Professor Steve Schifferes
Professor Schifferes, Director of the Financial Journalism MA at City, has a wide-ranging background in business and finance journalism, both for television and online.
Professor Schifferes was economics correspondent for BBC News Online, co-ordinating coverage of the credit crunch, the Asian financial crisis, the Enron scandal, and the launch of the euro. He reported from the USA during the sub-prime crisis, the Iraq war and the Obama election and from Bangalore, Shanghai and Detroit on globalisation and its discontents.
Previously he was a television producer for programmes including On the Record and the Money Programme (BBC) and Weekend World (LWT) as well as a documentary film maker (Breadline Britain, Fortune, and The Making of Modern London for LWT).
Professor Schifferes has lectured around the world on the role of the media in the financial crisis, including Tsinghua and Fudan Universities (China); Mumbai University (India); Columbia and North Carolina (USA); Helsinki (Finland) and Cologne (Germany).
He has also done training and consultancy for the International Labour Organisation in Turin, for BBC News, and for the Oxford Internet Institute summer school at Harvard.
Professor Schifferes was a BBC Reuters Fellow at Oxford University in 2006, and a Knight-Bagehot Fellow at Columbia School of Journalism in 1993-4. He was educated at Harvard and Warwick Universities, where he was a National Merit Scholar and a National Science Foundation Fellow.
Grants and awards
- European Union, FP7, Integrating Project Award, ITC7, "Social Sensor: developing tools for integrating multi-media social search", 9.6m Euros over three years for 10 institutions; City Award (jointly between Journalism and School of Informatics, Dr Ayse Goker): 934,000 Euros.
- City University London, pump priming grant, £10000, November 2010, for "Online coverage of the financial crisis"
- British Academy, conference grant, £7500, for "Soothsayers of Doom: the media and financial crises in historical and comparative perspective, City University, December 2011
- City University, learning development grant, £3000, for "Developing new ways of teaching numeracy to journalism students", 2011
- The role and development of online business journalism
- The history of financial journalism
- The public understanding of the financial crisis.
He currently holds three major research grants, from the British Academy, City University London and the EU Integrated Project FP7 research fund. In the latter project, funded at 10m Euros, he is leading the Department of Journalism team, working jointly with City's School of Informatics, in developing new tools for use by journalists in sampling and analysing social media, with ten partner institutions across Europe.
- Thurman, N., Schifferes, S., Fletcher, R., Newman, N., Hunt, S. and Schapals, A.K. (23 Feb 2016). Giving Computers a Nose for News. Digital Journalism, 1-11. doi: 10.1080/21670811.2016.1149436
- Thurman, N.J., Schifferes, S., Newman, N., Corney, D., Goker, A. and Martin, C. (2014). Identifying and verifying news through social media: Developing a user-centred tool for professional journalists. Digital Journalism.
- Schifferes, S. and Coulter, S. (01 Feb 2013). Downloading disaster: BBC news online coverage of the global financial crisis. Journalism, 14(2), 228-252. doi: 10.1177/1464884912460171
- Thurman, N.J. and Schifferes, S. (27 Mar 2012). The Future of Personalisation at News Websites: Lessons from a Longitudinal Study. Journalism Studies. doi: 10.1080/1461670X.2012.664341
- Schifferes, S.A., Ward, S. and Lusodi, W. (2009). What's The Story: Online News Consumption in the 2005 General Election. Northern Lights, 7(1), 51-72.
- Schifferes, S.A. (1994). Trade Wars: The Next Round. Reuters Forum Journal, 2(2), 8-12.
- Schifferes, S.A. and Roberts, R. (2015). The Media and Financial Crises: Comparative and Historical Perspectives. London: Routledge.
- Schifferes, S.A. (2006). Downloading Democracy: Election News on the Internet. Oxford: Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism.
- Schifferes, S.A., Thurman, N., Fletcher, R., Hunt, S. and Schapals, A. (2016). Giving computers a nose for news: exploring the limits of story detection and verification. (Ed.), The Future of Journalism London: Routledge.
- Schifferes, S.A. (2015). Why the public doesn't trust the financial press. (Ed.), The Media and Financial Crises: Comparative and Historical Perspectives (pp. 153-168) London: Routledge.
