- Yuill, C., McCourt, C. and Rocca-Ihenacho, L. (2020). Pop-up’ birth centers? Considering COVID-19 responses and place of birth in England. Medical Anthropology Quarterly, June(2020).
- Yuill, C., McCourt, C., Cheyne, H. and Leister, N. (2020). Women's experiences of decision-making and informed choice about pregnancy and birth care: A systematic review and meta-synthesis of qualitative research. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth, 20(1). doi:10.1186/s12884-020-03023-6.
- Rocca-Ihenacho, L., Yuill, C. and McCourt, C. (2020). Relationships and trust: Two key pillars of a well-functioning freestanding midwifery unit. Birth. doi:10.1111/birt.12521.
- Yuill, C. (2018). Better Births at the Barkantine in East London: celebrating ten years. AIMS Journal, 30(2), pp. 16–18.
- Yuill, C. (2018). ‘Is Anthropology Legal?’ Anthropology in Action, 25(2), pp. 36–41. doi:10.3167/aia.2018.250205.
London EC1V 0HB
Dr Cassandra Yuill is a medical anthropologist, specialising in maternal health and maternity services in the United Kingdom. Her interests cover a range of reproductive health topics, with particular focus on decision-making about maternity care, informed choice and embodiment. She has conducted research on adolescent nutrition and physical activity, parent-infant sleep, place of birth and midwifery-led care, and is currently undertaking research on induction of labour with the CHOICE study.
Cassandra received her BA from University of Maryland, College Park, MSc from University of Durham and PhD from City, University of London. Her doctoral thesis explored parents' decision-making about place of birth, drawing from ethnographic research in East London. Previously, she worked as a Research Assistant and then Research Associate in the Durham Infancy & Sleep Centre, University of Durham. She is currently a Research Fellow in the Centre for Maternal and Child Health Research.
- PhD, City, University London, United Kingdom, 2016 – 2019
- MSc, Durham University, United Kingdom, 2012 – 2013
- BA, University of Maryland, College Park, United States, 2008 – 2011
- Research Fellow, City, University London, 2020 – present
- Research Associate, Durham University, 2015 – 2016
- Research Assistant, Durham University, 2013 – 2015
Memberships of professional organisations
- European Association of Social Anthropologists
French (can read, write, speak and understand spoken).
Publications by category
Internet publications (2)
Journal articles (5)
- Yuill, C., Soria, J., Rocca-Ihenacho, L., Reeve-Jones, C. and McCourt, C. (2018). The Barkantine Birth Centre: Celebrating 10 years as a Community Hub. London: Barts Health NHS Trust.