the Terrorist Finance Tracking Program. Yearbook of European Law, 32(1), pp. 368–388. doi:10.1093/yel/yet012.
- Fahey, and Bardutzky, S. (2013). Judicial Review of Eurozone Law- The Adjudication of Postnational Norms in the EU Courts, Plural. A Casestudy of the European Stability Mechanism. Michigan Journal of International Law Online pp. 101–111.
- Fahey, and Bardutzky, S. (2013). European Integration Through Law- Emerging Scholarship Project. Michigan Journal of International Law Online pp. 101–111.
- Eckes, C., Fahey, and Kanetake, M. (2012). The Validity of the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA): Perspectives from European Union, US and International Law. Currents, International Trade Law Journal, 20(2), pp. 20–44.
- Fahey, and Hernell-Karnell, E. (2012). Introduction: EU Law qua Global Governance Law. German Law Journal, 13(11), pp. 1147–1150.
- Fahey, (2012). The EU Emission Trading Scheme and the Court of Justice: the High Politics of the indirect promotion of global standards. German Law Journal, 13(11), pp. 1247–1268.
- Fahey, and Hernell-Karnell, E. (2012). Introduction: EU Law qua Global Governance Law. German Law Journal, 13(11), pp. 1147–1150.
- Fahey, E. (2011). Does the Emperor Have Financial Crisis Clothes? Reflections on the Legal Basis of the European Banking Authority. The Modern Law Review, 74(4), pp. 581–595. doi:10.1111/j.1468-2230.2011.00861.x.
- Fahey, (2010). Swimming in a sea of law: Reflections on water borders, Irish (-British)-Euro Relations and opting-out and opting-in after the Treaty of Lisbon. Common Market Law Review, 47(3), pp. 673–707.
- Fahey, (2009). Interpretive legitimacy and the distinction between “social assistance” and “work seekers allowance”. European Law Review, 34, pp. 933–949.
- Fahey, (2009). Going Back to Basics: Re-embracing the Fundamentals of the Free Movement of Persons in Metock. Legal Issues of Economic Integration, 36(1), pp. 83–89.
- Fahey, (2008). Being a Third Pillar Guardian of Fundamental Rights? The Irish Supreme Court and the European arrest warrant. European Law Review, 33(4), pp. 563–576.
- Fahey, (2007). Reflections on the Scope of The European Union (Scrutiny) Act, 2002. European Public Law, 13, pp. 85–96.
- Fahey, E. Brexit and the Global Reach of EU Law. Irish Journal of European Law.
- Fahey, E. and Terpan, F. TORN BETWEEN INSTITUTIONALISATION AND JUDICIALISATION: THE DEMISE OF THE EU-US PRIVACY SHIELD. Indiana Journal of Global Legal Studies.
London EC1V 0HB
Elaine Fahey is Jean Monnet Chair of Law & Transatlantic Relations and Professor of Law at the Institute for the Study of European Law (ISEL), the City Law School, City, University of London. She has been co-convener of the Institute for the Study of European Law (ISEL), City Law School since 2016. In 2021 she is a visitor at iCourts, University of Copenhagen and in 2020, was a Visiting Fellow at the Department of Law, EUI, Florence. She was previously an Emile Noël Fellow at New York University (NYU) Law School and a visiting professor at Keio University Law School, Tokyo, Japan. Previously, she was a Senior Postdoctoral Researcher at Amsterdam Centre for European Law & Governance (ACELG) at the University of Amsterdam, a Max Weber Fellow at the European University Institute (EUI), Florence, and Assistant Lecturer and Lecturer in Law in Ireland (Dublin Institute of Technology; Trinity College Dublin). She has practised as a Barrister and was Chairperson of the Irish Society for European Law. She has been a stagiaire at the Court of Justice of the European Union in Luxembourg, a Judicial Research Assistant, Four Courts, Dublin and a Judicial Extern, Los Angeles Federal District Court (9th Circuit).
