The City Undergraduate Care Leavers Bursary (2017/18 entry)
The City Undergraduate Care Leavers Bursary is for Home/UK undergraduates ordinarily resident in England who has experience of being in local authority care.
Students should be either:
- New Home/UK undergraduates starting in 2017/18 who can demonstrate that they live or have lived in care for a minimum of 13 weeks since they were 14 years old and on their 16th birthday.
- New Home/ UK undergraduates starting in 2017/18 who can demonstrate that they have spent some time in care, and are irreconcilably estranged from their parents (as assessed by Student Finance England).
Students must also be:
- Ordinarily resident in England.
- Residual household income equal to or less than £42,611 a year or less as assessed by Student Finance England (SFE) by 31st October 2017.
- Aged 25 years old or younger on the 1 September 2017.
Up to £2,500 per year for a maximum of three years subject to satisfactory academic progress. This bursary will be paid in addition to any funding received through City, University of London Scholarship Programme or Lord Mayor of London Scholarship for Academic Excellence.
How to apply
There is no application form for this bursary. Eligible candidates will be awarded from the data received from UCAS and on recommendation from the City Outreach Office, Financial Support Team or Designated Member of Staff for care leavers. When applying for student finance through Student Finance England (SFE) please give your consent to share your financial information with City. When your offer to City becomes Unconditional (i.e. after you receive your results), you will be contacted asking for evidence of your care leaver/ estrangement status. You will then automatically be considered for a bursary (provided you meet the eligibility criteria listed above).
For more information about the Widening Participation and Outreach Team and the work they do, email firstname.lastname@example.org or read about the range of available support on our Care Leaver Support page or our Young Estranged Students page.
Notification and payment
The number of bursaries available may be limited and we cannot guarantee that every student who meets the eligibility criteria will receive a bursary. Successful undergraduates will be contacted during January 2018. Payments will be made in two equal instalments in January and April each year.