Dr Sara Jones
I am currently a Senior Lecturer in the Faculty of Management at Cass Business School. I am a founding member of the Centre for Creativity in Professional Practice, and Course Director for the interdisciplinary Masters in Innovation Creativity and Leadership. From 2011 – 2015 I was a Senior Lecturer in the Centre for Human-Computer Interaction Design at City University, and from 2006 - 2011, I held an RCUK Research Fellowship in creativity applied to design and engineering, with a particular focus on the design of interactive systems.
My current interests include the use of new and emerging technologies to support creative processes, as well as the application of creative requirements and design techniques in both small and large-scale software and service development projects. I have been a principal/co-investigator on 10 AHRC-, JISC- EU- and bilaterally funded research projects worth nearly £10million, nearly £1million of which has come to City. I have published more than 100 peer-reviewed papers in academic journals and conference proceedings, supervised 9 PhD students, taught a wide range of different courses at undergraduate and postgraduate level, and consulted for a number of major organisations.
1993 PhD, Computer Science, 1993, City University London
1986 MSc Information Processing, 1986, University of York
1985 BA Hons, Psychology and Philosophy, 1985, Oxford University
2015 - now Cass Business School, Faculty of Management, Senior Lecturer
2011 - 2015 City University London, Centre HCI Design, Senior Lecturer
2006 - 2011 City University London, Centre HCI Design, RCUK Research Fellow
2002 – 2006 City University London, Centre HCI Design, Research Assistant
2001 - 2002 City University London, Centre HCI Design, Visiting Lecturer
1999 - 2001 University of Hertfordshire, Computer Science, Principal Lecturer
1998 - 1999 European Joint Research Centre, Stagiaire – Researcher
1996 - 1998 University of Hertfordshire, Computer Science, Senior Lecturer
1993 - 1996 University of Hertfordshire, Computer Science, Research Fellow
1992 - 1993 City University London, Computer Science, Research Fellow
1990 - 1992 City University London, Computer Science, Research Assistant
Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), member since 2013
Funded Business and Applied Research Contracts
OnSola: Principal investigator, funded by InnovateUK to work with Stickyworld on delivering online support for the soft landings process, assisting the construction industry and its clients deliver better buildings; total funding £146,275, value to City University London £10,000, 2015.
DSTLR: Principal investigator, funded by InnovateUK to work with the Meme Partnership on facilitating creative search; value to City University London £4,165, 2015.
Neighbourhood Stickers: Principal investigator, funded by the Nominet Trust to work with Stickyworld on exploring digital ways to engage young people in planning; value to City University London £9,000, 2014.
Digital Shoreditch Deep Insight – understanding for growth: Principal investigator, funded by AHRC, via Creativeworks London to work with Digital Shoreditch on developing links between the Digital Shoreditch Festival and the local Tech City community, total funding £14,991, value to City University London £9,991, 2013.
Arcola Local: Co-investigator, funded by AHRC, via Creativeworks London to work with Arcola Theatre on developing digital approaches to engagement with the local community, total funding £15,000, value to City University London £10,000, 2013.
Converging Conversations: Principal investigator, funded by InnovateUK to work with Stickyworld on developing a communications tool to support concept development at the earliest stages of creative projects; total funding £53,352, value to City University London £9,500, 2013.
Following the remit of my RCUK fellowship (2006 – 2011), and, building on that, the establishment of the interdisciplinary Centre for Creativity in Professional Practice at City (2008), my research has frequently incorporated work with colleagues from other disciplines including product design, electrical and electronic engineering, and psychology.
