Professor Rosemary Hollis
Professor Rosemary Hollis' writing, teaching and research focuses on international political and security issues in the Middle East, particularly UK, European, EU and US relations with the region and the international dimensions of regional conflicts.
Prior to joining City in March 2008 Professor Hollis was Director of Research at Chatham House (the Royal Institute of International Affairs) for three years, with overall responsibility for the research and publications output of the institute, including the formulation, funding, quality and delivery of projects.
From 1995 to 2005 she was Head of the Middle East Programme at Chatham House, having spent five years in a similar post at the Royal United Services Institute for Defence Studies.
During the 1980s she was a lecturer in Political Science and International Politics at George Washington University in Washington, DC, where she gained her PhD in Political Science, focusing on Britain and the Middle East.
She also holds a BA in History and an MA in War Studies from the University of London, King's College.
- Hollis, R. (01 Mar 2016). Palestine and the Palestinians in British political elite discourse: From ‘The Palestine Problem’ to ‘the two-state solution’. International Relations, 30(1), 3-28. doi: 10.1177/0047117815625347
- Hollis, R. (01 Jun 2015). The EU and the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict, 1971-2013: In Pursuit of a Just Peace. MIDDLE EAST JOURNAL, 69(3), 469-471.
- Hollis, R. (28 Nov 2015). Policy Research: Some Reflections on Theory and Practice. Middle East Law and Governance, 7(3), 361-372. doi: 10.1163/18763375-00703005
- Hollis, R. (Jan 2012). No friend of democratization: Europe's role in the genesis of the Arab Spring'. INTERNATIONAL AFFAIRS, 88(1), 81-+. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-2346.2012.01058.x
- Hollis, R. (Jan 2011). Europe and the Middle East: has the EU missed its moment of opportunity?. Journal of Politics and International Relations, (Turkey, 2(2).
- Hollis, R. (2011). The UfM and the Middle East 'Peace Process': An Unhappy Symbiosis. MEDITERRANEAN POLITICS, 16(1), 99-116. doi: 10.1080/13629395.2011.547392
- Hollis, R. (2010). The End of the British Mandate for Palestine, 1948: The Diary of Sir Henry Gurney. JOURNAL OF IMPERIAL AND COMMONWEALTH HISTORY, 38(4), 647-649.
- Hollis, R. (2010). The basic stakes and strategy of the EU and Member States. Chaillot Paper 124, 124(European Involvement in the Arab-Israeli Conflict).
- Hollis, R. (2008). Competing Agendas and European Dilemmas in the Middle East. Jordan Journal of International Affairs, 1(3), 21-33.
- Hollis, R. (Mar 2004). ‘The Israeli-Palestinian road block: can Europeans make a difference?. International Affairs, 80(2), 191-201.
- Hollis, R. (2003). Iraq: Revisiting the Options. Al Mustaqbal al Arabi (The Arab Future).
- Hollis, R. (Jan 2003). Getting out of the Iraq trap. International Affairs, 79(1), 23-35.
- Hollis, R. (Aug 2000). Iran: External Relations and Possible Regional Role. Al Mustaqbal al Arabi(258).
- Hollis, R. (Jan 1997). Europe in the Middle East: Power by Stealth?. International Affairs, 73(1), 15-29.
- Hollis, R. (Sep 1994). The Politics of Israeli-European Economic Relations. Israel Affairs, 1(1), 118-134.
- Hollis, R. (Oct 1992). What Price Renewed Conflict in the Middle East?. RUSI Journal.
- Hollis, R. (1991). Inter-Arab Politics and the Gulf War: States’ Rights Take Precedence over Pan-Arabism. Cambridge Review of International Affairs.
- Hollis, R. (Oct 1991). Israel’s Search for Security. Asian Affairs, XXII(III).
- Hollis, R. (1990). At Stake in the Iraqi Invasion of Kuwait: Borders, Oil and Money. RUSI Journal.
- Hollis, R. (1989). Tactical Dynamics of the Intifada and Israel’s Response. RUSI Journal.
- Hollis, R. (). Great Britain and the Palestine Question. Palestine: le jeu des Puissantes.
- Hollis, R. (22 Mar 2010). Britain and the Middle East in the 9/11 Era. London: Wiley-Blackwell. ISBN: 1405102977.
- Heller, M. and Hollis, R. (2005). Israel and the Palestinians: Israeli Policy Options. Royal Inst of Intl Affairs. ISBN: 1862031665.
- (01 Jan 2000). Managing new developments in the Gulf. Royal Institute of International Affairs.
- Hollis, E.A. (01 Jan 2000). Managing New Developments in the Gulf. Royal Institute of International Affairs.
- RIIA, (01 Oct 1998). Oil and regional developments in the Gulf. Royal Institute of International Affairs. ISBN: 186203009X.
- Hamarneh, M., Hollis, R. and Shikaki, K. (1997). Jordanian-Palestinian relations: where to?. Chatham House (Formerly RIIA).
- Various, (Jun 1996). Lebanon on Hold. ISBN: 1862030057.
- Various, (1993). Turning Point:The Soviets, their successors and the Middle East. Palgrave Macmillan. ISBN: 0312099959.
