City, University of London develops world leading research into issues of global concern, attracting talented staff and students from around the world. We're part of a global community of alumni, employers and partners.
A global outlook and make up is integral to the work of City, from research which has global impact to a global alumni network of over 140,000 former students and staff, and a Careers Service which supports the internationalisation of employment outcomes for our students.
- 7,375 of all students at City are from outside the UK, representing 35% of total enrolments. Of these, 10% were from within and 25% were from outside the EU. (Data from HESA Student Return 2017/18)
- 43% of City's academic staff are from outside the UK
- City currently has a global alumni membership of 140,000 and a network of alumni ambassadors around the world
- In the 2014 Research Excellence Framework, 23% of City's submitted research was considered world-leading (4*) and 52.5% was considered internationally excellent (3*); 1,470 research journal publications from staff at City were with an international co-author. This accounts for 42.8% of all publications
- We have long-standing teaching, research and exchange partnerships with world leading universities.
Our Global City brochure sets out further background to how our global impact, outlook and reach are fundamental parts of our strategic vision.
Our ambitious internationalisation strategy outlines how we will continue our journey to becoming a truly global university over the period until 2026.
Sustainable Development Goals
The importance of global engagement was recognised during the development of City's Vision & Strategy 2026 (V&S26), with the explicit aspiration for City to become "a leading global university that contributes to the global good of society".
As educators, we recognise that we can play an integral role in attaining the Sustainable Development Goals as set out by the United Nations (UN) by 2030.
Our UN Global Goals for Sustainable Development Report 2020 illustrates how, through local and global engagement, City is aligning its activities to the UN’s Global Goals. The report addresses each of the 17 Goals, featuring case studies that reflect the breadth of work undertaken by our colleagues and students.
Our vision is to become a leading global university and to do that we will embed a global outlook into everything we do at City. The Internationalisation Strategy sets out a clear direction for broader, deeper and more strategic international partnerships and activities to benefit our students and staff and support the growth of our global reputation.