Dr Zhengzhong Sun
- Dr Zhengzhong Sun
- +44 (0)20 7040 8411
Dr Sun joined City in January 2015 as Lecturer in Aeronautics. His research activities are in the area of experimental aerodynamics. His current research is on the Unsteadiness of Transitional Boundary Layer Separation using Tomographic PIV and Infrared Thermography. His other research interests include:
- Flow control
- Unsteady aerodynamics
- Wind tunnel experiment
- PIV technology
Prior to the present position, he carried out the postdoctoral research in the University of Minnesota since October 2013. His work was mainly in the NSF project of Multi-Scale 3D Observation System for Predator-Prey Interaction.
Dr Sun obtained his PhD degree in the Delft University of Technology in the Netherlands, his PhD research was on the micro ramp vortex generator for supersonic boundary layer control. During his PhD period, he also did a short term visiting research in the University of Texas at Arlington.
Students with strong motivations in Experimental Aerodynamics are welcomed to joined the Experimental Aerodynamics Group in the City University London.
Scholars with PhD degrees are also welcomed to carry out postdoctoral researches. We are happy to host highly motivated scholars!
Please feel free to send out your inquiry to Zhengzhong.Sun@City.ac.uk
You are also welcome to visit the website of our group: https://sites.google.com/site/cityuniversitylondonaero
PhD, Delft University of Technology, the Netherlands, Oct 2009 - Sep 2012
MEng, Northwestern Polytechnical University, China, Sep 2007 - Aug 2009
BEng, Northwestern Polytechnical University, China, Sep 2003 - Jul 2007
Postdoctoral Associate, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, Oct 2013 - Dec 2014
Visiting Scholar, University of Texas at Arlington, Feb 2012 - May 2012
Descriptions of the active research activities can be found in our website:
- Sun, Z. and Bruecker, C. (2016). PIV Study of Flow Separations at a Forward-Facing Step
using Long-Range Microscope. 2016 Applied Aerodynamics Conference 19-21 July, Bristol, UK.
- Coelho, L., Placidi, M., Atkin, C. and Sun, Z. (2016). Experimental Investigation of a Handley Page Triple Slotted Aerofoil. 2016 Applied Aerodynamics Conference 19-21 July, Bristol, UK.
- Sun, Z., Bruecker, C. and Pointz, B. (2016). Transition of A Vortex Ring Visualized by 3D Scanning TomoPIV. 18th International Symposium on Applications of Laser Techniques to Fluid Mechanics 4-7 July, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Sun, Z., Longmire, E.K. and Krizan, D. (2014). Interactions of copepods with fractal-grid generated turbulence based on Tomo-PIV and 3D-PTV. 67th Annual Meeting of the APS Division of Fluid Dynamics 23-25 November, San Francisco.
- Sun, Z., Schrijer, F.F.J., van Oudheusden, B.W. and Scarano, F. (2013). Decay Of the turbulent wake from the supersonic micro ramp. 8th international symposium on turbulence and shear flow phenomena 28-30 August, Poitiers, France.
- Sun, Z., Schrijer, F.F.J., Scarano, F. and van Oudheusden, B.W. PIV investigation of the 3D instantaneous flow organization behind a micro-ramp in a supersonic boundary layer. 28th International Symposium on Shock Waves Manchester.
- Zhang, Y., Sun, Z., van Zuijlen, A. and van Bussel, G. (2017). Numerical simulation of transitional flow on a wind turbine airfoil with RANS-based transition model. Journal of Turbulence, 18(9), pp. 879–898. doi:10.1080/14685248.2017.1334908.
- Zhang, Z., Wu, Y., Sun, Z., Song, H., Jia, M., Zong, H. and Li, Y. (2017). Experimental research on multichannel discharge circuit and multi-electrode plasma synthetic jet actuator. Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 50(16), pp. 165205–165205. doi:10.1088/1361-6463/aa6372.
- Sun, Z. and Brücker, C. (2017). Investigation of the vortex ring transition using scanning Tomo-PIV. Experiments in Fluids, 58(4) . doi:10.1007/s00348-017-2322-1.
- Zhang, Z., Wu, Y., Jia, M., Song, H., Sun, Z., Zong, H. and Li, Y. (2017). The multichannel discharge plasma synthetic jet actuator. Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, 253, pp. 112–117. doi:10.1016/j.sna.2016.11.011.
- Sun, Z. (2015). Micro Vortex Generators for Boundary Layer Control: Principles and Applications. International Journal of Flow Control, 7(1-2), pp. 67–86. doi:10.1260/1756-8250.7.1-2.67.
- Sun, Z., Scarano, F., van Oudheusden, B.W., Schrijer, F.F.J., Yan, Y. and Liu, C. (2014). Numerical and Experimental Investigations of the Supersonic Microramp Wake. AIAA Journal, 52(7), pp. 1518–1527. doi:10.2514/1.J052649.
- Wang, X., Yan, Y., Sun, Z. and Liu, C. (2014). The Vortical Structures in the Rear Separation and Wake Produced by a Supersonic Micro-Ramp. Flow, Turbulence and Combustion, 93(1), pp. 25–36. doi:10.1007/s10494-014-9531-y.
- Wang, X., Yan, Y., Sun, Z. and Liu, C. (2014). LES investigation into the generation of momentum deficits in the supersonic wake of a micro-ramp. Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, 28(4), pp. 1327–1337. doi:10.1007/s12206-013-1164-x.
- Sun, Z., Schrijer, F.F.J., Scarano, F. and van Oudheusden, B.W. (2014). Decay of the supersonic turbulent wakes from micro-ramps. Physics of Fluids, 26(2), pp. 025115–025115. doi:10.1063/1.4866012.
- Sun, Z., Schrijer, F.F.J., Scarano, F. and van Oudheusden, B.W. (2012). The three-dimensional flow organization past a micro-ramp in a supersonic boundary layer. Physics of Fluids, 24(5), pp. 055105–055105. doi:10.1063/1.4711372.
Delft University of Technology
Thesis: Micro ramps for supersonic boundary layer control - an experimental and numerical study
Advisor: Prof. Dr. Fulvio Scarano
Northwestern Polytechnical University
Northwestern Polytechnical University