About City
  1. Rector & President
  2. City Information
  3. Education
  4. City & the community
  5. Sustainable City
  6. Working at City
  7. Facts about City
  8. This is City
  9. Global City
  10. Facilities and equipment
  1. What we do
  2. Recycling & waste
About City

Recycling and waste

Find out what City, University of London is doing to encourage more recycling and to reduce the amount of waste we produce.

What is City doing?

City is committed to ensuring that zero waste goes to landfill, as highlighted in its Waste Management Policy and Waste Management Strategy.

Watch our video to find out what really happens to the stuff you put into the recycling bins.

What can you do?

Find new ways to avoid waste in the first place. If you must get rid of something, please recycle it.  Most waste at City can be recycled, including including food and most food packaging. Anything that cannot be recycled is sent off to be converted to energy and not to landfill.

Mixed Recycling (Dry)

Look for the recycling bins across campus. They will all have the dry recycling label on them with further details about what can go in the bins.

You can dispose of all your mixed dry recycling in these bins:

  • Paper and card
  • Plastic bottles
  • Food and drink cans
  • Glass

Please ensure all containers are empty of food and liquids before putting in the recycling bins.

Food waste

Food waste bins can be found in catering outlets and office kitchens.

You can dispose of all your food waste in these bins:

  • Cooked and uncooked food (excluding liquids)
  • Tea and coffee grounds

All other recycling

If you have any items for recycling  not listed below, please contact the Sustainability Team to arrange an alternative collection.

Broken glass

Broken glass should be put into a separate box or wrapped carefully in cardboard or a thick envelope and clearly marked as 'BROKEN GLASS'. Please contact your local facilities team to collect. Do not put broken glass into any of the waste or recycling bins.


Batteries can be disposed of in one of the battery bins located at:

  • University Building (Level 1 main walkway, outside the Refectory)
  • Rhind Building (Ground floor, next to lifts)
  • Myddelton Street Building (Ground floor, reception area)


Clean clothes can be recycled in the clothes collection bin on the walkway. Clothes collected are sent to Traid for reuse.

Computers and any other electrical equipment

Any electrical equipment that has a lead and a plug must be disposed of according to the WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment) directive.

To dispose of computers and laptops, please contact the IT Service Desk at www.city.ac.uk/itservicedesk who will arrange for the item to be collected and data cleansed.

For all other electrical items, please contact your local facilities team for further instructions.

Confidential waste

Large amounts of confidential waste should be disposed of in special 'confidential' bags which can be sealed and collected separately. Contact your local facilities team to arrange.


Furniture should be reused wherever possible. Otherwise, please contact your local facilities team to arrange disposal. Furniture will generally be held in a central place for reuse, or donated to charities.

Printer and toner cartridges

At Northampton Square, all HP toner cartridges purchased through the Computer Shop should be returned to the Computer Shop for recycling.  All other cartridges should be collected in a special bag that can be acquired from domestics@city.ac.uk. These bags will hold around 15-50 cartridges, depending on their sizes.

All other sites should contact their local facilities team on how best to dispose of cartridges.

Writing instruments

City is working in partnership with Terracycle to recycle writing instruments which will go towards raising money for WaterAid. 2 points will be awarded for each item collected.  Each point is worth a 1 penny donation to WaterAid.

Writing instruments (pens, highlighters, markers, correction tape and correction fluid (but NOT pencils)) can be recycled in one of the pen recycling bins located around campus.  Bins can be found in the Students' Union shop, Student Centre, main Library, Drysdale seating area outside Careers Centre, and in the University Building Level 1 main walkway (one next to the Tapwater machine in Tait Building and another outside the student cafeteria).

General waste

General waste bins should only be used as a last resort and should include food-contaminated items, crisp packets, sweet wrappers, disposable coffee cups, paper towels and expanded polystyrene.