Dr Sara Jones
Sara is currently a Senior Lecturer with interests in creativity and the design of interactive systems and recent contributions in Human-Centric Systems (HCS), Software and Systems Engineering (SSE) and Information Analysis and Visualisation (IAV). She is an active and founder member of the Interdisciplinary Centre for Creativity in Professional Practice and programme director for the innovative Masters in Innovation, Creativity and Leadership (the MICL). Current activities include the EU FP7 funded MIRROR project as well as working with the Digital Shoreditch festival and Arcola theatre. Recent work includes a project on visualising the smart home: creative engagement with customer data that was funded by the E.ON International Research Initiative, an investigation of information spaces for creative conversations, for JISC, and the Creative Stickies project. She has also recently worked on exploring the use of new technologies in museums and art galleries and investigating networked devices for collaborative creativity, as well as the APOSDLE, VANTAGE, SeCSE, NATS-EASM and RESCUE-DMAN projects. As part of this work, she acted as process manager for RESCUE, a multi-disciplinary requirements process, involving the use of creative design workshops, for use in the development of complex socio-technical systems, such as those used in the domain of air traffic management. She has been working in the fields of human-computer interaction and requirements engineering since 1987, and has published nearly 100 academic papers in conferences and journals in these areas. Sara has taught a wide range of different courses in related areas, and has supervised five PhDs to completion. She currently teaches about tools and technologies for creativity and innovation for both the Masters in Human-Centred Systems and the Masters in Innovation, Creativity and Leadership.
PhD 3-Dimensional Interactive Connection Diagrams for Knowledge Engineering, City University London, 1993
MSc Information Processing, The University of York,1986
BA (Hons) Psychology and Philosophy (PPP), Oxford University, 1985
2011 - to date City University London, Senior Lecturer
2006 - 2011 City University London, RCUK Research Fellow
2002 - 2006 City University London, Research Assistant
2001 - 2002 City University London, Visiting Lecturer
1999 - 2001 University of Hertfordshire, Principal Lecturer
1998 - 1999 European Joint Research Centre, Stagiaire - Researcher
1996 - 1998 University of Hertfordshire, Senior Lecturer
1993 - 1996 University of Hertfordshire, Research Fellow
1992 - 1993 City University London, Research Fellow
1990 - 1992 City University London, Research Assistant
1986 - 1987 University College London, User Services Programmer
- Computer-based tools and technologies that can enhance creative processes
- Arcola Local
- Visualising the Smart Home: Creative engagement with customer data
- Investigation of information spaces for collaborative creativity
- Creative Stickies
- New technologies in museums and art galleries
- Networked devices for collaborative creativity
- Pitts, K., Pudney, K., Zachos, K., Maiden, N., Krogstie, B., Jones, S., Rose, M., MacManus, J. and Turner, I. (24 Mar 2015). Using mobile devices and apps to support reflective learning about older people with dementia. Behaviour and Information Technology. doi: 10.1080/0144929X.2015.1015165
- Sustar, H., Jones, S. and Dearden, A. (12 Jul 2013). Older people as equal partners in creative design. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), 7946 LNCS, 649-656. doi: 10.1007/978-3-642-39062-3_45
- Goodwin, S., Dykes, J.A., Jones, S., Dillingham, I., Dove, G., Duffy, A., Kachkaev, A., Slingsby, A. and Wood, J. (2013). Creative User-Centered Visualization Design for Energy Analysts and Modelers. .
- Maiden, N., D'Souza, S., Jones, S., Müller, L., Pannese, L., Pitts, K., Prilla, M., Pudney, K., Rose, M., Turner, I. and Zachos, K. (01 Nov 2013). Computing technologies for reflective, creative care of people with dementia. Communications of the ACM, 56(11), 60-67. doi: 10.1145/2500495
- Zachos, K., Maiden, N., Pitts, K., Jones, S., Turner, I., Rose, M., Pudney, K. and MacManus, J. (2013). Digital Creativity in Dementia Care Support. International Journal of Creative Computing, 1(1), 35-56. doi: 10.1504/IJCRC.2013.056924
- Jones, S., Rakocevic, V., Williams, M. and Atanasova, E. (01 Dec 2011). Use of a multi-touch surface to support distributed design meetings as part of a problem-based learning approach to teaching design. DS 69: Proceedings of E and PDE 2011, the 13th International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education, 696-700.
