Dr Nora Honkala
- Dr Nora Honkala
- +44 (0)20 7040 0437
Nora joined The City Law School as Lecturer in Law in July 2016. She teaches European Human Rights (LLB) and Tort (LLB and GDL) and is the PhD Research Training Programme Co-ordinator.
Prior to joining City, Nora was a Teaching Fellow and Sessional Lecturer at University of Reading.
Nora's research interests lie primarily in the field of gender and law, particularly socio-legal and feminist approaches to international law, refugee law and human rights law.
PhD (University of Reading, 2015)
LLM in International Law and World Order (University of Reading, 2009)
LLB (University of Melbourne)
- Honkala, (2017). Rights of Women Seeking Asylum: Procedural and Evidential Barriers to Protection. In Juss, S. (Ed.), Research Handbook in International Refugee Law (Forthcoming) Elgar.
- Honkala, N. (2014). A feminist human rights perspective on the use of internal relocation by asylum adjudicators. Adjudicating International Human Rights: Essays in Honour of Sandy Ghandhi (pp. 148–166).
- Honkala, N. (2017). ‘She, of Course, Holds No Political Opinions’: Gendered Political Opinion Ground in Women’s Forced Marriage Asylum Claims. Social and Legal Studies, 26(2), pp. 166–187. doi:10.1177/0964663916681067.
European Human Rights (LLB Year 3 elective)
Tort (LLB Year 2 and GDL)
- ”An unhappy interlude”: Trivialisation of forced marriage in asylum seeker women’s cases. School of Law, Lancaster University (2016).
- (Mis) Understanding Forced Marriage - The Domestic Application of the Refugee Convention in Asylum Seeker Women's Claims in the UK. University of Uppsala, Sweden (2015).
Description: at the Nordic Asylum Law Seminar 'Unequal Treatment: The Root of All Claims for Protection?'
- 'She, of course, holds no political opinions'- The Gendering of Politics and Asylum Adjudication". Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen (2014).
Description: SLSA Conference
- Internal Relocation Option in Forced Marriage Asylum Appeals Cases- Why Gender Matters? Queen's University Belfast (2013).
Description: Critical Legal Conference
- Obstacles to 'fair and just' decision-making at the first instance refugee determination process. University of Reading (2013).
- Gendered Judgments in Asylum Seeker Women's English Immigration and Asylum Cases. Honolulu, Hawaii (2012).
Description: Law and Society Association Conference
- Forced Marriage and the Rights of Asylum Seeker Women. University of Reading (2011).
- Uncovering Silences: The Role of Feminist Scholarship in Challenging Gendered Constructions in International Refugee Law. University of Westminster (2011).
Description: PECANS Sexuality and Legal Transformation Conference
- Uncovering Silences: The Role of Feminist Scholarship in Challenging Gendered Constructions in International Refugee Law. University of Leicester (2011).
Description: at the European Society of International Law (ESIL) Feminism and International Law Interest Group
- “As Forced Marriage Gets Criminalised in the UK- What then of Asylum Seeker Women Fleeing Forced Marriages?” Inherently Human: Critical Perspectives on Law, Gender and Sexuality.
- Refugee Law Initiative- Doctoral Affiliate
Member of ESIL 'Feminism and International Law Interest Group',
ESIL, 'Interest Group on Migration and Refugee Law', SLS, SLSA and PECANS.
Reading Refugee Support Group, Trustee