MIRROR - Reflective Learning at Work: Co-investigator, with Prof Neil Maiden, Centre for Human-Computer Interaction Design, City University London, EU Framework VII Integrated Project, total funding € 6,450,000, value to City University London € 529,932, 2010 – 2014
Information Spaces for Collaborative Creativity: Principal investigator, JISC-funded project with Middlesex University Interaction Design Centre and Product Design Department, total funding £199,983, value to City University London £64,600, 2008 - 2010
Information Technology and its Use in the Context of Museums and Art Galleries: Co-investigator, with Dr Juliet Steyn, Department of Cultural Policy and Management, LCACE-funded workshop, City University London, £5,000, 2009
Networking Devices to Support a Process of Collaborative Creativity: Co-investigator, with Dr Veselin Rakocevic, Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, City University London internal pump-priming fund, City University London, £5,000, 2009
- Tracey Booth
- Thesis title
- Mental Models and Learning Barriers for End-User Developers in Physical Prototyping
- Reem Al Asheikh
- Thesis title
- Investigating Collaboration and Awareness in Long-term Collaborative Learning
- Alwin de Rooij
- Thesis title
- Hacking into the Emotion-Creativity Link: Two new approaches to interactive systems that influence the relationship between emotion and creativity
- Graham Dove
- Thesis title
- CoDesign with Data
- Helena Sustar
- Thesis title
- Older People as Equal Partners in the Creative Design of Digital Devices
- Maria Kutar
- Thesis title
- The Specification of Time-Critical Components of Interactive Systems
- Ahmed Al-Hunaiyyan
- Thesis title
- The Impact of Multimedia on Students’ Learning Experience in Kuwaiti Higher Education
- Carol Britton
- Thesis title
- Intelligible Specifications for Interactive Software Systems
- Trevor Barker
- Thesis title
- The Use of a Student Model in a Multimedia Application to Configure Learning
- Pitts, K., Pudney, K., Zachos, K., Maiden, N., Krogstie, B., Jones, S., Rose, M., MacManus, J. and Turner, I. (24 Mar 2015). Using mobile devices and apps to support reflective learning about older people with dementia. Behaviour and Information Technology, 34(6), 613-631. doi: 10.1080/0144929X.2015.1015165
- Goodwin, S., Dykes, J.A., Jones, S., Dillingham, I., Dove, G., Duffy, A., Kachkaev, A., Slingsby, A. and Wood, J. (2013). Creative User-Centered Visualization Design for Energy Analysts and Modelers. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, 19(12), 2516-2525. doi: 10.1109/TVCG.2013.145
- Maiden, N., D'Souza, S., Jones, S., Müller, L., Pannese, L., Pitts, K., Prilla, M., Pudney, K., Rose, M., Turner, I. and Zachos, K. (01 Nov 2013). Computing technologies for reflective, creative care of people with dementia. Communications of the ACM, 56(11), 60-67. doi: 10.1145/2500495
- Zachos, K., Maiden, N., Pitts, K., Jones, S., Turner, I., Rose, M., Pudney, K. and MacManus, J. (2013). Digital creativity in dementia care support. International Journal of Creative Computing, 1(1), 35-35. doi: 10.1504/IJCRC.2013.056924
- Maiden, N. and Jones, S. (01 May 2010). Agile Requirements Can We Have Our Cake and Eat It Too?. IEEE Software, 27(3), 87-88. doi: 10.1109/MS.2010.67
- Jones, S., Maiden, N.A.M., Manning, S. and Greenwood, J. (01 Dec 2007). Informing the specification of a large-scale socio-technical system with models of human activity. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), 4542 LNCS, 175-189.
- Norden, B. and Jones, S.V. (2007). Screenwriting for Requirements Engineers. IEEE Software, 24(4).
- Maiden, N., Manning, S., Jones, S. and Greenwood, J. (2005). Generating Requirements from Systems Models using Patterns: A Case Study. Requirements Engineering Journal, 10(4), 276-288.
- Barker, T., Jones, S., Britton, C. and Messer, D. (2002). The Use of a Co-operative Student Model of Learner Characteristics to Configure a Multimedia Application.. User Model. User-Adapt. Interact., 12, 207-241. doi: 10.1023/A:1015002325839
- Jones, S., Wilikens, M., Morris, P. and Masera, M. (2000). Trust requirements in e-business.. Commun. ACM, 43, 81-87. doi: 10.1145/355112.355128
- Britton, C. and Jones, S.V. (1999). The untrained eye: how languages for software specification support understanding in untrained users. Human Computer Interaction, 14(1&2).