Her research interests span the relationship between EU law and global governance, trade, transatlantic relations, the EU’s Area of Freedom, Security and Justice and the study of law beyond the State. Her publications include a monograph, The Global Reach of EU Law (Routledge, 2016) and the multi-disciplinary edited volumes Framing Convergence with the Global Legal Order: the EU and the World (Hart, 2020), On Brexit: Law, Justices and Injustices (Edward Elgar, 2019), Framing The Subjects and Objects of EU law (Edward Elgar, 2017), The Actors of Postnational Rule-Making: Conceptual Challenges of European and International Law (Routledge, 2015), A Transatlantic Community of Law (Cambridge University Press, 2014), Institutionalisation beyond the Nation State (Springer, 2018) and the textbook, An Introduction to Law & Global Governance (Edward Elgar, 2018).
She was awarded an Erasmus+ Jean Monnet Chair in Law & Transatlantic Relations (2019-2022). She is co-investigator in the Marie Curie ITN on EU and Transatlantic Investment and Trade ('EUTIP') (2017-2021) MSCA ITN Grant No. 72191 and lead PI in the ESRC-funded FIC UK-EU-Japan SSH Connections grant, TRILATTRADE. She was recently awarded a British Academy/ Leverhulme Research Grant for the project 'Between Internal Laws and Global Practices: UN Instruments in the EU’s Area of Freedom, Security and Justice'.
She was Associate Dean (International) from 2016-2019 and interim Associate Dean (Research) in 2019 and co-convenor of Global Law@City since 2017.
- LLB, Trinity College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
- LLM, Sidney Sussex College, University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
- PhD, Trinity College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
- Attorney-at-Law, State of New York, United States
- Barrister-at-Law, Honorable Society of Kings's Inns, Ireland
- Postgraduate Certificate in Third Level Learning and Teaching, Dublin Institute of Technology, Dublin, Ireland
- Fellow, Higher Education Authority (HEA), UK
- Erasmus+ Jean Monnet Erasmus+ Jean Monnet Chair in Law & Transatlantic Relations (2019-2022)
Law beyond the State, Global Governance, EU law and international relations, the EU’s Area of Freedom, Security and Justice, UK-EU relations
- Isabella Mancini, Research Student
- Isabella Mancini, Early Stage Researcher
Publications by category
- (2018). Institutionalisation beyond the Nation State. Springer International Publishing. ISBN 978-3-319-50220-5.
- Fahey, E. (2018). Introduction to Law & Global Governance. Cheltenham UK & Massachusetts, MA, USA: Edward Elgar Publishing. ISBN 978-1-78897-050-1.
- Fahey, and Bardutzky, S. (Eds.), (2017). Framing the Subjects and Objects of EU law. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
- Fahey, (2016). The Global Reach of EU law. Abingdon and New York: Routledge. ISBN 978-1-138-69656-3.
- Fahey, (2014). A Transatlantic Community of Law: Legal Perspectives on the Relationship between the EU and US legal orders. Fahey, E. and Curtin, D. (Eds.), Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-1-107-06051-7.
- Schweppe, J., Kennedy, R., Fahey, E. and Donnelly, L. (2011). How to Think, Write and Cite: Key Skills for Irish Law Students. ISBN 978-1-85800-631-4.
- Fahey, E. (2010). EU Law in Ireland. Dublin: Clarus press. ISBN 978-1-905536-30-6.
- Fahey, E. and O'Connor, C. (Eds.), (2009). Súil ar an dlí. Dublin: Lonsdale Blackwell Publishing. ISBN 978-1-907325-04-5.
- Fahey, E. (2007). Practice and Procedure in Preliminary References to Europe. Dublin: Firstlaw. ISBN 978-1-904480-57-0.
- The Actors of Postnational Rule-Making. Routledge.
- Fahey, E. and Ahmed, T. On Brexit: Law, Justices and Injustices. Fahey, E. and Ahmed, T. (Eds.), Abingdon: Edward Elgar Publishing. ISBN 978-1-78990-300-3.
- Fahey, E. (Ed.), FRAMING CONVERGENCE WITH THE GLOBAL ORDER: THE EU AND THE WORLD. Oxford: Hart Publishing. ISBN 978-1-5099-3437-9.
