- Bergen, C. and McCabe, R. (2021). Negative stance towards treatment in psychosocial assessments: The role of personalised recommendations in promoting acceptance. Social Science & Medicine pp. 114082–114082. doi:10.1016/j.socscimed.2021.114082.
- Bergen, C. (2020). The conditional legitimacy of behavior change advice in primary care. Social Science and Medicine, 255. doi:10.1016/j.socscimed.2020.112985.
- Bergen, C., Stivers, T., Barnes, R.K., Heritage, J., McCabe, R., Thompson, L. … Toerien, M. (2018). Closing the Deal: A Cross-Cultural Comparison of Treatment Resistance. Health Communication, 33(11), pp. 1377–1388. doi:10.1080/10410236.2017.1350917.
- Bergen, C. and Stivers, T. (2013). Patient Disclosure of Medical Misdeeds. Journal of Health and Social Behavior, 54(2), pp. 221–240. doi:10.1177/0022146513487379.
London EC1V 0HB
Dr Bergen is a Research Fellow at City University of London Division of Health Services Research and Management. She received her PhD from the University of California Los Angeles Department of Sociology in 2019.
Dr Bergen researches interpersonal communication in healthcare settings, with a focus on sensitive topics of conversation including behavior change and mental health. Her publications identify straightforward, communications-based interventions to improve healthcare provision. At the same time, her research speaks to a broader social agenda by identifying social-interactional mechanisms that underlie disparities in patients’ experiences of stratified healthcare systems.
Currently, Dr Bergen contributes to multiple projects including Agency, Justice, and Social Identity in Youth Mental Health, a study involving young people and academics working in Philosophy, Ethics and Neuroscience. Improving Outcomes in Patients Who Self-Harm, adapting and evaluating a brief psychological intervention in emergency departments (ASsuRED). She is also co-leading development of online resources for healthcare practitioners: Talking About Mental Health (TAMH).
- PhD Sociology, University of California Los Angeles, USA, Sep 2015 – Jun 2019
- Research Fellow, City, University of London, Jul 2019 – present
- Events & Exchange Programs Coordinator, University of California Los Angeles, Jun 2015 – Jun 2018