- Schifferes, S.A. and Knowles, A. (2015). The British Media and the 'first crisis of globalisation'. (Ed.), The Media and Financial Crises: Comparative and Historical Perspectives (pp. 42-58) London: Routledge.
- Schifferes, S.A., Thurman, , Newman, N., Goker, A., Corney, D. and Martin, C. (2015). Identifying and verifying news through social media: developing a user-centred tool for professional journalists. Franklin, B. (Ed.), The Future of Journalism in an age of Digital Media and economic uncertainty Routlege.
- Thurman, N. and Schifferes, S.A. (2012). The Paradox of Personalization: The Social and Reflexive Turn of Adaptive News. Siapera, E. and Veglis, A. (Ed.), The Handbook of Global Online Journalism London: Wiley-Blackwell..
- Schifferes, S.A. (2011). It's the Economy, Stupid. Gunn, S. (Ed.), So You Want to be a Political Journalist London: Biteback.
- Schifferes, S.A. (2011). The Financial Crisis and the UK Media. Schiffrin, A. (Ed.), Bad News: How America's Business Press Missed the Story of the Century New York: New Press.
- Schifferes, S.A. (2010). How the BBC Called the Crisis. Frenken, R. (Ed.), Covering the Crisis: The Role of the Media in the Financial Crisis Brussels: European Journalism Centrre.
- Schifferes, S.A. (1986). The Dilemma of British Housing Policy. Bratt, R., Hartman, C. and Meyerson, A. (Ed.), Critical Perspectives on Housing Philadelphia: Temple University Press.
- Schifferes, S.A. Saints or Sinners: The role of the media in the financial crisis. Nov 2009, Department of Journalism, City University London and the BBC College of Journalism, London.
- Schifferes, S.A. Downloading Democracy: the audience for online election news. Internet 2.0 conference, 01 Apr 2007, Royal Holloway University, Egham Surrey.
- Schifferes, S.A. and Knowles, S. The UK Media and Austerity: A Longitudinal Study. IAMCR, 27 Jul 2016, Leicester, UK.
- Schifferes, S.A. The Future of Financial Journalism After the Crisis. Business Journalism Day, Business As Usual: Wirtschaftjournalismus zwischen den Krisen, 30 Mar 2011, Koln Journalism School for Politics and Business, Koln, Germany.
- Schifferes, S.A., Hunt, S., Thurman, , Newman, N., Fletcher, R. and Corney, D. Auto-detection of news on Twitter;Tuning and Testing the Social Senor app. 11th Dubrovnik Media Days conference on Artificial Intelligence, Robots and the Medfia, 30 Oct 2015, Dubrovnik Croatia.
- Schifferes, S.A. and Knowles, S. Trust in Financial Media. IAMCR, 27 Jul 2016, Leicester, UK.
- Schifferes, S.A., Fletcher, R. and Thurman, N. Evaluating the Truthmeter: improving automated social media contributor credibility. 11th Dubrovnik Media Days conference on Artificial Intelligence, Robots and the Meidia, 30 Oct 2015, Dubrovnik, Croatia.
- Schifferes, S.A. The UK Media and the Financial Crisis. Facing the Fracture: The Crisis and Economic Journalism, 07 Apr 2010, Roosevelt Institute and the School of Internationaland Public Affairs, Columbia University, New York.
- Schifferes, S.A. and Moeller, S. Mergers and Acquisitions Journalism Panel. Mergers and Acquistions: Journalism Panel, 11 May 2016, Cass Business School London.
- Schifferes, S.A. and Ward, S. The UK General Election and the Web: Audiences for Online News. Oxford Internet Institute, Politics and the Internet seminar series, Feb 2006, Oxford.
- Schifferes, S.A., Basu, and Knowles, S. Beyond the Crisis: The Media and Austerity. Beyond the Crisis: The Media and Austerity, 10 May 2016, City Universityi London.
- Thurman, N. and Schifferes, S.A. The Future of Personalisation at News Websites: Lessons from a longitudinal study. paper presented to the Future of Journalism Conference, 08 Sep 2011, Cardiff University, Wales.
- Thurman, N.J. and Schifferes, S. Risks and opportunities in automated newsgathering: First findings from the frontline. 66th ICA Annual Conference, 09 Jun 2016, Fukuoka, Japan.
- Schifferes, S.A. Talking Ourselves Into Recession?. 01 Sep 2008, Policy Exchange.
