The Sustainability Committee is responsible for the management of City's sustainability objectives and reports to the University's Executive Council (ExCo).
The Committee is made up of staff and students from different areas across the institution. It is chaired by Professor Ken Grattan, Dean of the Graduate School, who is a member of ExCo.
The Sustainability Committee aims to:
- Embed sustainability within all of City's activities involving both students and staff
- Develop and report on progress on the integration of education for sustainable development into the curriculum
- Develop action plans and targets to ensure continual improvement against all areas of the People & Planet Green League (City's strategic key performance indicator for environmental sustainability)
- Monitor and report on performance against City's key performance indicator
- Ensure effective communication of achievements within and outside the institution
- Identify opportunities for enhancing the profile of the Sustainability Committee
- Report to ExCo twice a year and to Council annually through the submission of an Annual Sustainability Report.
- Chair: Prof Ken Grattan (Dean of Graduate School)
- Deputy Chair: Jason Clarke (Head of Sustainability)
- Secretary: Stevie York (Administration Assistant, Property and Facilities)
- The Business School: Prof Paul Palmer (Professor and Associate Dean, Faculty of Management); Pro Peter Fleming (Professor, Faculty of Management)
- City Law School: Grietje Baars (Lecturer)
- School of Arts and Social Sciences: Sarah Lonsdale (Programme Director, Journalism)
- School of Mathematics, Engineering and Computer Science: Prof Martin Fry (Visiting Professor)
- School of Health Sciences: Dr Catherine Suttle (Senior Lecturer, Optometry)
- Academic Services: Anika Bloomfield (Education and Student Strategy Coordinator); Maggie Cunningham (Assistant Registrar)
- Sport and Leisure Services: Bill Thompson (Head of Sport and Leisure)
- Learning Enhancement and Development: Patrick Baughan (Senior Lecturer, Learning Development Centre)
- Finance: Suri Araniyasundaran (Head of Financial Services); Debasish Bandopadhyay (Procurement Manager)
- Human Resources: Sally Sambrook (Leadership and Staff Development Consultant)
- Information Services: Eric McIntosh (Enterprise Architect, Information Services); Robert Clarke (IT Business Relationship Manager, Information Services)
- Marketing and Communications: Demetri Petrou (Internal Communications Officer)
- Property and Facilities: Jason Clarke (Head of Sustainability); Eleanor Simes Property and Facilities
- Student Services: Vacant
- President: Olesea Matcovschi
- VP Education: Malek Arab
- VP Activities: Zulkaif Riaz
- Unite: Simon Bralee
- Unison: Catherine Stokes
- Unison: Miles Battye
- UCU: Martin Chivers
City has developed an Environmental Management System (EMS) to manage its environmental aspects and impacts and to help integrate sustainability into its daily services and activities.
City's EMS has been certified to ISO 14001, the international standard for Environmental Management Systems.
The fully functioning EMS provides a framework for monitoring, measuring and reviewing our environmental objectives and targets.
The Sustainability Committee is responsible for managing and reviewing the EMS and reports on progress against objectives within the Annual Sustainability Report which is published on the website.