Engineering was part of the foundations of City University London as an education institution in 1894 and remains at the core of the University today.
As a result, we are able to draw on over 100 years of experience in the subject to continue a longstanding tradition of academic excellence in engineering. City’s current engineering departments – Civil Engineering, Electrical & Electronic Engineering and Mechanical Engineering & Aeronautics – boast cutting-edge facilities; dedicated, research-active staff; a culture of collaboration and strong links with industry. City is ideally situated for engineering, surrounded by a host of design companies in Clerkenwell in the heart of a city that is at the forefront of the construction industry. We offer courses at undergraduate, postgraduate, research and foundation levels, and our research has a positive impact on the world we live in.
Since 1894 engineering has been part of the academic fabric of City. City's history
City's courses are accredited by 7 professional bodies in the engineering industry. City's courses
Ranked 10th in the UK for Electronic & Electrical Engineering. Guardian University Guide 2016
City was the 1st UK institution to offer courses in Aeronautical Engineering (1909). City's history
Courses and study
City offers a variety of Engineering-related courses at undergraduate, postgraduate, research and foundation levels. Our engineering degrees span across the engineering subject area, with specialisms including:
- Aeronautical engineering
- Biomedical engineering
- Motorsport engineering
- Civil engineering & architecture
- Computer systems
- Energy engineering
Many of our undergraduate degrees can be taken as four-year integrated Masters courses, resulting in MEng (Hons) certification and acting as a direct route to achieving CEng professional registration.
See which course is right for you:
- BEng (Hons) Aeronautical Engineering
- MEng (Hons) Aeronautical Engineering
- BEng (Hons) Biomedical Engineering
- MEng (Hons) Biomedical Engineering
- MEng (Hons) Civil Engineering
- BEng (Hons) Civil Engineering
- BEng (Hons) Civil Engineering with Architecture
- MEng (Hons) Civil Engineering with Architecture
- BEng (Hons) Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- MEng (Hons) Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- BEng (Hons) Engineering with Management & Entrepreneurship
- MEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering
- BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering
- MSc Air Safety Management
- MSc Air Transport Management
- MSc Aircraft Maintenance Management
- MSc Biomedical Engineering with Healthcare Technology Management
- MSc Civil Engineering Structures
- MSc Civil Engineering Structures (Nuclear Power Plants)
- MSc Construction Management
- MSc Energy and Environmental Technology and Economics
- MSc Maritime Operations and Management in Greece
- MSc Mechanical Engineering
- MSc Project Management, Finance and Risk
- MSc Renewable Energy and Power Systems Management
- MSc Software Engineering
- PhD / MPhil Research Degrees within the Department of Civil Engineering
- PhD / MPhil Research Degrees within the Department of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- PhD / MPhil Research Degrees within the Department of Mechanical Engineering & Aeronautics
- Civil Engineering Foundation Programme
- Electrical & Electronic Engineering, Biomedical Engineering and Engineering with Management & Entrepreneurship Foundation Programmes
- Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering Foundation Programmes
Homa is a student ambassador who was also awarded the Salters Institute Scholarship
Industry recognised experts helped Claire to grow her career and network.
A degree from City University London helped open doors for Paul.
When visiting City after having received an offer, I immediately felt welcome. The atmosphere was very warm and friendly.
Abdullah chose City for the vibrant London location.
"City's academic staff are experienced professionals. Experts in their field delivering quality lectures."
City's multidisciplinary approach to research is based around an integration of applied research, research in generic technologies and fundamental research. Key areas of applied research are energy, environment, transportation, construction, engineering systems management, biomedical processes and cyber and physical security systems. These are supported by research into the generic technologies of optical instrumentation, sensors and communications. Fundamental research in complex systems, control theory and computational fluid dynamics underpins these activities.
- Centre for Compressor Technology
- Research Centre for Biomedical Engineering
- Research Centre for Civil Engineering Structures
- Research Centre for Fluid Dynamics
- Research Centre for Multi-scale Geotechnical Engineering
- Research Centre for Photonics and Instrumentation
- Research Centre for Systems and Control
News, events and recent research
We're situated in an enviable central London location, on the doorstep of the design hub of the UK (Clerkenwell) and close to some of the country's largest engineering projects (e.g. Crossrail).
The map below describes our location in relation to just a handful of the engineering-related businesses in London and the surrounding area. Select a marker for more information.