Sustainability Leaders (students)
Do you want to make a difference at City and in the local community?
Are you looking for an opportunity to lead on projects and campaigns?
Do you want to develop employment skills that will make you stand out?
Then this opportunity is for you.
Who are Sustainability Leaders?
Sustainability Leaders are students who work together to deliver sustainability projects on campus and in the local community.
Fancy becoming a beekeeper or fighting food waste? Interested in Fairtrade, urban gardening or protecting our oceans?
Show your love and get new skills as a Sustainability Leader. Join one of our sustainability projects and work with other students to make a difference at City and in the local community.
As a group you decide what you want to do. It could be anything, such as:
- Taking part in hive visits and looking after City’s bees
- Starting an enterprise to promote and sell reusable bottles/cups
- Rescuing leftover or unwanted food and delivering it to food banks
- Working with local businesses, schools and organisations to tackle air pollution
- Creating a campaign to fight for fair trade
- Growing fruit, vegetables and herbs in the new City garden
- Organising an event to get students into cycling
- Running the City Food Co-op to provide sustainable food options for students and staff
- Campaigning for City to become single-use plastic free
What does it involve?
No prior knowledge or experience is needed, just enthusiasm and ability to meet at least 1 hour a week. Sustainability Leaders develop their own projects and, with support, training and funding from City's Sustainability team, are responsible for:
- Idea generation
What are the benefits?
- Develop skills in project management, budget management, leadership, communication, time management
- Gain knowledge and insight into the sustainability sector
- Enhance your employability skills and CV
- Network with like-minded individuals and make new connections within and beyond City
- Make a positive, long-lasting impact on City and the local community
When does it take place?
Sign up anytime from October to April.
Who is eligible for this opportunity?
How do I get involved?
For more information or to register your interest, please email the Sustainability Team.