- Karlsen, K., Zachos, K., Maiden, N., Jones, S., Turner, I., Rose, M. and Pudney, K. (31 Oct 2011). Supporting reflection and creative thinking by carers of older people with dementia. 2011 5th International Conference on Pervasive Computing Technologies for Healthcare and Workshops, PervasiveHealth 2011, 526-529. doi: 10.4108/icst.pervasivehealth.2011.246124
- Maiden, N., Jones, S., Karlsen, K., Neill, R., Zachos, K. and Milne, A. (27 Dec 2010). Requirements engineering as creative problem solving: A research agenda for idea finding. Proceedings of the 2010 18th IEEE International Requirements Engineering Conference, RE2010, 57-66. doi: 10.1109/RE.2010.16
- Maiden, N. and Jones, S. (May 2010). Agile Requirements Can We Have Our Cake and Eat It Too?. IEEE Software, 27(3), 87-88. doi: 10.1109/MS.2010.67
- Jones, S., Maiden, N.A.M., Manning, S. and Greenwood, J. (2007). Informing the specification of a large-scale socio-technical system with models of human activity. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), 4542 LNCS, 175-189.
- Maiden, N., Lockerbie, J., Randall, D., Jones, S. and Bush, D. (2007). Using satisfaction arguments to enhance i* modelling of an air traffic management system. Proceedings - 15th IEEE International Requirements Engineering Conference, RE 2007, 49-52. doi: 10.1109/RE.2007.66
- Norden, B. and Jones, S.V. (2007). Screenwriting for Requirements Engineers. IEEE Software, 24(4).
- Zachos, K., Maiden, N., Zhu, X. and Jones, S. (2006). Does service discovery enhance requirements specification? A preliminary empirical investigation. 2nd International Workshop on Service-Oriented Computing: Consequences for Engineering Requirements, SOCCER'06. doi: 10.1109/SOCCER.2006.3
- Maiden, N., Manning, S., Jones, S. and Greenwood, J. (2005). Generating Requirements from Systems Models using Patterns: A Case Study. Requirements Engineering Journal, 10(4), 276-288.
- Barker, T., Jones, S., Britton, C. and Messer, D. (2002). The Use of a Co-operative Student Model of Learner Characteristics to Configure a Multimedia Application.. User Model. User-Adapt. Interact., 12, 207-241. doi: 10.1023/A:1015002325839
- Jones, S., Wilikens, M., Morris, P. and Masera, M. (2000). Trust requirements in e-business.. Commun. ACM, 43, 81-87. doi: 10.1145/355112.355128
- Britton, C. and Jones, S.V. (1999). The untrained eye: how languages for software specification support understanding in untrained users. Human Computer Interaction, 14(1&2).
- Jones, S., Till, D. and Wrightson, A.M. (1998). Formal methods and requirements engineering: Challenges and synergies.. Journal of Systems and Software, 40, 263-273. doi: 10.1016/S0164-1212(97)00171-4
- Jones, S.V. and Hewitt, J. (1998). Heuristic evaluation of web site usability: Experiences from two case studies. HCI Letters, 1(1).
- Britton, C., Jones, S., Myers, M. and Sharif, M. (1997). A survey of current practice in the development of multimedia systems.. Information & Software Technology, 39, 695-705. doi: 10.1016/S0950-5849(97)00031-1
- Jones, S.V. and Johnson, C. (1996). Human computer interaction and requirements engineering - papers from an interdisciplinary workshop, 15th January, 1996. SIGCHI Bulletin, 29(1).
