Cycling and green travel
City actively supports cycling and walking as part of its Green Travel Plan, which aims to reduce the environmental impacts of travel generated by City's staff, students and daily activities. Cycling and walking are great ways to get around London. Not only will you reduce your carbon footprint, but you'll save money and get fit at the same time.
Cycling initiatives at City
- Bike parking (for 100 bikes) - temporary bike parking is located at the main Northampton Square site, in the Drysdale garden. Permanent bike parking facilities will be installed in Spring 2018.
- Cycle-to-work scheme - for STAFF only. Cyclescheme is available for staff wishing to obtain bikes and safety equipment for travelling to work. Enrolment is open each February, May, August and November. Contact Human Resources on 020 7040 3085 for further details or visit the staff hub.
- Bike doctor visits - FREE monthly bike maintenance provided by Des, the Bikeologist, for all City student and staff cyclists. No booking required, it's first come, first-served.
- 09.00 - 17.00 at Northampton Square (outside main entrance), unless otherwise stated:
- Tuesday 30 January
- Thursday 22 February
- Friday 23 February
- Tuesday 27 March
- Wednesday 28 March (9am-12pm), Princeton Street
- Wednesday 28 March (1-5pm), Cass
- Wednesday 25 April
- Thursday 26 April
- Wednesday 30 May
- Thursday 31 May
- Tuesday 26 June
- Wednesday 25 July
- Cycle training - Islington Council offers FREE Bikeability cycle training to all adult residents, employees and students based in the borough. The training sessions are normally two-hours long and are delivered 1:1. Training is available at the following levels:
- Level 1 - Control skills (off-road)
- Level 2 - Basic on-road
- Level 3 - Advanced on-road and route planning
- Cycle security - for tips on how to ensure your bike remains safe and secure, please visit the TfL Cycle Safety website or this post by Safe Shop and the National Cycling Charity: Better Safe than Sorry - How to Secure your Bike. View additional guidance .
What can you do?
- Join the City cycling mail list. This way you'll get updated on any cycling-related things happening at City.
- See our Facebook page.
- Why not try one of London's cycle hire bikes? The Santander Cycles are available across London and within easy access to each of City's sites, making it an easy, quick and cheap way to travel. Give them a try!
Showers and changing facilities
Showers and changing facilities can be found at various locations around City. Please enquire with the Reception desk at these buildings for further details:
- University Building (lower ground) - 4 unisex showers*, including 1 disabled shower
- Rhind Building (4th floor, door opposite men's toilets) - 1 unisex shower*
- College Building (lower ground, men's toilet next to ALG19B) - 1 shower
- Tait Building (Lower ground floor, room CXLG13) - 1 unisex shower*
- Tait Building (Ground floor, door adjacent to ladies' toilet opposite CG23) - 1 unisex shower*
- (Staff only) Myddelton Street Building (lower ground, MXLG17) - 1 unisex shower*
*All unisex shower facilities are in self-contained cubicles
City transport-related news
- Towards a better London cycling experience. City, University of London MSc students think up creative proposals for Transport for London's (TfL) Barclays Cycle Hire Scheme (Nov 2013)
- City's giCentre develops cutting-edge bike use visualisation. City shares expertise with Transport for London to analyse London Cycle Hire data. (Sept 2012)