- Jones, S.V. and Hewitt, J. (1998). Heuristic evaluation of web site usability: Experiences from two case studies. HCI Letters, 1(1).
- Jones, S., Till, D. and Wrightson, A.M. (1998). Formal methods and requirements engineering: Challenges and synergies.. Journal of Systems and Software, 40, 263-273. doi: 10.1016/S0164-1212(97)00171-4
- Britton, C., Jones, S., Myers, M. and Sharif, M. (1997). A survey of current practice in the development of multimedia systems.. Information & Software Technology, 39, 695-705. doi: 10.1016/S0950-5849(97)00031-1
- Bearne, M., Jones, S., Hewitt, J. and Sapsford-Francis, J. (1996). Providing public access to information in complex and weakly structured domains: A 3-layered model for hypermedia information systems.. The New Review of Hypermedia and Multimedia, 2, 69-87. doi: 10.1080/13614569608914675
- Bearne, M., Jones, S.V., Hewitt, J. and Sapsford-Francis, J. (1996). Providing public access to information in complex and weakly structured domains: A 3-layered model for hypermedia information systems. The New Review of Hypermedia and Multimedia: Applications and Research, 2.
- Jones, S.V. and Johnson, C. (1996). Human computer interaction and requirements engineering - papers from an interdisciplinary workshop, 15th January, 1996. SIGCHI Bulletin, 29(1).
- McCluskey, T.L., Naik, Y., Porteous, J.M., Taylor, C.N. and Jones, S.V. (1995). A requirements capture method and its use in an air traffic control application. Software Practice and Experience, 25(1).
- Bolton, D., Jones, S.V., Till, D., Furber, D. and Green, S. (1992). Knowledge-based support for requirements engineering. International Journal of Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering, 2(2), 293-319.
- BOLTON, D., JONES, S., TILL, D., FURBER, D. and GREEN, S. (Jun 1992). KNOWLEDGE-BASED SUPPORT FOR REQUIREMENTS ENGINEERING. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF SOFTWARE ENGINEERING AND KNOWLEDGE ENGINEERING, 2(2), 293-319. doi: 10.1142/S0218194092000154
- Jones, S.V. (1988). Graphical interfaces for knowledge engineering: An overview of relevant literature. Knowledge Engineering Review, 3(3).
- Maiden, N., Jones, S.V., Ncube, C. and Lockerbie, J. (2011). Using i* in Requirements Projects: Some Experiences and Lessons. Yu, E., Giorgini, P. and Maiden, N. (Ed.), Social Modeling for Requirements Engineering (pp. ) MIT Press. ISBN: 0262240556.
- Jones, S.V. and Maiden, N. (28 Feb 2005). RESCUE: An Integrated Method for Specifying Requirements for Complex Socio-Technical Systems. Maté, J.L. and Silva, A. (Ed.), Requirements Engineering For Sociotechnical Systems (pp. ) Idea Group Inc. ISBN: 1591405068.
- Bolton, D., Green, S., Jones, S.V. and Till, D. (1995). Techniques and tools for knowledge-based requirements engineering. Hurley, W.D. (Ed.), Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering World Scientific Publishing Company. ISBN: 9810219113.
- Bolton, D., Jones, S.V., Till, D., Furber, D. and Green, S. (1994). Using domain knowledge in requirements capture and formal specification construction. Jirotka, M. and Goguen, J. (Ed.), Requirements engineering (pp. ) Academic Press.