- Fahey, E. (2020). Critical EU International Relations Law: a Research Agenda. In Cardwell, P.J. and Grainger, M.-.P. (Eds.), Research Handbook on the Politics of EU Law Abingdon: Edward Elgar Publishing. ISBN 978-1-78897-127-0.
- Fahey, E. (2019). The legal effects of the EU's interaction with other international institutions in law. In Wessel, R. and Odermatt, J. (Eds.), Research Handbook on The Europan Union's Engagement with International Organisations Edward Elgar. ISBN 978-1-78643-892-8.
- Carrapico, H., Niehuss, A. and Berthélémy, C. (2019). Brexit and Internal Security. Springer International Publishing. ISBN 978-3-030-04193-9.
- Fahey, E. (2019). Hyper-legalisation and delegalisation in the AFSJ: on contradictions in the external management of EU migration. In Carrera, S., Santos Vara, J. and Strik, T. (Eds.), Constitutionalising the External Dimensions of EU Migration Policies in Times of Crisis (pp. 116–134). Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar. ISBN 978-1-78897-247-5.
- Bardutzky, S. and Fahey, E. (2017). The subjects and objects of EU law: Exploring a research platform. In Fahey, E. and Bardutzky, S. (Eds.), Framing the Subjects and Objects of EU law (pp. 309–314). Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing. ISBN 978-1-78643-573-6.
- Fahey, E. (2017). The evolution of transatlantic legal integration: Truly, madly, deeply? EU-US justice and home affairs. The Routledge Handbook of Justice and Home Affairs Research (pp. 336–345). ISBN 978-1-138-18375-9.
- Fahey, E. (2016). Introduction. The Global Reach of EU law (pp. 4–19). London: Routledge. ISBN 978-1-138-69656-3.
- Fahey, (2015). Transatlantic Criminal law. In Mitsilegas, V.M., Konstadinides, T. and Bergström, M. (Eds.), Research Handbook on EU Criminal Law Cheltenham: Edward Elgar. ISBN 978-1-78347-330-4.
- Fahey, E. (2015). Introduction: Framing the actors of postnational rule-making. In Fahey, E. (Ed.), The Actors of Postnational Rule-Making: Contemporary challenges of European and International Law (pp. 1–23). Routledge. ISBN 978-1-138-85666-0.
- Fahey, and Bardutzky, S. (2014). Judicial Review of legal instruments of the Eurozone. In Adams, M., Larouche, P. and Fabbrini, F. (Eds.), The Constitutionalisation of European Budgetary Constraints (pp. 341–358). Oxford: Hart Publishing.
- Fahey, (2014). Towards a Transatlantic Community of Law? The Use of Law between the EU and US Legal Orders: Questions of Legal Form and Characterisation. In Fahey, E. and Curtain, D. (Eds.), A Transatlantic Community of Law: Legal Perspectives on the Relationship between the EU and US legal orders Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Fahey, and Bartl, M. (2014). A Postnational Marketplace: Negotiating the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP). In Fahey, E. and Curtin, D. (Eds.), A Transatlantic Community of Law: Legal Perspectives on the Relationship between the EU and US legal orders Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Fahey, (2012). Jagged-Edged Jigsaw: The Limits of Multi-Speed Integration and AFSJ Policy. In Trybus, M. and Rubini, L. (Eds.), The Future of EU Law and Policy Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
- Fahey, and Cahill, D. (2008). Ireland-Competition law and Article 234 EC. In Rodger, B. (Ed.), Article 234 EC and Competition Law: An Analysis Hague: Kluwer.
- Fahey, E. Of ‘One Shotters’ and ‘Repeat Hitters’: A Retrospective on the Role of the European Parliament in the EU-US PNR Litigation. EU Law Stories (pp. 528–550). Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-1-316-34047-9.
- Fahey, E. UNRAVELLING THE SUBJECTS AND OBJECTS OF EU EXTERNAL MIGRATION LAW. In Fanoulis, E., Rosamond, B., Bigo, D., Diez, T. and Stivachtis, Y. (Eds.), The Routledge Handbook of Critical European Studies Routledge.
