Professor Saqib Jafarey
Professor Jafarey received a BSc in Chemical Engineering from the University of California and a PhD in Economics from New York University.
His previous academic positions have included the University of Essex, University of Liverpool, SUNY at Buffalo, Renmin University of China, the Lahore University of Management of Science and the University of the South Pacific.
- PhD in Economics, New York University, United States
- Associate Fellow, Institute for Deveopment Economics and Alternative Systems, Mar 2014 – present
- Adjunct Professor, University of the South Pacific, Jan 2014 – Jan 2016
- Professor, City University London, Jul 2007 – present
- Jafarey, S. and Lahiri, S. (2004). Education, child labour and development. In Johnes, G. and Johnes, J. (Eds.), (pp. 743–786). EDWARD ELGAR PUBLISHING LTD.
- Jafarey, S., Montes-Rojas, G. and Mainali, R. The Anticipation Effect of Marriage on Female Education: Theory and Evidence from Nepal..
- Mainali, R., Jafarey, S. and Montes-Rojas, G. (2017). Earnings and Caste: An Evaluation of Caste Wage Differentials in the Nepalese Labour Market. The Journal of Development Studies, 53(3), pp. 396–421. doi:10.1080/00220388.2016.1189535.
- Jafarey, S. and Maiti, D. (2015). Glass slippers and glass ceilings: An analysis of marital anticipation and female education. Journal of Development Economics, 115, pp. 45–61. doi:10.1016/j.jdeveco.2014.12.005.
- Gabbi, G., Iori, G., Jafarey, S. and Porter, J. (2015). Financial regulations and bank credit to the real economy. Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, 50, pp. 117–143. doi:10.1016/j.jedc.2014.07.002.
- Jafarey, S. and Lahiri, S. (2009). Developing country borrowing from a monopolistic lender: Strategic interactions and endogenous leadership. Japanese Economic Review, 60(2), pp. 191–207. doi:10.1111/j.1468-5876.2008.00436.x.
- Iori, G., Jafarey, S. and Padilla, F.G. (2006). Systemic risk on the interbank market. Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 61(4), pp. 525–542. doi:10.1016/j.jebo.2004.07.018.
- Jafarey, S. and Lahiri, S. (2005). Food for education versus school quality: A comparison of policy options to reduce child labour. Canadian Journal of Economics, 38(2), pp. 394–419. doi:10.1111/j.0008-4085.2005.00285.x.
- Jafarey, S. and Lahiri, S. (2004). "Export experience" under borrowing constraints. Review of International Economics, 12(5), pp. 844–854.
- Jafarey, S. and Masters, A. (2003). Output, Prices, and the Velocity of Money in Search Equilibrium. Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, 35(6 1), pp. 871–888.
- Jafarey, S. and Lahiri, S. (2002). Will trade sanctions reduce child labour? The role of credit markets. Journal of Development Economics, 68(1), pp. 137–156. doi:10.1016/S0304-3878(02)00009-3.
- Jafarey, S. and Rupert, P. (2001). Limited Commitment, Money, and Credit. Journal of Economic Theory, 99(1-2), pp. 22–58. doi:10.1006/jeth.2000.2712.
- Jafarey, S. and Lahiri, S. (2001). Child Labour. World Economics Journal, 2(1), pp. 69–93.
- Ilahi, N. and Jafarey, S. (1999). Guestworker migration, remittances and the extended family: evidence from Pakistan. J Dev Econ, 58(2), pp. 485–512.
- Gort, M., Jafarey, S. and Rupert, P. (1999). Defining capital in growth models. , (Q II), pp. 19–23.
- Jafarey, S. and Park, H. (1998). The dynamics of optimal wealth distributions with recursive utility. Economics Letters, 61(2), pp. 149–158.
- Jafarey, S., Kaskarelis, A.Y. and Philippopoulos, A. (1997). The Joint Determination of Private Investment and Fiscal Policy:Theory and Evidence from Greece. Ekonomia, 1(1), pp. 48–64.
- Graca, J., Jafarey, S. and Philippopoulos, A. (1995). Interaction of human and physical capital in a model of endogenous growth. Economics of Planning, 28(2-3), pp. 93–118. doi:10.1007/BF01263633.
- Jafarey, S., Kaskarelis, Y. and Miaouli, N. (1995). Wage Determination and Capital Decisions in a Dynamic Monopoly Union Model. Ekonomia, 2(1), pp. 73–89.
- Benhabib, J., Jafarey, S. and Nishimura, K. (1988). The dynamics of efficient intertemporal allocations with many agents, recursive preferences, and production. Journal of Economic Theory, 44(2), pp. 301–320. doi:10.1016/0022-0531(88)90006-3.
- Jafarey, S. (1982). Emigration and development in Pakistan. South Asia Bull, 2(2), pp. 1–11.
- Iori, G. and Jafarey, S. Criticality in a model of banking crises. . doi:10.1016/S0378-4371(01)00297-7.
- Jafarey, S. and Lahiri, S. (2005). Developing country borrowing lending from a monopolistic lender: strategic interaction and endogenous leadership.
- Jafarey, S. and Lahiri, S. (1999). Will trade sanctions reduce child labour? The role of credit markets.
- Graca, J., Jafarey, S. and Philippopoulos, A. (1994). Interaction of Human and Physical Capital in a Model of Endogenous Growth.
- Jafarey, S., Kaskarelis, Y. and Philippopoulos, A. (1994). Private Investment and the Optimal Stabilization of Public Debt Theory and UK Evidence.
- Jafarey, S., Kaskarelis, Y. and Philippopoulos, A. Private Investment and Endogenous Fiscal Policy. Theory and Evidence from UK and USA.
- Jafarey, S., Goenka, A. and Pouliot, W. (2014). Pollution, Mortality and Optimal Environmental Policy. London, UK: City, University of London.
- Jafarey, S. (2008). Glass slippers and glass ceilings: A positive analysis of gender inequality and marriage. London: City, University of London.