President Jan: From the City Sentinels to you; Welcome to City, University of London! And make sure you get involved in sport at City! If you’re wondering which sport to get involved in then look no further than the greatest and most upcoming sport of all, American Football, with the most exciting and largest sports club at City; City Sentinels!
I'm a 1st year moving on to 2nd year student studying for a BSc Economics degree and was selected as the Club President for the 2016/17 season.
The City Sentinels founded in 2012, completed an associate season before joining the BUCS “OysterCard” Division at the start of the 2013/14 season. Head Coach Adam Lillis in conjunction with co-ordinators and positional coaches, spent the first few weeks teaching the basics of the game to the Sentinels. Very quickly the coaches turned a collection of students into a team of football players!
The 2015/16 season has been one of the best seasons for the City Sentinels so far. We managed to finish the season having won 7 games and only lost 1. Although we didn't manage to secure our place in the play-offs, we feel as though we improved from our previous season and look to keep improving! The City Sentinels now have a platform from which they can further develop into an even greater force in the BUCS division.
So why not join the 50+ rookies that have joined the City Sentinels over the past two years?
You may be thinking:
- "American Football isn’t for me."
- "It’s too rough."
- "I’ve never tried it."
- "It’s full of Americans."
But you’d be wrong, and here’s why:
- American Football is for everyone, whether you are a man or woman, want to play or assist the team in any way, we’ll find a place for you.
- American Football is a contact sport and you can get injured, just like in any other sport. However, you are protected as much as possible through the right protective equipment and proper coaching on how to play safe.
- More than 90% of all City Sentinels had NEVER played the sport before coming to City. The coaches start from the bottom and install the basics to ensure everyone is on the same playing field!
- The City Sentinels have had players from at least 30 different nationalities and welcome people of all backgrounds to join the team!
One of the main advantages of American football at City over other sports, lies in our unique identity, the Sentinels! I’m proud to be a Sentinel and I hope you give us a chance by emailing email@example.com
Leagues we play in
Our mixed gender team competes in the BUCS London 2A league and matches take place on weekends.
- Most Improved Club of the Year 2016.