- Bearne, M., Jones, S., Hewitt, J. and Sapsford-Francis, J. (1996). Providing public access to information in complex and weakly structured domains: A 3-layered model for hypermedia information systems.. The New Review of Hypermedia and Multimedia, 2, 69-87. doi: 10.1080/13614569608914675
- Bearne, M., Jones, S.V., Hewitt, J. and Sapsford-Francis, J. (1996). Providing public access to information in complex and weakly structured domains: A 3-layered model for hypermedia information systems. The New Review of Hypermedia and Multimedia: Applications and Research, 2.
- McCluskey, T.L., Naik, Y., Porteous, J.M., Taylor, C.N. and Jones, S.V. (1995). A requirements capture method and its use in an air traffic control application. Software Practice and Experience, 25(1).
- Bolton, D., Jones, S.V., Till, D., Furber, D. and Green, S. (1992). Knowledge-based support for requirements engineering. International Journal of Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering, 2(2), 293-319.
- BOLTON, D., JONES, S., TILL, D., FURBER, D. and GREEN, S. (Jun 1992). KNOWLEDGE-BASED SUPPORT FOR REQUIREMENTS ENGINEERING. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF SOFTWARE ENGINEERING AND KNOWLEDGE ENGINEERING, 2(2), 293-319. doi: 10.1142/S0218194092000154
- Jones, S.V. (1988). Graphical interfaces for knowledge engineering: An overview of relevant literature. Knowledge Engineering Review, 3(3).
- de Rooij, A., Corr, P.J. and Jones, S.V. (2015). Emotion and Creativity: Hacking into Cognitive Appraisal Processes to Augment Creative Ideation. (Ed.), C&C '15 Proceedings of the 2015 ACM SIGCHI Conference on Creativity and Cognition (pp. 265-274) New York: ACM. doi: 10.1145/2757226.2757227
- Maiden, N., Jones, S.V., Ncube, C. and Lockerbie, J. (2011). Using i* in Requirements Projects: Some Experiences and Lessons. Yu, E., Giorgini, P. and Maiden, N. (Ed.), Social Modeling for Requirements Engineering (pp. ) MIT Press. ISBN: 0262240556.
- Jones, S.V. and Maiden, N. (28 Feb 2005). RESCUE: An Integrated Method for Specifying Requirements for Complex Socio-Technical Systems. Maté, J.L. and Silva, A. (Ed.), Requirements Engineering For Sociotechnical Systems (pp. ) Idea Group Inc. ISBN: 1591405068.
- Bolton, D., Green, S., Jones, S.V. and Till, D. (1995). Techniques and tools for knowledge-based requirements engineering. Hurley, W.D. (Ed.), Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering World Scientific Publishing Company. ISBN: 9810219113.
- Bolton, D., Jones, S.V., Till, D., Furber, D. and Green, S. (1994). Using domain knowledge in requirements capture and formal specification construction. Jirotka, M. and Goguen, J. (Ed.), Requirements engineering (pp. ) Academic Press.
- De Rooij, A. and Jones, S. (01 Jan 2015). (E)motion and creativity: Hacking the function of motor expressions in emotion regulation to augment creativity. , doi: 10.1145/2677199.2680552
- Dove, G. and Jones, S. (01 Jan 2014). Using data to stimulate creative thinking in the design of new products and services. , doi: 10.1145/2598510.2598564
- de Rooij, A. and Jones, S.V. (2013). Mood and creativity: an appraisal tendency perspective. 9th ACM Conference on Creativity & Cognition, 17 Jun 2013, Sydney, Australia. doi: 10.1145/2466627.2466658
- De Rooij, A. and Jones, S. (2013). Motor expressions as creativity support: Exploring the potential for physical interaction. ,