- Fahey, E. TRANSPARENCY IN TRANSATLANTIC TRADE AND DATA LAW. In Abazi, V. and Rosen, G. (Eds.), Foreign Policy Secrets in the Age of Transparency USA: Oxford University Press.
Internet publications (2)
- Fahey, E. (2021). Whither transatlantic trade? The future of institutional solutions. EU Law Live (Weekend Edition).
- Costa, M. and Fahey, E. (2016). Accountability and Transparency of the Executive & Brexit under UK and EU Law. News from City, University of London.
Journal articles (24)
- Fahey, E. (2017). CETA and Global Governance.
- Fahey, E. (2013). Transatlantic Partnership requires open democratic debate.
- Fahey, E. (2020). DIGITAL TRADE AND DATA EQUIVALENCY: RESEARCH BRIEFING FOR THE WELSH PARLIAMENT..
- Fahey, and Santos Vara, J. (2014). Transatlantic Relations and Flexibility within the AFSJ. Brussels: Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Fahey, E. and McIntyre, T.J. (2012). FIDE Congress, Talinn 2012 rapporteur, The Area of Freedom, Security and Justice & the Information Society -Ireland Report..
- Fahey, E., Donnelly, C. and Conlan, P. (2010). 53. FIDE Congress, Madrid 2010 co-rapporteur Role of National Parliaments- Ireland Report..
Working papers (13)
- Shleina, V., Fahey, E., Klonick, K., Menéndez González, N., Murray, A. and Tzanou, M. (2020). The Law of Facebook: Borders, Regulation and Global Social Media.
- Fahey, E., Mancini, I., Harrison, J., Suttle, O., Zelazna, E., Garcia, M. … Shleina, V. (2020). The EU as a Good Global Actor. London, UK: City Law School, City, University of London.
- Fahey, E. (2020). Institutionalising EU Cyber Law: Can the EU institutionalise its many subjects and objects? Vienna: Vienna Institute for European Integration Research (EIF) Working Paper Series 2/2020
- Curtis, M., Smith, M., Parmar, I., Rees, W., Mai'a, K., Cross, D. … Shleina, V. (2020). Contemporary Issues in Transatlantic Relations. London, UK: City Law School, City, University of London.
- Fahey, E. (2020). FUTURE-MAPPING THE DIRECTIONS OF EUROPEAN UNION (EU) LAW: HOW DO WE PREDICT THE FUTURE OF EU LAW? London, UK: CityLaw School, City, Univeristy of London.
- Ahmed, T. and Fahey, E. (2019). On Brexit: Law, Justices and Injustices. London, UK: The City Law School.
- Fahey, E., McDonagh, L., Bonadio, E., Collins, D. and Rogers, A. (2019). REPORT ON THE TRILTRADE PROJECT: TRADE, REGULATION & IP POST-BREXIT. London: City Law School Working Paper Series.
- Fahey, E. (2018). The Global Dimension of the EU’s AFSJ: On Internal Transparency and External Practice. New York: NYU Jean Monnet Centre.
- Bardutzky, S. and Fahey, E. (2017). The subjects and objects of EU law: Exploring a research platform. London, UK: The City Law School Research Paper Series.
- Fahey, E. (2012). Reviewing High Politics: A Methodology for the Justiciability of EU-US Legal Relations. Amsterdam Centre for European Law and Governance.
- Fahey, E. (2010). Reflections on the Legal Role of the Irish Parliament (Oireachtas) in EU Affairs After Lisbon. Italy: European University Institute.
- Fahey, The EU’s Participation in the Global Legal Order as a Postnational Democracy: Manifestations of Sovereignty.
- Fahey, E., Odermatt, J. and O'Loughlin, E. Whose Global law? Comparative, Regional and Cyber Approaches to Law-Making. London, UK: City Law School.
- Fahey, E. (2019). Constructing the Person in EU Law: Rights, Role, Identities.
- Fahey, (2016). Joining the Dots: External Norms, AFSJ Directives and the EU’s Role in Global Legal Order.
- Fahey, E. (2016). The European Court of Justice and External Relations Law: Constitutional Challenges.