External Examiners play a critical role in supporting the maintenance of academic standards and overseeing the assessment process. The University appoints External Examiners for all provision that leads to our award, including activity delivered through validation and partnership.
University External Examiner Induction
Our External Examiner Induction Sessions take place twice per academic year, usually around December during Semester 1 and around March-April during Semester 2. Dates will be confirmed with newly appointed External Examiners closer to the date.
Aspects to be covered during the Induction Session will include:
- Introduction to City's aims, character, strategy
- Types and roles of External Examiner at City and why they are important
- What you need to know about the Programme
- City's policies on assessment and feedback
- The External Examiner's Annual Report
- The broader HE context
- Question and answer session.
There will be an hour set aside for Programme Directors and External Examiners to have one-to-one programme-specific induction sessions, further to the University induction.
External Examiners Guide
External Examiner Induction
- RISES External Advisor Roles & Responsibilities
- RISES Appointment Form
- RISES External Advisor Annual Report for the HEA CPD Scheme.
External Examiner Appointment and Re-appointment
- External Examiner Nomination Form
- Acceptance/Bank Transfer Form
- Right to Work Verification Coversheet
- Right to Work Verification Coversheet.
- External Examiner Annual Report 2018-19 (ideally completed using Google Chrome or Firefox Browsers)
- External Examiner Annual Report 2019-20
- External Examiner Annual Report - Preview of Questions
- Response to External Examiner's Annual Report Form
- Review of External Examiner Reports Reflecting on 18/19 Academic Year.