- Cheung, C.W., Guo, S.J. and Zhou, L. (2008). Cutout Reinforcements for Shear Loaded Laminated and Sandwich Composite Panels. International Journal of Mechanics and Materials in Design.
- Banerjee, J.R., Cheung, C.W., Morishima, R., Perera, M. and Njuguna, J. (2007). Free vibration of a three-layered sandwich beam using the dynamic stiffness method and experiment. International Journal of Solids and Structures, 44(22-23), pp. 7543–7563. doi:10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2007.04.024.
- Cheung, C.W. (2007). Numerical Computation of Subsonic Oscillatory Airforce Coefficients For Wing-winglet Configurations. Journal of Algorithms and Computational Technology.
- Cheung, C.W. (2007). Theoretical Determination of Subsonic Oscillatory Airforce Coefficients for Cruciform-tail Configurations. Journal of Algorithms and Computational Technology, 1(1).
- Guo, S.J., Bannerjee, J.R. and Cheung, C.W. (2003). The effect of laminate lay-up on the flutter speed of composite wings. Proc. Institution of Mechanical Engineers,Part G: Journal of Aerospace Engineering, 217(G3), pp. 115–122.
- Banerjee, J.R., Guo, S, and Cheung, C.W.C., (2003). Effect of laminate lay-up on the aeroelastic behaviour of composite wings. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part G, Journal of Aerospace Engineering, 217, pp. 115–122.
- Cheung, C.W. and Lai, C.H. (2001). On a flexible elimination algorithm with applications to panel element equations. IMA J NUMER ANAL, 21(2), pp. 1–17.
London EC1V 0HB
Dr Cheung graduated with a BSc (Hons) degree in Mechanical Engineering and undertook postgraduate research in Aeronautical Engineering, both from Queen Mary and Westfield College, University of London (1981-1984).
He joined British Aerospace Civil Aircraft Division, Hatfield, in January 1985, working in the Aeroelastics Section as an Assistant Engineer. He was initially assigned a Ministry of Defence contract to carry out research on the development of computational methods for calculating unsteady aerodynamics on aircraft lifting surfaces. He was responsible for the development of two major computer programmes that are currently being used for the design of BAe aircraft. In 1990 Dr Cheung was promoted to the position of Principal Engineer.
Apart from his research work on unsteady aerodynamics, Dr Cheung was also involved in flutter analysis and certification work for a number of different aircraft ranging from BAe 146, Airbus A330 and A340 and 125 aircraft. Between early 1990 and 1992 he was responsible for the flutter analysis of the new BAe Jetstream 41 aircraft and led one of two shifts that completed the ground vibration test for the prototype aircraft.
Dr Cheung has been a member of staff in the Department of Aeronautics, Civil & Mechanical Engineering (now the School of Engineering & Mathematical Science) since July 1994. His main duties include teaching the Part II and III students on aircraft structures and aeroelasticity as well as carrying out research in these areas. He has contributed to the publication of more than 20 BAe technical reports and research papers.
Dr Cheung is a member of the Centre for Aeronautics and Programme Director for the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Aeronautics.
- PhD Aeronautical Engineering, University of London, United Kingdom, 1981 – 1984
- BSc (Hons) Mechanical Engineering, University of London, United Kingdom, 1981
- Assistant Engineer, British Aerospace Plc, 1985 – 1992
- Structural Dynamics and Aeroelasticity
- Ground Vibration and Flight Flutter Testings of Aircraft Structures
- Active Control Technology for Aircraft Dynamics and Structural Responses Studies
- Finite Element Modelling of Structures
Publications by category
Conference papers and proceedings (11)
- Cheung, C.W., Chang, C.-.H. and Bond, S.J. (2008). The Expectation of After ‘Open Skies’ Between Taiwan and China. Air Transport Research Society Conference 6-10 July, Athens, Greece.
- Cheung, C.W., Chang, C.-.H. and Bond, S.J. (2008). The study of route characteristics in the Taiwanese market. Air Transport Research Society Conference 6-10 July, Athens, Greece.
- Cheung, C.W., Chang, C.-.H. and Bond, J.R. (2007). Taiwanese Airlines and Government Views of Low Cost Carrier Development Between Taiwan and other Asian Countries. Air Transport Research Society World Conference 21-24 June, U.C. Berkeley, USA.
- Cheung, C.W., Guo, S.J. and Zhou, L. (2006). Cutout Reinforcements for Shear Loaded Composite Panels. 5th International Conference on Mechanics and Materials in Design 24-26 July, Porto, Portugal.
- Cheung, C.W. and Guo, S.J. (2006). Aeroelastic Optimisation of a Tapered Composite Wing Structure. 5th International Conference on Mechanics and Materials in Design 24-26 July, Porto, Portugal.
- Banerjee, J.R., Cheung, C.W.C., Morishima, R., Perera, M. and Njuguna, J. (2006). Free Vibration of a Three-layered Sandwich Beam using Theory and Experiment. 47th AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference 1-4 May, Newport, Rhode Island, USA.
- Cheung, C.W., Njuguna, J. and Banerjee, J.R. (2006). Theorectical and Experimental Modal Analysis of Laminated Composite Beams. 2nd Seminar on Modern Polymeric Materials for Environmental Applications under the auspices of EC Marie Curie Programme, 23-25 March.
- Cheung, C.W., Njuguna, J., Pielichowski, K., Banerjee, J.R. and Alcock, J.R. (2006). Recent Advances in Segmented Polyurethane Nanocomposite. 2nd Seminar on Modern Polymeric Materials for Environmental Applications under the auspices of EC Marie Curie Programme 23-25 March.
- Cheung, C.W., Chang, C.-.H. and Bond, S.J. (2005). Feasibility Study on Establishing a Low Cost Carrier in Taiwan. ATRS Conference May, Nogoya.
- Su, H., Cheung, C.W. and Banerjee, J.R. (2003). Free Vibration of Metallic and Composite Beams Exhibiting Bending-Torsion Coupling. Ninth International Conference on Civil and Structural Engineering Computing 2-4 September, Egmond-aan-Zee, The Netherlands.
- Njuguna, J., Su, H., Cheung, C.W. and Banerjee, J.R. (2002). The influence of ply orientation on the free vibration of laminated composite beams. ACUN-4 Conference on Composite Systems - Macropcomposites, Microcomposites, Nanocomposites 21-25 July, University of New South Wales (UNSW), SYDNEY, Australia.