- Hollis, R. (01 Apr 2013). Europe. Peters, J. and Newman, D. (Ed.), Routledge Handbook of the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict (pp. 336-345) ISBN: 041577862X.
- Hollis, R. (2013). Mubarak: the Embodiment of ‘Moderate Arab Leadership’?. Freedman, L. and Michaels, J. (Ed.), Scripting Middle East Leaders: The Impact of Leadership Perceptions on US and UK Foreign Policy (pp. 171-193) London: Bloomsbury Academic Press.
- Hollis, R. (2009). Europe in the Middle East. Fawcett, L. (Ed.), International Relations of the Middle East (pp. ) (2nd). Oxford University Press, USA. ISBN: 0199215537.
- Hollis, R. (15 Sep 2009). European Elites and the Middle East. Gamble, A. and Lane, D. (Ed.), The European Union and world politics (pp. ) Palgrave MacMillan. ISBN: 0230221491.
- Hollis, R. (2008). Britain's Reentry to Iraq, March 2003. Podeh, E. and Levey, Z. (Ed.), Britain and the Middle East (pp. ) Sussex Academic Pr. ISBN: 1845191641.
- Hollis, R. (2006). The United Kingdom: Fateful Decision, Divided Nation. Fawn, R. and Hinnebusch, R. (Ed.), The Iraq war (pp. ) Lynne Rienner Pub. ISBN: 1588264130.
- Hollis, R. (2005). The Middle East: The Strategic Context. Huldt, B. (Ed.), A Wider Middle East: Strategic Yearbook 2005 Stockholm: Swedish National Defence College.
- Hollis, R. (2004). Britain's Strategic Approach to the Gulf. (Ed.), International interests in the Gulf Region (pp. ) Emirates Center for Strategic Studies. ISBN: 9948006585.
- Hollis, R. (2004). The U.S. Role: Helpful or Harmful?. Sick, G. and Potter, L. (Ed.), Unfinished Business: Iran, Iraq and the Aftermath of War New York: Palgrave.
- Hollis, R. (2002). The end of historical attachments: Britain’s changing policy towards the Middle East. Dodge, T. and Higott, R. (Ed.), Globalization and the Middle East: Islam, Economy, Society & Politics (pp. ) London: Royal Inst of Intl Affairs. ISBN: 1862031339.
- Hollis, R. (2000). Turkey and the Geopolitical Implications of EU Enlargement. Hanelt, C., Neugart, F. and Peitz, M. (Ed.), Future perspectives for European-Gulf relations (pp. )
- Hollis, R. (2000). Barcelona’s First Pillar: An Appropriate Concept for Security Relations?. Behrendt, S. and Hanelt, C. (Ed.), Bound to Cooperate: Europe and the Middle East (pp. ) Guetersloh: Bertelsmann Stiftung.
- Hollis, R. (1999). Capitalizing on Diplomacy. Marr, P. (Ed.), Egypt at the crossroads: domestic stability and regional role Washington, D.C.: US National Defense University. ISBN: 1428981187.
- Hollis, R. (1998). Sanctions or Dialogue?. Mitchell, J. (Ed.), Companies in a world of conflict (pp. ) London: Earthscan/RIIA. ISBN: 1853835366.
- Hollis, R. (1997). Europe and Gulf Security: A Competitive Business. Koch, C. and Long, D. (Ed.), Gulf Security in the 21st Century (pp. ) Abu Dhabi: Emirates Center for Strategic Studies & Research. ISBN: 1850433860.
- Hollis, R. (1995). Whatever Happened to the Damascus Declaration? Evolving Security Structures in the Gulf. (Ed.), Politics and International Relations in the Middle East Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
- Hollis, R. (1994). Israeli-European Relations in the 1990s. Mahler, G.S. and Mahler, G. (Ed.), Israel at the crossroads (pp. ) I. B. Tauris. ISBN: 1850437319.
- Hollis, R. (1994). Western Security Strategy in South West Asia. Ehteshami, A. (Ed.), From the Gulf to Central Asia (pp. ) Univ of Exeter Pr. ISBN: 0859894517.
- Hollis, R. (01 May 1992). Israel’s Relations with the Arabs: What Difference Did the Gulf War Make?. RUSI, (Ed.), Rusi and Brassey's Defence Yearbook, 1992 (pp. ) ISBN: 1857530306.
- Hollis, R. (Mar 1991). Things Will Never Be the Same Again: Israel and the Intifada. RUSI, (Ed.), RUSI and Brassey's Defence Yearbook, 1991 (pp. ) ISBN: 0080407293.
- Hollis, R. (1987). Great Britain. Reich, B. (Ed.), The Powers in the Middle East (pp. ) Praeger Publishers. ISBN: 0275923045.
- Hollis, R. (). The Role of the European Union. (Ed.), Little More than Bystanders: The Role of External Powers during the Arab Spring London: Scandinavian Academic Press.
- Hollis, (). Europe in the Middle East. (Ed.), The International Relations of the Middle East
- Hollis, R. (). The Greater Middle East. (Ed.), SIPRI Yearbook 2005: Arms, Disarmament and International Security (2005). Stocklholm: Oxford University Press.
- Hollis, R. (2009). European Elites and the Middle East. ,
- Hollis, R. (11 May 2016). Shifting paradigms: how British politics has depicted Palestine