- Alkhuzai, K. and Denisova, A. (2021). Evaluating the Use of Persuasive Design Cards for Novice Designers. Journal of usability studies, 16(2), pp. 91–120.
- Denisova, A., Cairns, P., Guckelsberger, C. and Zendle, D. (2020). Measuring perceived challenge in digital games: Development & validation of the challenge originating from recent gameplay interaction scale (CORGIS). International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, 137, pp. 102383–102383. doi:10.1016/j.ijhcs.2019.102383.
- Power, C., Cairns, P., Denisova, A., Papaioannou, T. and Gultom, R. (2019). Lost at the Edge of Uncertainty: Measuring Player Uncertainty in Digital Games. International Journal of Human–Computer Interaction, 35(12), pp. 1033–1045. doi:10.1080/10447318.2018.1507161.
- Jones, M., Denisova, A., Mitchell, S. and Owen, T. (2019). Acceptability of a Plasticity-Focused Serious Game Intervention for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder: User Requirements Analysis. JMIR Serious Games, 7(2). doi:10.2196/11909.
- Denisova, A. and Cairns, P. (2019). Player experience and deceptive expectations of difficulty adaptation in digital games. Entertainment Computing, 29, pp. 56–68. doi:10.1016/j.entcom.2018.12.001.
London EC1V 0HB
My research interests concern Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), User Experience (UX), Games User Research (GUR), and video games research in a broader sense. Specifically, my work focuses on:
- Player experience in digital games;
- Persuasive interactive technologies and games;
- Digital tools and games for health and wellbeing;
- Educational technology and video games;
- Measurements of user experience.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, Higher Education Academy, United Kingdom, Apr 2019
- PhD, University of York, United Kingdom, 2013 – 2016
- Postgraduate Certificate Teaching in Higher Education, Swansea University, Swansea, United Kingdom, 2017 – 2019
- Lecturer in Computer Science, City, University of London, Jan 2019 – present
- Associate Lecturer in Computer Science, Swansea University, Nov 2016 – Dec 2018
- Research Technician, University of York, Nov 2016 – Aug 2017
- Teaching Assistant in Computer Science, University of York, Oct 2014 – Mar 2016
Publications by category
Conference papers and proceedings (13)
- Denisova, A., Bopp, J.A., Nguyen, T.D. and Mekler, E.D. (2021). “Whatever the Emotional Experience, It’s Up to Them”: Insights from Designers of Emotionally Impactful Games. CHI '21: CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems.
- Firat, E.E., Denisova, A. and Laramee, R.S. (2020). Treemap Literacy: A Classroom-Based Investigation. EUROGRAPHICS 2020 25-29 May, Norrköping, Sweden.
- Peng, X., Huang, J., Denisova, A., Chen, H., Tian, F. and Wang, H. (2020). A Palette of Deepened Emotions: Exploring Emotional Challenge in Virtual Reality Games. CHI '20: CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems.
- Denisova, A. and Cook, E. (2019). Power-Ups in Digital Games: The Rewarding Effect of Phantom Game Elements on Player Experience. CHI PLAY '19 22-25 October, Barcelona, Spain.
- Nordin, A.I., Hudson, M., Denisova, A. and Beeston, J. (2018). Perceptions of Telepresence Robot Form.
- Power, C., Denisova, A., Papaioannou, T. and Cairns, P. (2017). Measuring Uncertainty in Games. CHI '17: CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems.
- Denisova, A., Guckelsberger, C. and Zendle, D. (2017). Challenge in Digital Games. CHI '17: CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems.
- Abd Rahman, M.H., Nordin, A.I. and Denisova, A. (2017). The Effect of Time Manipulation on Immersion in Digital Games.
- Denisova, A., Nordin, A.I. and Cairns, P. (2016). The Convergence of Player Experience Questionnaires. the 2016 Annual Symposium 16-19 October.
- Denisova, A. and Cairns, P. (2015). Adaptation in Digital Games: The Effect of Challenge Adjustment on Player Performance and Experience. the 2015 Annual Symposium 5-7 October.
- Denisova, A. and Cairns, P. (2015). First Person vs. Third Person Perspective in Digital Games. the 33rd Annual ACM Conference 18-23 April.
- Denisova, A. and Cairns, P. (2015). The Placebo Effect in Digital Games. CHI PLAY '15: The annual symposium on Computer-Human Interaction in Play.
- Nordin, A.I., Denisova, A. and Cairns, P. (2014). Too Many Questionnaires: Measuring Player Experience Whilst Playing Digital Games. The Seventh York Doctoral Symposium on Computer Science and Electronics York, United Kingdom.
Journal articles (5)
Editorial activity (6)
- ACM CHI'21, Associate Chair (AC) for ACM CHI'21 [Games & Play], 2020 – 2021.
- ACM CHI Play'20, Program Committee Member [ACM CHI Play'20], 2020.
- ACM CHI'20, Associate Chair (AC) for ACM CHI'20 [Games & Play], 2019 – 2020.
- ACM CHI Play'19, Program Committee Member [ACM CHI Play'19], 2019.
- ACM CHI Play'18, Program Committee Member [ACM CHI Play'18], 2018.
- ACM CHI Play'17, Spotlight Track Programme Committee Member [ACM CHI Play'17], 2017.
Online articles (3)
- Placebo effect works in video games too. (2015). New Scientist
- Placebo effect present in video games, say UK researchers. (2015). Gamasutra
- Saying a Game Has 'AI' Makes It Better (Because No One Knows What It Means). (2015). Vice: Motherboard