- Zachos, K., Maiden, N., Pitts, K., Jones, S., Turner, I., Rose, M., Pudney, K. and MacManus, J. (2013). A software app to support creativity in dementia care. 9th ACM Conference on Creativity & Cognition, 17 Jun 2013, Sydney, Australia. doi: 10.1145/2466627.2466637
- Zachos, K., Maiden, N., Pitts, K., Jones, S.V., Turner, I., Rose, M., Pudney, K. and MacManus, J. (2013). A software app to support creativity in dementia care. 9th ACM Conference on Creativity & Cognition, 17 Jun 2013, Sydney. doi: 10.1145/2466627.2466637
- Zachos, K., Maiden, N., Karlsen, K., Jones, S., Turner, I. and Rose, M. (2011). Introducing Creativity Techniques and Software Apps to the Care of People with Dementia. 8th ACM Conference on Creativity and Cognition, 03 Nov 2011, Atlanta, USA. doi: 10.1145/2069618.2069718
- Jones, S.V., Poulsen, A., Maiden, N. and Zachos, K. (2011). User roles in asynchronous distributed collaborative idea generation. 8th ACM conference on Creativity and cognition, 03 Nov 2011, Atlanta, Georgia, USA. doi: 10.1145/2069618.2069690
- Jones, S., Lynch, P., Maiden, N. and Lindstaedt, S. (2008). Use and Influence of Creative Ideas and Requirements for a Work-Integrated Learning System. , doi: 10.1109/RE.2008.54
- Maiden, N.A.M. and Jones, S. (2008). Provoking creative design: making it scale.. , doi: 10.1145/1531826.1531898
- Jones, S.V., Maiden, N.A.M., Manning, S. and Greenwood, J. (2007). Informing the Specification of a Large-Scale Socio-Technical System with Models of Human Activity. 13th International Working Conference, REFSQ 2007, Jun 2007, Trondheim, Norway.
- Zachos, K., Maiden, N.A.M., Zhu, X. and Jones, S. (2007). Discovering Web Services to Specify More Complete System Requirements.. , doi: 10.1007/978-3-540-72988-4_11
- Dourdas, N., Zhu, X., Maiden, N.A.M., Jones, S. and Zachos, K. (2006). Discovering Remote Software Services that Satisfy Requirements: Patterns for Query Reformulation.. , doi: 10.1007/11767138_17
- Maiden, N.A.M., Jones, S.V., Manning, S., Greenwood, J. and Renou, L. (01 Dec 2004). Model-driven requirements engineering: synchronising models in an air traffic management case study. ,
- Maiden, N., Jones, S., Flynn, M., SOCIETY, I.C. and SOCIETY, I.C. (2003). Integrating RE methods to support use case based requirements specification. ,
- Britton, C., Jones, S., Kutar, M., Loomes, M. and Robinson, B. (2000). Evaluating the Intelligibility of Diagrammatic Languages Used in the Specification of Software.. ,
- Al-Hunaiyyan, A., Hewitt, J., Jones, S.V. and Messer, D. (1998). The impact of multimedia tutorial on students’ learning experience in Kuwait higher education. World Conference on Educational Multimedia and Hypermedia & World Conference on Educational Telecommunications, 20 Jun 1998, Freiburg, Germany.
- Lam, L., Shankararaman, V., Jones, S.V., Hewitt, J. and Britton, C. (1998). Change Analysis and Management: A Process Model and its Application within a Commercial Setting. Proceedings of ASSET-98, ,
- Britton, C. and Jones, S.V. (1998). Use of project characterisation in selecting notations for modelling requirements. ECBS98, ,
- Lam, W., Jones, S.V. and Vickers, A. (1998). Towards the mechanisation of requirements engineering: The reuse of application and task domain knowledge. ECBS98, ,
- Jones, S.V. and Sapsford, J. (1998). The role of informal representations in early design. Design, Specification and Verification of Interactive Systems ‘98, 03 Jun 1998, Abingdon.
