We expect our staff and students to seek to maintain the highest achievable standards in their research conduct. Support and guidance in achieving research integrity are provided through several routes:
- City, University of London Framework for Good Practice in Research
- Research Ethics Framework
- Research Governance through City's Research Committee which is responsible for the strategic direction and oversight of research and development of City research policies
- Local School Research and Research Ethics Committees
- Other City policies and guidance that relate to research, including in particular those on Intellectual Property, Data Protection and Information Compliance.
City, University of London Framework for Good Practice in Research
A joint request from the Research Councils requires all institutions in receipt of funds to have an appropriate policy and related procedures in place for sound scientific conduct in research, including an appropriate procedure for investigating allegations of misconduct. City complies with this requirement through its Framework for Good Practice in Research.
The Framework applies to all staff and students who are engaged in or support research activity and is intended to assist City in achieving its strategic goal to support high quality research.
City's Research Ethics Committees are concerned with all aspects of the ethics of research investigations involving human participants and animal subjects carried out in the institution or under the auspices of the institution, by its Schools, staff or students.
The Research Ethics Committees provide assistance to academic staff, associated professional staff and students through the provision of compliance and policy advice and approval of research protocols containing ethical implications. City operates a framework of delegated authority, with some local committees in Schools or Departments, all reporting to the Senate Research Ethics Committee.
Support and advice on obtaining research ethics approval is provided through the City's Research Office.