- Thurman, N.J. and Schifferes, S. Inside the black box of algorithmic news detection: Plus ça change?. 66th ICA Annual Conference, 09 Jun 2016, Fukuoka, Japan.
- Schifferes, S.A. How the BBC Covered the Financial Crisis. Covering the Crisis, 18 Oct 2009, European Journalism Centre, Brussels.
- Thurman, N.J. Artificial intelligence, social media, and newsgathering. Communicating with Machines: The Rising Power of Digital Interlocutors in Our Lives, 14 Jun 2016, Fukuoka, Japan.
- Schifferes, S.A. Bankers are Winning the Battle. The Future of the City of London conference, 14 Feb 2011, City University London.
- Thurman, N.J. Evaluating the Truthmeter: Improving automated social media contributor credibility assessments within the context of journalism. 11th Dubrovnik Media Days Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Robots and Media, 30 Oct 2015, University of Dubrovnik, Croatia.
- Schifferes, S.A. Soothsayers of Doom: The Media and Financial Crises in Historical and Comparative Perspective. 12 Dec 2011, City University London, co-sponsored with the British Academy and the Centre for Contemporary British History, Kings College London.
- Thurman, N.J. Auto-detection of news on Twitter: Tuning and testing the SocialSensor app. 11th Dubrovnik Media Days Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Robots and Media, 30 Oct 2015, University of Dubrovnik, Croatia.
- Schifferes, S.A. Downloading Democracy. European Political Science Association conference on social movements and the internet,, 08 Oct 2007, Florence Italy.
- Thurman, N.J., Schifferes, S., Fletcher, R., Hunt, S., Schapals, K. and Newman, N. Giving computers a nose for news: Exploring the limits of story detection and verification. Future of Journalism 2015, 10 Sep 2015, Cardiff University, Cardiff.
- Schifferes, S.A. The Media and Financial Crisis: Some Lessons from the BBC. panel discussion at the journalism section of the International Communications Association annual conference, 23 Jun 2010, Singapore.
- Schifferes, S.A. Immigration Backlash: Labor Migration in Crisis. 10 Apr 2002, The Reuters Forum, Columbia University, New York.
- Schifferes, S.A. The credibility of the financial press: a comparative analysis of public attitudes. IAMCR annual conference,, 21 Jul 2012, Durban, South Africa.
- Funding Research in an Age of Austerity, Oct 2008, Research Into Ageing Annual Grant Holders conference, Birmingham.
- Covering the financial crisis: US vs UK, 14 Apr 2009, School of Journalism and Mass Communications, Chapel Hill, North Carolina.
- The evolution of the global financial crisis, 06 Dec 2010, School of communications, University of Helsinki.
- Causes of the Crisis, Nov 2010, London School of Economics. organised by Polis (Charlie Beckett) and LSE, London
- the media and the financial crisis, 25 Jan 2011, Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism. (organised by John Lloyd), Oxford
- China lecture series: \"Covering the Global Financial Crisis: Dilemmas for Journalists\", May 2010, China. • Fudan University, Shanghai, 24 May • Financial Media Institute, Shanghai, 27 May • Renmin University, Beijing 1 June • Communications University of China, Beijing, 3 June • Tsinghua University, Beijing, 4 June
- India and the Global Financial Crisis, Jul 2011, Mumbai University. July-August 2011 • Sophia College for Women • KC College of Arts • HR College of Commerce and Economics • Lala Lajpatrai College of Commerce and Economics • UPG College of Management • RD National College of Arts and Commerce • SVKM Harkisan Mehta Foundation Institute of Journalism and Mass Communications • St Xavier's College • Jal Hind College
- The Future of Financial Journalism in An Age of Austerity, 08 Feb 2011, City University London. Inaugural Lecture
- Consultancy and training: International Labor Organisation, Globalisation and Labour Rights, training seminar and consultancy, ILO-ITC, Turin Italy, Aug 2007-2009.
- Consultancy and training: Donald Reynolds Center for Business Journalism, Arizona State University Walter Cronkite School of Journalism, Business professors seminar, Phoenix, Arizona, January 2010
- Consultancy and training: BBC News, improving the coverage of business news: improvements to the College of Journalism website (ongoing)
- Consultancy and training: BBC News, training days on the comprehensive spending review for regional journalists, October-December 2010