Dr Pavlos Filippopoulos
- Dr Pavlos Filippopoulos
- +44 (0)20 7040 4557
Prior to joining the Department of Psychology at City University London in 2011, Dr Filippopoulos was Course Leader of the Practitioner Psychology Doctorate, Counselling Psychology Research Coordinator, Founding Member of the S.P.C.P. Research Centre and Senate member at Regents University London.
He is a Chartered Psychologist (B.P.S.), Registered Practitioner Psychologist (H.C.P.C.), and Registered Psychotherapist (U.K.C.P.). He is also a Registered Applied Psychology Practice Supervisor (R.A.P.P.S.), Registered Coaching Psychologist (S.G.C.P.), and a Chartered Scientist with the Science Council. He is Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society. He is also an Accredited Mediator (UK Law Society/ Bar Council). He has trained in Team Teach, Clinical Hypnosis, C.B.T. Person Centered Approach, Psychodynamic Approach, I.P.T. (The Tavistock and Portman, NHS) and studied Clinical Neuropsychiatry (Queen's Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham University).
Media work, public communication of science
Dr Filippopoulos has been involved in communicating current understanding and research findings within the field of psychology to the general public, via radio and television and the press. He has also been offering psychological consultancy in a variety of topics within psychology and psychotherapy.
Other outreach activities
Dr Filippopoulos has played an active role in providing accessible accounts of psychological research both for the lay public and for other professional groups via public meetings. Contributions include invited public addresses at:
•Police Academy with Dr Maria Luca, Cyprus
•Kirklees, LEA, Senior Autistic Provision,U.K.
•Newcastle Under Lyme College, U.K.
•SEA Forum, University of London, U.K.
- Full Award for Achievement in Education (2003) Kirklees, LEA: ABA and Education Plan by Pavlos Filippopoulos.
- PhD scholarship (2005) Keele University.
- Award for achievement in supporting Counselling Services (2008) Mid Staffs Mind.
- Award for Staff Success (2009) Staffordshire University.
- Chair of the Society for Existential Analysis.
- External Moderator for Nottingham Trent University.
- External Advisor for Wolverhampton University, DPsych Counselling Psychology.
- Psychological Consultant at Therapedia, London, UK.
- Reviewer for the European Journal of Counselling Psychology.
- Reviewer for the SPCP Journal.
- Health Care Professions Council (Registered)
- British Psychological Society (Chartered)
- Division of Counselling Psychology B.P.S. (General member)
- Division of Teachers and Researchers in Psychology B.P.S. (Full member)
- United Kingdom Council of Psychotherapy (Registered)
- Society of Existential Analysis (Registered)
- The Science Council (Chartered Scientist)
- Special Group for Coaching Psychology (Registered)
- Applied Psychology Supervisors B.P.S. (Registered)
•Neuroscience, neuropsychology and therapy
PhD and DPsych research supervision
Dr Filippopoulos currently has two PhD students working with him on Borderline Personality Disorder and Clinical Psychology and has eight DPsych students working with him on bereavement, cross-cultural issues, time perspectives and addiction, religion transitions, self harm, CBT and Existential integration, Eating Disorders and DBT.
- Al-Hatmi, H. and Filippopoulos, P. (2015). The relationship between time perception and emotional interference on autobiographical memories. International Journal of Emergency Mental Health, 17(3), pp. 609–616.
- Davies, S. and Filippopoulos, P. (2015). Changes in Psychological Time Perspective During Residential Addiction Treatment: A Mixed-Methods Study. Journal of Groups in Addiction and Recovery, 10(3), pp. 249–270. doi:10.1080/1556035X.2015.1066728.
- Luca, M. and Filippopoulos, P. (2014). Motivational and Adaptation Experiences of Returnees and Migrants to Cyprus: A Grounded Theory Study with Counselling Psychology Application and Practice Implications in Europe. The European Journal of Counselling Psychology, 3(1), pp. 20–41. doi:10.5964/ejcop.v3i1.18.
- Filippopoulos, P.C., Hallworth, P., Lee, S. and Wearden, J.H. (2013). Interference between auditory and visual duration judgements suggests a common code for time. Psychol Res, 77(6), pp. 708–715. doi:10.1007/s00426-012-0464-6.
- Filippopoulos, P.C., Hallworth, P., Lee, S. and Wearden, J.H. (2013). Interference between auditory and visual duration judgements suggests a common code for time. Psychological Research, 77(6), pp. 708–715. doi:10.1007/s00426-012-0464-6.
- Filippopoulos, P. (2009). Counselling Psychology training in the United Kingdom for Greek
students who completed their undergraduate training in Greece:
themes when comparing the two different organisational settings. The European Journal of Counselling Psychology, 1(2) .