Student loans and grants
Tuition Fee Loans 2017/18
All first degree UK and EU students, including part-time students (from September 2012) can take out a tuition fee loan through the Student Loans Company to cover the full cost of university tuition fees as shown in the table below:
|Course Type||Maximum Tuition Fee Loan Amount|
|Full-time undergraduate courses||up to £9,250|
|Foundation courses||up to £9,250|
Maintenance Loans 2017/18
UK Home students can apply for maintenance loans to assist with living costs including accommodation, food, books and travel from the Student Loans Company. Loans are paid in three equal instalments at the start of each term. Up to 65% of the maintenance loan is non-means tested, the remaining 35% is means-tested. The table below shows the maximum loan amounts:
|Where you stay during term-time||Maximum Loan Amount|
|Living in parents' home||£7,097|
|Living away from home, studying in London||£11,002|
Use the student finance calculator to estimate your Maintenance Loan rate.
The maintenance loan is paid in three instalments at the start of each term. At the start of each academic year unless students have applied for the full tuition fee loan, students must pay 50% of the tuition fees before they can be enrolled. Once students are enrolled their enrolment will automatically be sent to the Student Loan Company who will pay any maintenance loan instalment due.
How to apply
Repayment for tuition fee and maintenance loans begins from the April after your graduation when your income is above:
- £15,795 for students who started their course before September 2012, for further information including monthly repayment amounts please see Gov.uk.
- £21,000 for students who start their course from September 2012, for further information including monthly repayment amounts please see Gov.uk.
If your course started on/after the 1st September 2012, the interest rate will be 3% plus inflation (RPI) during study and up to 3% plus inflation after graduation. Part-time students may enter repayment before graduation if earning above £21,000 three years after starting their course.
Funding for part-time students
Part-time students will be charged a pro rata version of the full-time 2017/18 fees; between 25% study intensity and 75% intensity. New part-time students starting from September 2012 or beyond will be able to apply for a tuition fee loan to cover part or all of these fees from the Student Loans Company.
For information about repayments of these loans, please visit the Student loans page. The only difference for part-time students is that repayment can begin from the April, 3 years after the start of the course once you are earning above the threshold of £21,000 rather than strictly after graduation.
Part-time students are expected to cover their living expenses and course cost themselves.
Apply for your tuition fee loan online via the Student Loans Company.
Contact the Student Loans Company on 0845 607 7577 or Student Finance England on 0845 300 5090.
Other loan options - Future Finance
Future Finance offers students loans of between £2,500 and £40,000 to help cover tuition fees and living expenses. All students and courses are considered. All loans are subject to credit checks and approval for further details please visit the Future Finance website.