- Yap, C. (2021). Making the city through participatory video: implications for urban geography. Urban Geography pp. 1–21. doi:10.1080/02723638.2021.1948698.
- Fernandez-Wulff, P. and Yap, C. (2020). The Urban Politics of Human Rights Practice. Journal of Human Rights Practice, 12(2), pp. 409–427. doi:10.1093/jhuman/huaa019.
- Yap, C. and McFarlane, C. (2020). Understanding and researching urban extreme poverty: a conceptual–methodological approach. Environment and Urbanization, 32(1), pp. 254–274. doi:10.1177/0956247819890829.
- Yap, C. (2019). Self-Organisation in Urban Community Gardens: Autogestion, Motivations, and the Role of Communication. Sustainability, 11(9), pp. 2659–2659. doi:10.3390/su11092659.
- Yap, C. (2016). The art of natural cheesemaking by David Asher. Canadian Food Studies / La Revue canadienne des études sur l'alimentation, 3(1), pp. 136–139. doi:10.15353/cfs-rcea.v3i1.157.
- Waage, J., Yap, C., Bell, S., Levy, C., Mace, G., Pegram, T. … Poole, N. (2015). Governing the UN Sustainable Development Goals: interactions, infrastructures, and institutions. The Lancet Global Health, 3(5). doi:10.1016/s2214-109x(15)70112-9.
London EC1V 0HB
Christopher is an urban geographer based at the Centre for Food Policy, City University. His research draws on political economy and political ecology perspectives to examine intersections between urbanisation, planning, inequality, and food systems governance. Christopher is particularly interested in the ways that socio-political processes shape and are shaped by spatial development at the local, urban, and territorial levels. His research employs qualitative, ethnographic, and participatory visual methods, including participatory video-making.
Christopher is a Research Fellow on a large interdisciplinary action research programme, FixOurFood (fixourfood.org). He part of a work package that examines and contributes towards developing the policies, governance structures, and decision-making processes that are necessary to transform the UK’s food systems.
Christopher has previously been involved in a wide range of international research projects with University College London, the London International Development Centre, the International Institute for Environment and Development, and FIAN International. His research, conducted in cities across Europe, Latin America, and East Africa, has examined issues related to urban agriculture, urban development planning, urban poverty, water and sanitation, and development policy-making.
Christopher holds a PhD in human and social geography from the Centre for Agroecology, Water and Resilience, Coventry University and an MSc Development Administration and Planning from the Bartlett Development Planning Unit, UCL.
- PhD Human and Social Geography, Coventry University, UK, Apr 2015 – Sep 2018
- MSc Development Administration and Planning, University College London, United Kingdom, Sep 2011 – Sep 2012
- BA Religion, Philosophy and Ethics, King's College London, United Kingdom, Sep 2006 – Jun 2010
- Research Fellow, City, University of London, Aug 2021 – present
- Research Fellow, University College London, Mar 2018 – Aug 2021
- Research Associate, FIAN International - Transnational Institute, Sep 2016 – Jan 2018
- Research Assistant in Sustainable Development, London International Development Centre, Jan – Dec 2014
- Graduate Teaching and Research Assistant, University College London, Jul 2013 – Apr 2015
Publications by category
- Waage, J. and Yap, C. (Eds.), (2015). Thinking Beyond Sectors for Sustainable Development. London: Ubiquity Press. ISBN 978-1-909188-42-6.
- Allen, A., Lambert, R. and Yap, C. (2017). Co-learning the city. The Routledge Companion to Planning in the Global South (pp. 355–367). Routledge.
- Waage, J., Yap, C., Bell, S., Levy, C., Mace, G., Pegram, T. … Poole, N. (2015). Governing Sustainable Development Goals: interactions, infrastructures, and institutions. Thinking Beyond Sectors for Sustainable Development (pp. 79–88). London: Ubiquity Press.
- Waage, J., Yap, C., Bell, S., Levy, C., Mace, G., Pegram, T. … Poole, N. (2015). Governing Sustainable Development Goals: interactions, infrastructures, and institutions. Thinking Beyond Sectors for Sustainable Development (pp. 79–88). Ubiquity Press.
Journal articles (6)
- Blanco, L., Castroviejo, X., de Angelis, T., Testi, E. and Yap, C. (2016). Jardin Interior: Garden Inside.
- Butcher, S., Cociña, C., Yap, C. and Levy, C. (2021). Localising the Sustainable Development Goals: An urban equality perspective. London: KNOW-UCL.
- Fernandez-Wulff, P. and Yap, C. (2018). Leveraging urban policy for food sovereignty and human rights. Amsterdam-Heidelberg: Transnational Institute.
- Yap, C. (2013). Urban Food Sovereignty: Food, Land and Democracy in Kampala. London: DPU-UCL.