- Booth, T., Stumpf, S., Bird, J. and Jones, S. (01 Jan 2015). Crossed Wires: Investigating the Problems of End-User Developers in a Physical Computing Task. 34th Annual CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI4GOOD), 07 May 2016, San Jose, CA. doi: 10.1145/2858036.2858533
- De Rooij, A. and Jones, S. (01 Jan 2015). (E)motion and creativity: Hacking the function of motor expressions in emotion regulation to augment creativity. , doi: 10.1145/2677199.2680552
- De Rooij, A., Corr, P.J. and Jones, S. (22 Jun 2015). Emotion and creativity: Hacking into cognitive appraisal processes to augment creative ideation. , doi: 10.1145/2757226.2757227
- Dove, G. and Jones, S. (01 Jan 2014). Using data to stimulate creative thinking in the design of new products and services. , doi: 10.1145/2598510.2598564
- Dove, G. and Jones, S. (30 Jun 2014). Using Information Visualization to Support Creativity in Service Design Workshops. ServDes. 2014, 09 Apr 2014, Lancaster, UK.
- Ashaikh, R.A., Wilson, S. and Jones, S. (01 Jan 2014). Exploring awareness behaviours and collaboration activities in learning groups. ,
- Dove, G., Jones, S.V., Dykes, J., Brown, A. and Duffy, A. (30 Jun 2013). Using data visualization in creativity workshops: a new tool in the designer's kit. 9th ACM Conference on Creativity & Cognition, 17 Jun 2013, Sydney, Australia. doi: 10.1145/2466627.2466665
- Dove, G. and Jones, S. (27 Apr 2013). Evaluating Creativity Support in Co-Design Workshops. CHI 2013 Workshop: Evaluation Methods for Creativity Support Environments, 27 Apr 2013, Paris.
- Zachos, K., Maiden, N., Pitts, K., Jones, S., Turner, I., Rose, M., Pudney, K. and MacManus, J. (2013). A software app to support creativity in dementia care. 9th ACM Conference on Creativity & Cognition, 17 Jun 2013, Sydney, Australia. doi: 10.1145/2466627.2466637
- De Rooij, A. and Jones, S. (01 Jan 2013). Motor expressions as creativity support: Exploring the potential for physical interaction. ,
- de Rooij, A. and Jones, S.V. (2013). Mood and creativity: an appraisal tendency perspective. 9th ACM Conference on Creativity & Cognition, 17 Jun 2013, Sydney, Australia. doi: 10.1145/2466627.2466658
- Sustar, H., Jones, S. and Dearden, A. (12 Jul 2013). Older people as equal partners in creative design. , doi: 10.1007/978-3-642-39062-3_45
- Dove, G. and Jones, S. (21 Jul 2012). Narrative Visualization: Sharing Insights into Complex Data. Interfaces and Human Computer Interaction (IHCI 2012), 21 Jul 2012, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Karlsen, K., Zachos, K., Maiden, N., Jones, S., Turner, I., Rose, M. and Pudney, K. (31 Oct 2011). Supporting reflection and creative thinking by carers of older people with dementia. , doi: 10.4108/icst.pervasivehealth.2011.246124
- Jones, S., Rakocevic, V., Williams, M. and Atanasova, E. (01 Dec 2011). Use of a multi-touch surface to support distributed design meetings as part of a problem-based learning approach to teaching design. ,
- Zachos, K., Maiden, N., Karlsen, K., Jones, S., Turner, I. and Rose, M. (2011). Introducing Creativity Techniques and Software Apps to the Care of People with Dementia. 8th ACM Conference on Creativity and Cognition, 03 Nov 2011, Atlanta, USA. doi: 10.1145/2069618.2069718
- Jones, S.V., Poulsen, A., Maiden, N. and Zachos, K. (2011). User roles in asynchronous distributed collaborative idea generation. 8th ACM conference on Creativity and cognition, 03 Nov 2011, Atlanta, Georgia, USA. doi: 10.1145/2069618.2069690
- Maiden, N., Jones, S., Karlsen, K., Neill, R., Zachos, K. and Milne, A. (27 Dec 2010). Requirements engineering as creative problem solving: A research agenda for idea finding. , doi: 10.1109/RE.2010.16
- Sustar, H., Jones, S.V. and Zaphiris, P. (01 Jul 2009). Older People as Equal Partners in Designing a Digital Device for Seniors. CREATE 2009, 01 Jul 2009,
- Maiden, N.A.M. and Jones, S. (2008). Provoking creative design: making it scale.. , doi: 10.1145/1531826.1531898
- Schlosser, C., Jones, S.V. and Maiden, N.A.M. (30 Jun 2008). Using a Creativity Workshop to Generate Requirements for an Event Database Application. International Working Conference on Requirements Engineering: Foundations for Software Quality, Jun 2008, Montpelier, France.
