University Research and Enterprise Committee
Terms of Reference
To advise the Vice-President (Research and Enterprise) on the achievement of the City’s strategic aims relating to research and enterprise.
- To oversee the Research and Enterprise Workstream supporting the implementation of City's Strategic Plan 2012-2016, including reviewing business cases for new projects, monitoring of agreed projects relating to workstream deliverables and approval of associated recommendations to the University Executive Committee.
- To advise the Vice-President (Research and Enterprise) on the development and review of institutional policies and procedures in relation to research and enterprise and to monitor their implementation, making recommendations and reporting where required to Senate.
- To consider external developments relating to research and enterprise and to advise the Vice-President (Research and Enterprise) on the appropriate response from City, including any necessary internal developments.
- To keep under review the research and enterprise needs, plans and achievements of Schools and City's Interdisciplinary Centres, with particular regard to measurable aims, management processes and the organisation of research into appropriate groupings, with a view to maximising City’s position in comparative assessments of research and enterprise.
- To oversee the strategic development and operational management of City Research Online to ensure that it meets the needs of Schools and the University effectively, that policies and practices for open access to research publications and research data are developed accordingly and that appropriate resources are provided to realise benefits to City from the dissemination of research.
- To advise the Vice-President (Research and Enterprise) on the allocation of resources needed to support the development of research and enterprise, including funding for institutional doctoral studentships and research fellowships and HEIF funding.
Composition and Membership
Equality and Diversity statement
City, University of London is committed to promoting equality, diversity and inclusion in all its activities, processes, and culture, under its Public Sector Equality Duties and the Equality Act 2010. This includes promoting equality and diversity for all, irrespective of any protected characteristic, working pattern, family circumstance, socio-economic background, political belief or other irrelevant distinction.
Diverse membership of all committees is expected. Wherever possible membership will consist of at least 30% women and 30% men and representation of other protected groups will be actively considered. Where this has not been met committees should be able to demonstrate what action has been taken to achieve this target.
Vice-President (Research and Enterprise) (Chair)
Professor Andrew Jones (Ex-officio)
Associate Deans for Research and Enterprise
Cass Business School
School of Arts and Social Sciences
Dr Miguel Mera (Ex-officio)
School of Health Sciences
Professor Chris Hull (Ex-officio)
School of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences and School of Informatics (new School name awaiting confirmation)
Professor Panicos Kyriacou (Ex-officio)
The City Law School
Dr Tawhida Ahmed (Ex-officio)
Other members of academic staff, appointed for three years renewable
Professor Charles Baden-Fuller (2019/20)
Dr Sally Barlow (2019/20)
|Professor Caroline Wiertz (2019/20)|
Professor Anastasia Nesvetailova (2016/17)
Dr Laudan Nooshin (2019/20)
Professor Nicola Botting (2019/20)
Dr Elaine Fahey (2019/20)
Dr Simone Stumph (2019/20)
|Dean of City Graduate School||Professor Ken Grattan (Ex-offico)|
Chair of Senate Research Ethics Committee
Professor Ron Douglas (Ex-officio)
Director, Research & Enterprise
Dr Karen Shaw (Ex-officio)
Head of International Relations
|Mark Hertlein (Ex-offico)|
|Director, Library Services||Louise Doolan (Ex-officio)|
Office Administrator (Secretary)
Director of Planning and Strategy Unit or nominated representative
Others as required for individual items
- Frequency of meetings - As required, at least 3 per year
- Dates for 2016/17 - 25.10.16, 31.01.17, 23.05.17
If you would like to see records of committee meetings prior to 2015, please visit our archived pages.