- Loomes, M. and Jones, S. (1998). Requirements Engineering: A Perspective Through Theory-Building.. , doi: 10.1109/ICRE.1998.667814
- Lam, W., Jones, S. and Britton, C. (1998). Technology Transfer for Reuse: A Management Model and Process Improvement Framework.. , doi: 10.1109/ICRE.1998.667831
- Lam, W. and Jones, S. (1997). Mechanising Requirements Engineering: Reuse and the Application of Domain Analysis Technology.. ,
- Al-Hunaiyyan, A., Hewitt, J., Jones, S.V. and Messer, D. (1997). Assessment of the use of computer assisted learning (CAL) and multimedia in Kuwaiti higher education. Proceedings of the International Conference on Computers in Education, ,
- Bearne, M., Jones, S. and Sapsford-Francis, J. (1994). Towards Usability Guidelines for Multimedia Systems.. , doi: 10.1145/192593.192631
- Jones, S.V. (1994). "3-dimensional modelling in knowledge engineering”, in What are Graphical User Interfaces Good For?. One day colloquium organised by IEE professional group C5 on 27th January, 27 Jan 1994,
- Jones, S. (1993). 3-D Diagrams for Knowledge Engineering: An Early Estimation of Utility.. ,
- Jarke, M., Pohl, K., Jacobs, S., Bubenko, J., Assenova, P., Holm, P., Wangler, P., Rolland, C., Plihon, V., Schmitt, J., Sutcliffe, A.G., Jones, S., Maiden, N., Till, D., Vassilou, Y., Constantopoulos, P. and Spanoudakis, G. (1993). Requirements Engineering: an Integrated View of Representation, Process and Domain. 4th European Software Engineering Conference, 13 Sep 1993, Garmesh-Partenkirchen.
- Bolton, D., Jones, S.V., Till, D., Furber, D. and Green, S. (1992). "A generic modelling approach to requirements capture in the domain of air traffic control”, in Software in Air Traffic Control Systems - The Future. One day colloquium organised by IEE professional groups C1 and E15, 22 Jun 1992,
- Furber, D., Green, S., Bolton, D., Till, D. and Jones, S.V. (1992). Formal requirements models from domain knowledge. “Formal requirements models from domain knowledge”, in Software Engineering and AI, 10 Apr 1992,
- Jones, S.V., Maiden, N.A.M. and Karlsen, K. Creativity in the Specification of Large-Scale Socio-Technical Systems. Conference on Creative Inventions, Innovations and Everyday Designs in HCI, 13 Jun 2007, London.
- Zachos, K., Maiden, N.A.M., Zhu, X. and Jones, S.V. Does Service Discovery Enhance Requirements Specification? A Preliminary Investigation. SOCCER'2006 Workshop at RE'06 Conference, Sep 2006, Minnesota, USA.
- Jones, S.V. A graphical representation for Communicating Sequential Processes. FAHCI Workshop, Sep 1998, Sheffield Hallam University.
- Ley, T., Kump, B., Lindstaedt, S.N., Albert, D., Maiden, N.A.M. and Jones, S.V. Competence and Performance in Requirements Engineering: Bringing Learning to the Workplace. 2nd Workshop on Learner-Oriented Knowledge Management & KM-Oriented E-Learning (LOKMOL 2006), 2006,
- Dove, G. and Jones, S. Using Information Visualization to Support Creativity in Service Design Workshops. ServDes. 2014, 09 Apr 2014, Lancaster, UK.
- Maiden, N.A.M. and Jones, S.V. Creativity in the Design of Complex Systems. Workshop on Complexity in Design and Engineering, Mar 2005, Glasgow.
- Barker, T., Jones, S.V., Britton, C. and Messer, D. Report of a pilot study of an individually configurable multimedia learning prototype based on a co-operative student model of learner characteristics. 21 Sep 1999, Bristol.
- Jones, S.V. and Lindstaedt, S. A Multi-Activity Distributed Participatory Design Process for Stimulating Creativity in the Specification of requirements for a Work-Integrated Learning System. Workshop on Distributed Participatory Design, held in association with CHI 2008, 2008,
- Lam, W. and Jones, S.V. The case for reuse-centred approaches to requirements engineering. Third International Workshop on Requirements Engineering: Foundation for Software Quality, 1997,
- Schlosser, C., Jones, S.V. and Maiden, N.A.M. Using a Creativity Workshop to Generate Requirements for an Event Database Application. International Working Conference on Requirements Engineering: Foundations for Software Quality, Jun 2008, Montpelier, France.
- Maiden, N., Jones, S.V. and Flynn, M. Innovative Requirements Engineering Applied to ATM. ATM 2003, 23 Jun 2003, Budapest.