- Jones, S., Lynch, P., Maiden, N. and Lindstaedt, S. (2008). Use and Influence of Creative Ideas and Requirements for a Work-Integrated Learning System. , doi: 10.1109/RE.2008.54
- Zachos, K., Maiden, N.A.M., Zhu, X. and Jones, S. (2007). Discovering Web Services to Specify More Complete System Requirements.. , doi: 10.1007/978-3-540-72988-4_11
- Maiden, N., Lockerbie, J., Randall, D., Jones, S. and Bush, D. (01 Dec 2007). Using satisfaction arguments to enhance i* modelling of an air traffic management system. , doi: 10.1109/RE.2007.66
- Dourdas, N., Zhu, X., Maiden, N.A.M., Jones, S. and Zachos, K. (2006). Discovering Remote Software Services that Satisfy Requirements: Patterns for Query Reformulation.. , doi: 10.1007/11767138_17
- Zachos, K., Maiden, N., Zhu, X. and Jones, S. (01 Dec 2006). Does service discovery enhance requirements specification? A preliminary empirical investigation. , doi: 10.1109/SOCCER.2006.3
- Maiden, N.A.M., Jones, S.V., Manning, S., Greenwood, J. and Renou, L. (01 Dec 2004). Model-driven requirements engineering: synchronising models in an air traffic management case study. ,
- Maiden, N., Jones, S.V. and Flynn, M. (28 Feb 2003). Innovative Requirements Engineering Applied to ATM. ATM 2003, 23 Jun 2003, Budapest.
- Maiden, N., Jones, S., Flynn, M., SOCIETY, I.C. and SOCIETY, I.C. (2003). Integrating RE methods to support use case based requirements specification. ,
- Britton, C., Jones, S., Kutar, M., Loomes, M. and Robinson, B. (2000). Evaluating the Intelligibility of Diagrammatic Languages Used in the Specification of Software.. ,
- Veneziano, V., Jones, S.V. and Britton, C. (01 Sep 1999). Adding a systemic view to the requirements engineering processes. Tenth International Workshop on Database and Expert Systems Applications (DEXA 99), 01 Sep 1999, Florence, Italy.
- Loomes, M. and Jones, S. (1998). Requirements Engineering: A Perspective Through Theory-Building.. , doi: 10.1109/ICRE.1998.667814
- Lam, W., Jones, S.V. and Vickers, A. (1998). Towards the mechanisation of requirements engineering: The reuse of application and task domain knowledge. ECBS98, ,
- Lam, W., Jones, S. and Britton, C. (1998). Technology Transfer for Reuse: A Management Model and Process Improvement Framework.. , doi: 10.1109/ICRE.1998.667831
- Britton, C. and Jones, S.V. (1998). Use of project characterisation in selecting notations for modelling requirements. ECBS98, ,
- Al-Hunaiyyan, A., Hewitt, J., Jones, S.V. and Messer, D. (1998). The impact of multimedia tutorial on students’ learning experience in Kuwait higher education. World Conference on Educational Multimedia and Hypermedia & World Conference on Educational Telecommunications, 20 Jun 1998, Freiburg, Germany.
