As a condition of research funding, a number of US funding bodies require the institution and the PI to demonstrate Federal Wide Assurance (FWA) compliance.
FWA is required when the research involves:
- intervening or interacting with human subjects; and/or
- obtaining individually identifiable private information about human subject
The assurance applies whenever this Institution becomes engaged in human subjects research conducted or supported by any U.S. federal department or agency that has adopted the U.S. Federal Policy for the Protection of Human Subjects (also known as the Common Rule), unless the research is otherwise exempt from the requirements of the Common Rule or the department or agency conducting or supporting the research determines that the research shall be conducted under a separate assurance.
Senate Research Ethics Committee maintains a Federalwide Assurance of compliance with U.S. Department of Health and Human Services regulations for research involving human participants, and carries out ethical review and approval of projects which require FWA compliance.
City, University of London FWA registration details
- The Institution number is: IORG0003817
- The FWA Assurance number is: FWA00024808
- The IRB identification is: IRB00004520 City U London IRB #1 Senate Research Ethics Committee.