Graduate School Committee
Terms of Reference
The Graduate School Committee will act in an advisory capacity to the Dean of the City Graduate School to support him in his role in overseeing and managing the University’s research degree provision, including those aspects delegated to him by Senate. The Dean of Validation will be consulted on relevant business of the Graduate School that impacts on validated research degree provision. The City Graduate School Committee has specific delegated authority from Senate:
(i) to monitor and advise on all aspects of academic quality, standards for research degrees and research degree provision; and
(ii) to make responses on behalf of the University to sector-wide initiatives, consultations and other national and international developments concerning research student activity and provision
Specific areas in which the Graduate School Committee will provide advice and support to the Dean of the City Graduate School include:
1. strategic matters related to research degree provision.
2. the formulation, review and development of the University’s research degree regulations, frameworks, policies and procedures for recommendation to Senate for approval.
3. the promotion, monitoring and review of processes pertaining to the following aspects of research degree provision and recommending actions to be taken for reporting to Senate taking account of disciplinary differences that exist between fields.
(i) The provision of research skills training provision across the University, overseeing the delivery of advanced training provision for research degree students
(ii) Enhancing the research student environment and experience
(iii) Research student progression, completion and completion rates
(iv) Publications and other short- and long-term outputs coming from research student work
(v) Research student employability
(vi) The dissemination of good practices that relate to research students (involving students, staff and processes) across the University, promoting a coherence where appropriate that enhances the effectiveness and visibility of the University as a research-led institution.
4. the review of processes, policies and practices concerning the admission of research students.
5. Outputs from the following processes, including any actions arising:
(i) Research degree external examiner appointments
(ii) Research degree awards
(iii) Research degree Periodic Review Reports and School responses to those reports
(iv) Research degree Annual Programme Evaluations
6. the facilitation of cross-School collaboration and interdisciplinary research activity.
7. recommending procedures and review processes that relate to the giving of scholarships and bursaries and other grants to research students (and their supervisors) that use University money
Composition and Membership
Equality and Diversity statement
City, University of London is committed to promoting equality, diversity and inclusion in all its activities, processes, and culture, under its Public Sector Equality Duties and the Equality Act 2010. This includes promoting equality and diversity for all, irrespective of any protected characteristic, working pattern, family circumstance, socio-economic background, political belief or other irrelevant distinction.
Diverse membership of all committees is expected. Wherever possible membership will consist of at least 30% women and 30% men and representation of other protected groups will be actively considered. Where this has not been met committees should be able to demonstrate what action has been taken to achieve this target.
Dean of City Graduate School (Chair)
Professor Ken Grattan
Associate Deans (Research/Research Students) or equivalent
Arts and Social Sciences
Professor Eugene McLaughlin
Professor Ian Marsh
Professor Vangelis Souitaris
Professor Christine McCourt
Mathematics, Computer Science and Engineering
Dr Youyou Yan
Ms Stephanie Wilson
Dr Mauro Barelli
Professor Jason Chuah
Professor Susannah Quinsee
Dr Pam Parker
|Pro Vice-Chancellor (Research and Enterprise)||Professor John Fothergill||Ex-officio|
|Senate representative||Professor Charles Baden-Fuller||Ex-officio|
|Chair of Senior Tutor for Research Forum||Vacant||Ex-officio|
|CULSU Vice President Education||Issy Cooke||Ex-officio|
Senate research student representative
|Head of Graduate School Office (Secretary)||Dr Naomi Hammond|
Director of Research Office
Director of Enterprise Office
Dr Sue O’Hare
Head of International Office
Library Information Services representative
Information Services representative
- Reporting line – Dean of City Graduate School
- Quorum - 50% of the total actual membership
- Frequency of meetings – at least three times per year
If you would like to see records of committee meetings prior to 2015, please visit our archived pages.