- Lam, L., Shankararaman, V., Jones, S.V., Hewitt, J. and Britton, C. (1998). Change Analysis and Management: A Process Model and its Application within a Commercial Setting. Proceedings of ASSET-98, ,
- Jones, S.V. and Sapsford, J. (1998). The role of informal representations in early design. Design, Specification and Verification of Interactive Systems ‘98, 03 Jun 1998, Abingdon.
- Al-Hunaiyyan, A., Hewitt, J., Jones, S.V. and Messer, D. (1997). Assessment of the use of computer assisted learning (CAL) and multimedia in Kuwaiti higher education. Proceedings of the International Conference on Computers in Education, ,
- Lam, W. and Jones, S. (1997). Mechanising Requirements Engineering: Reuse and the Application of Domain Analysis Technology.. , doi: 10.1109/ASE.1997.632856
- Bearne, M., Jones, S. and Sapsford-Francis, J. (1994). Towards Usability Guidelines for Multimedia Systems.. , doi: 10.1145/192593.192631
- Jones, S.V. (1994). "3-dimensional modelling in knowledge engineering”, in What are Graphical User Interfaces Good For?. One day colloquium organised by IEE professional group C5 on 27th January, 27 Jan 1994,
- Jones, S. (1993). 3-D Diagrams for Knowledge Engineering: An Early Estimation of Utility.. ,
- Jarke, M., Pohl, K., Jacobs, S., Bubenko, J., Assenova, P., Holm, P., Wangler, P., Rolland, C., Plihon, V., Schmitt, J., Sutcliffe, A.G., Jones, S., Maiden, N., Till, D., Vassilou, Y., Constantopoulos, P. and Spanoudakis, G. (1993). Requirements Engineering: an Integrated View of Representation, Process and Domain. 4th European Software Engineering Conference, 13 Sep 1993, Garmesh-Partenkirchen.
- Furber, D., Green, S., Bolton, D., Till, D. and Jones, S.V. (1992). Formal requirements models from domain knowledge. “Formal requirements models from domain knowledge”, in Software Engineering and AI, 10 Apr 1992,
- Bolton, D., Jones, S.V., Till, D., Furber, D. and Green, S. (1992). "A generic modelling approach to requirements capture in the domain of air traffic control”, in Software in Air Traffic Control Systems - The Future. One day colloquium organised by IEE professional groups C1 and E15, 22 Jun 1992,
- Britton, C., Lam, W. and Jones, S.V. Separating the system interface from its internal state: an alternative structure for Z specifications. FAHCI Workshop, Sep 1998, Sheffield Hallam University.
- Jones, S.V. Graphics for knowledge engineering: The use of 3-dimensional interactive connection diagrams for knowledge engineering. People and Computer Interaction System Student Workshop, 1989, Open University.
- Jones, S.V. and Britton, C. Using multimedia case study material for teaching requirements engineering. 4th Annual Conference on the Teaching of Computing, Aug 2006,
- Maiden, N. and Jones, S.V. Dependability in RESCUE: A Concurrent Engineering Approach to the Specification of Requirements for Air Traffic Management. Workshop on Interdisciplinary Approaches, Distributed Systems and Networks, 2004,
- Barker, T., Jones, S.V., Britton, C. and Messer, D. The creation of task-based differentiated learning materials for students with learning difficulties and/or disabilitie. International Conference on Computer-Assisted Learning, 1997, University of Exeter.
- Jones, S.V. and Britton, C. Early elicitation and definition of requirements for an interactive multimedia information system. Second International Conference on Requirements Engineering, 15 Apr 1996, Colorado Springs, USA.
- Jones, S.V., Maiden, N.A.M., Zachos, K. and Zhu, X. How Service-Centric Systems Change the Requirements Process. 11th Workshop on Requirements Engineering: Foundation for Software Quality: REFSQ2005, 2005,
- Zhu, X., Maiden, N.A.M., Jones, S.V. and Zachos, K. Applying Patterns in Service Discovery. 13th International Requirements Engineering Conference, 29 Aug 2005, Paris, France.