- Maiden, N. and Jones, S.V. Dependability in RESCUE: A Concurrent Engineering Approach to the Specification of Requirements for Air Traffic Management. Workshop on Interdisciplinary Approaches, Distributed Systems and Networks, 2004,
- Al-Hunaiyyan, A., Hewitt, S., Jones, S.V. and Messer, D. Multimedia interface design in relation to a learner’s culture. Proceedings of ED-MEDIA 99, 19 Jun 1999, Seattle.
- Al Ashaikh, R., Wilson, S.M. and Jones, S. Exploring Awareness Behaviours and Collaboration Activities in Learning Groups. 28th International BCS HCI Conference, 09 Sep 2014, Southport, UK.
- Barker, T., Jones, S.V., Britton, C. and Messer, D. Individual cognitive style and performance in a multimedia learning application. Euro Education 2000 Conference, 08 Feb 2000, Aalborg, Denmark.
- Sustar, H., Jones, S.V. and Maiden, N. Creativity in Older People Designing Digital Devices. Proceedings CREATE’11 Symposium, 23 Jun 2011, London.
- Dove, G. and Jones, S.V. Narrative visualization: sharing insights into complex data. IADIS HCI Conference, 2012, Lisbon.
- Zachos, K., Maiden, N., Karlsen, K., Jones, S.V., Turner, I., Rose, M., Pudney, K. and MacManus, J. Introducing creativity techniques and software apps to the care of people with dementia. 8th ACM conference on Creativity and cognition, 2011, doi: 10.1145/2069618.2069718
- Zachos, K., Zhu, X., Maiden, N. and Jones, S.V. Seamlessly Integrating Service Discovery into UML Requirements Processes. International Workshop on Service Oriented Software Engineering (IW-SOSE’06), 27 May 2008, Shanghai, China.
- Nusa, , Ahmed, and Jones, S.V. UNDERSTANDING THE COMMUNICATION CONTEXT OF SUCCESFULL HIGH-TECH NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT. Ninth International Symposium on Tools and Methods of Competitive Engineering (TMCE2012), 2012,
- Jones, S.V., Maiden, N.A.M., Zachos, K. and Zhu, X. How Service-Centric Systems Change the Requirements Process. 11th Workshop on Requirements Engineering: Foundation for Software Quality: REFSQ2005, 2005,
- Dove, G. and Jones, S.V. Evaluating Creativity Support in Co-Design Workshops. Evaluation Methods for Creativity Support Environments, workshop at CHI2013, ,
- Veneziano, V., Jones, S.V. and Britton, C. Adding a systemic view to the requirements engineering processes. Tenth International Workshop on Database and Expert Systems Applications (DEXA 99), 01 Sep 1999, Florence, Italy.
- Jacob, L. and Jones, S.V. Formal dialogue specification for hypertext and multimedia systems. East-West International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, 02 Aug 1994, St. Petersburg, Russia.
- Veneziano, V., Jones, S.V., Britton, C. and De Matthaeis, P. Supporting reasoning and comprehension of e-contracts. Proceedings of the Third International Cognitive Technology Conference (CT '99), 11 Aug 1999, San Francisco.
- Jones, S.V. and Britton, C. Early elicitation and definition of requirements for an interactive multimedia information system. Second International Conference on Requirements Engineering, 15 Apr 1996, Colorado Springs, USA.
- Barker, T., Jones, S.V., Britton, C. and Messer, D. Investigation into the effect of language on performance in a multimedia food studies application. INTERACT'99, the Seventh IFIP Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, 30 Aug 1999, Edinburgh.
- Jones, S.V. and Britton, C. Using multimedia case study material for teaching requirements engineering. 4th Annual Conference on the Teaching of Computing, Aug 2006,
- Barker, T., Jones, S.V. and Britton, C. The use of the Verbaliser-Imager cognitive style as a descriptor in a student model of learner characteristics in a multimedia application. 5th Annual Conference of the European Learning Styles Information Network, (ELSIN), 26 Jun 2000, University of Hertfordshire.