- Maiden, N., Manning, S., Jones, S.V. and Greenwood, J. Pattern-Based Generation of Requirements from System Models. 10th Workshop on Requirements Engineering: Foundation for Software Quality: REFSQ2004, 2004,
- Bardill, A., Griffiths, W., Jones, S.V. and Fields, B. Design Tribes and Information Spaces for Creative Conversations. International conference on engineering and product design education, 02 Sep 2010, Trondheim, Norway.
- Lam, W. and Jones, S.V. The case for reuse-centred approaches to requirements engineering. Third International Workshop on Requirements Engineering: Foundation for Software Quality, 1997,
- Sustar, H., Jones, S.V. and Maiden, N. Creativity in Older People Designing Digital Devices. Proceedings CREATE’11 Symposium, 23 Jun 2011, London.
- Jacob, L. and Jones, S.V. Formal dialogue specification for hypertext and multimedia systems. East-West International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, 02 Aug 1994, St. Petersburg, Russia.
- Jones, S.V. and Lindstaedt, S. A Multi-Activity Distributed Participatory Design Process for Stimulating Creativity in the Specification of requirements for a Work-Integrated Learning System. Workshop on Distributed Participatory Design, held in association with CHI 2008, 2008,
- Jones, S.V., Maiden, N.A.M. and Karlsen, K. Creativity in the Specification of Large-Scale Socio-Technical Systems. Conference on Creative Inventions, Innovations and Everyday Designs in HCI, 13 Jun 2007, London.
- Ley, T., Kump, B., Lindstaedt, S.N., Albert, D., Maiden, N.A.M. and Jones, S.V. Competence and Performance in Requirements Engineering: Bringing Learning to the Workplace. 2nd Workshop on Learner-Oriented Knowledge Management & KM-Oriented E-Learning (LOKMOL 2006), 2006,
- Dove, G. and Jones, S.V. Narrative visualization: sharing insights into complex data. IADIS HCI Conference, 2012, Lisbon.
- Zachos, K., Zhu, X., Maiden, N. and Jones, S.V. Seamlessly Integrating Service Discovery into UML Requirements Processes. International Workshop on Service Oriented Software Engineering (IW-SOSE’06), 27 May 2008, Shanghai, China.
- Maiden, N., D'Souza, S., Jones, S., Muller, L., Panesse, L., Pitts, K., Prilla, M., Pudney, K., Rose, M., Turner, I. and Zachos, K. Computing Technologies for Reflective and Creative Care for People with Dementia. ,
- Veneziano, V., Jones, S.V., Britton, C. and De Matthaeis, P. Supporting reasoning and comprehension of e-contracts. Proceedings of the Third International Cognitive Technology Conference (CT '99), 11 Aug 1999, San Francisco.
- Maiden, N.A.M. and Jones, S.V. Creativity in the Design of Complex Systems. Workshop on Complexity in Design and Engineering, Mar 2005, Glasgow.
- Al-Hunaiyyan, A., Hewitt, S., Jones, S.V. and Messer, D. Multimedia interface design in relation to a learner’s culture. Proceedings of ED-MEDIA 99, 19 Jun 1999, Seattle.
- Jones, S.V., Maiden, N., Manning, S. and Greenwood, J. Human Activity Modelling in the Specification of Operational Requirements: Work in Progress. 26th International Conference on Software Engineering, 2004,
- Barker, T., Jones, S.V., Britton, C. and Messer, D. Investigation into the effect of language on performance in a multimedia food studies application. INTERACT'99, the Seventh IFIP Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, 30 Aug 1999, Edinburgh.
- Jones, S.V. A graphical representation for Communicating Sequential Processes. FAHCI Workshop, Sep 1998, Sheffield Hallam University.
- Barker, T., Jones, S.V., Britton, C. and Messer, D. Report of a pilot study of an individually configurable multimedia learning prototype based on a co-operative student model of learner characteristics. 21 Sep 1999, Bristol.