- Barker, T., Jones, S.V., Britton, C. and Messer, D. The creation of task-based differentiated learning materials for students with learning difficulties and/or disabilitie. International Conference on Computer-Assisted Learning, 1997, University of Exeter.
- Britton, C., Lam, W. and Jones, S.V. Separating the system interface from its internal state: an alternative structure for Z specifications. FAHCI Workshop, Sep 1998, Sheffield Hallam University.
- Jones, S.V. and Wells, T. Iterative development of web-based teaching materials using existing paper-based resources. International Conference on Computer-Assisted Learning, 1997, University of Exeter.
- Bardill, A., Griffiths, W., Jones, S.V. and Fields, B. Design Tribes and Information Spaces for Creative Conversations. International conference on engineering and product design education, 02 Sep 2010, Trondheim, Norway.
- Zhu, X., Maiden, N.A.M., Jones, S.V. and Zachos, K. Applying Patterns in Service Discovery. 13th International Requirements Engineering Conference, 29 Aug 2005, Paris, France.
- Britton, C. and Jones, S.V. Which properties make a modelling notation easy for untrained users to understand?. International Workshop on Representations, Jul 1997, London.
- Dove, G., Jones, S.V., Dykes, J., Brown, A. and Duffy, A. Using data visualization in creativity workshops: a new tool in the designer's kit. 9th ACM Conference on Creativity & Cognition, 17 Jun 2013, Sydney, Australia. doi: 10.1145/2466627.2466665
- Jones, S.V. and Sapsford-Francis, J. The role of graphical representations in early design and requirements specification. Workshop on Software Engineering and Human-Computer Interaction: Joint Research Issues, 16 May 1994, Sorrento, Italy.
- Barker, T., Jones, S.V., Britton, C. and Messer, D. The evaluation of Horizon multimedia learning materials for students with learning difficulties and disabilities. ALT-C97 Conference, Sep 1997, Wolverhampton University.
- Myers, M., Britton, S., Jones, S.V. and Sharif, M. An investigation into the measurement of notations used in software modelling. Proceedings of The Eighth European Software Control and Metrics Conference, May 1997, Berlin.
- Jones, S.V. Graphics for knowledge engineering: The use of 3-dimensional interactive connection diagrams for knowledge engineering. People and Computer Interaction System Student Workshop, 1989, Open University.
- Jones, S.V., Maiden, N., Manning, S. and Greenwood, J. Human Activity Modelling in the Specification of Operational Requirements: Work in Progress. 26th International Conference on Software Engineering, 2004,
- Dove, G. and Jones, S. Evaluating Creativity Support in Co-Design Workshops. CHI 2013 Workshop: Evaluation Methods for Creativity Support Environments, 27 Apr 2013, Paris.
- Maiden, N., Manning, S., Jones, S.V. and Greenwood, J. Pattern-Based Generation of Requirements from System Models. 10th Workshop on Requirements Engineering: Foundation for Software Quality: REFSQ2004, 2004,
- Maiden, N., D'Souza, S., Jones, S., Muller, L., Panesse, L., Pitts, K., Prilla, M., Pudney, K., Rose, M., Turner, I. and Zachos, K. Computing Technologies for Reflective and Creative Care for People with Dementia. ,
- Sustar, H., Jones, S.V. and Zaphiris, P. Older People as Equal Partners in Designing a Digital Device for Seniors. CREATE 2009, 01 Jul 2009,
- Karlsen, K., Zachos, K., Maiden, N., Jones, S.V., Turner, I., Rose, M. and Putney, K. Supporting Reflection and Creative Thinking by Carers of Older People with Dementia. International Workshop on Pervasive Care for People with Dementia and their Carers (PCPDC-2011), 23 May 2011, Dublin.
- Dove, G. and Jones, S. Narrative Visualization: Sharing Insights into Complex Data. Interfaces and Human Computer Interaction (IHCI 2012), 21 Jul 2012, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Jones, S.V. and Clulow, S. (02 Aug 2012). How to foster a culture of collaboration between universities and industry
- Jones, S.V. (22 Jun 2012). Creating a culture of collaboration in universities