- Britton, C. and Jones, S.V. Which properties make a modelling notation easy for untrained users to understand?. International Workshop on Representations, Jul 1997, London.
- Barker, T., Jones, S.V. and Britton, C. The use of the Verbaliser-Imager cognitive style as a descriptor in a student model of learner characteristics in a multimedia application. 5th Annual Conference of the European Learning Styles Information Network, (ELSIN), 26 Jun 2000, University of Hertfordshire.
- Jones, S.V. and Sapsford-Francis, J. The role of graphical representations in early design and requirements specification. Workshop on Software Engineering and Human-Computer Interaction: Joint Research Issues, 16 May 1994, Sorrento, Italy.
- Barker, T., Jones, S.V., Britton, C. and Messer, D. Individual cognitive style and performance in a multimedia learning application. Euro Education 2000 Conference, 08 Feb 2000, Aalborg, Denmark.
- Barker, T., Jones, S.V., Britton, C. and Messer, D. The evaluation of Horizon multimedia learning materials for students with learning difficulties and disabilities. ALT-C97 Conference, Sep 1997, Wolverhampton University.
- Myers, M., Britton, S., Jones, S.V. and Sharif, M. An investigation into the measurement of notations used in software modelling. Proceedings of The Eighth European Software Control and Metrics Conference, May 1997, Berlin.
- Jones, S.V. and Wells, T. Iterative development of web-based teaching materials using existing paper-based resources. International Conference on Computer-Assisted Learning, 1997, University of Exeter.
- Zachos, K., Maiden, N., Karlsen, K., Jones, S.V., Turner, I., Rose, M., Pudney, K. and MacManus, J. Introducing creativity techniques and software apps to the care of people with dementia. 8th ACM conference on Creativity and cognition, 2011, doi: 10.1145/2069618.2069718
- Nusa, , Ahmed, and Jones, S.V. UNDERSTANDING THE COMMUNICATION CONTEXT OF SUCCESFULL HIGH-TECH NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT. Ninth International Symposium on Tools and Methods of Competitive Engineering (TMCE2012), 2012,
- Jones, S.V. and Clulow, S. (02 Aug 2012). How to foster a culture of collaboration between universities and industry
- Jones, S.V. (22 Jun 2012). Creating a culture of collaboration in universities
Since 2008, I have been developing innovative methods for teaching in relation to creativity and the design of interactive systems. From 2008-10, I received a grant of £64K from JISC to investigate the use of blended physical and digital spaces in the teaching of creative design, and in 2010, a further £3K from City University to develop and disseminate the findings from this project across the University.
Prior to that, I have lead and taught for modules on Requirements Engineering, User Interface Design, Object-Oriented Analysis and Design, Knowledge Engineering, Formal Notations and Models, and System Design and Development.
I have also supervised numerous projects at both Masters and undergraduate levels on themes relating to innovation, creativity and leadership as well as human-centred systems, business systems analysis and design, information systems, software engineering, computer science, cognitive science, software systems for the arts and media and combined studies degrees.
INM391 Creativity in Design, for the Masters in Human-Centred Systems (2009 - present)
INM411 Research Methods and Individual Project, for the Masters in Innovation, Creativity and Leadership (2012 - present)
- DIGITAL AGENDA FOR EUROPE: Driving Innovation through Creativity and the Arts, 21 Oct 2015, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Women in Digital Culture, Digital Shoreditch, 12 May 2015, London, UK.
- Associate chair ACM Designing Interactive Systems 2016
- Information Technology in Creative Environments, conference track at the Australasian Conference on Information Systems (ACIS) 2010
- Information Spaces for Creative Conversations, 2009
- DESIRE’11 - 2nd International Conference on Creativity and Innovation in Design
- International Journal of Creative Computing
- ACM SIGCHI Symposium on Engineering Interactive Systems (EICS) 2013
- PeerJ Computer Science
- ACM Creativity and Cognition 2015