Neal is a Senior Lecturer in Educational Development and Module Leader for Technology Enabled Academic Practice (TEAP) and Information and Communication Technologies in Higher Education on the MA in Academic Practice programme. Neal is also part of the LDC school liaison team for the School of Health Sciences.
His areas of interest include blended learning, the digital researcher, impact of technology on academic roles and identities, e-portfolios, educational research, online communities.
Neal has an MA, a Post Graduate Certificate in Education and is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. He has 25 years experience as an Associate Lecturer for the Open University in the Arts and Humanities and Technology faculties. He has carried out research for the University of Reading in Computer Mediated Communication and has previously worked as an historian and head of sixth from.
Neal is a reviewer for the International Journal of e-portfolios (IJEP), the European Journal for E learning (EJEL), member of the network of academics and professionals of the European Distance and E learning Network (EDEN) and a regular presenter at European and international conferences on the roles and impact of technology in education. He has carried out independent consultancy work for the Human Tissue Authority and a number of other government agencies.
Currently, Neal is studying towards a PhD at City University London in the area of technology and academic practice.
- Sumner, N. (2012). Tutoring online: practices and developmental needs of part-time/casual staff. In Beaton, F. and Gilbert, A. (Eds.), Developing Effective Part-time Teachers in Higher Education: New Approaches London: Routledge/SEDA.
- Rawlings-Anderson, K. and Sumner, N. (2015). MOVING FORWARD WITH A BLENDED LEARNING CURRICULUM: A CASE STUDY IN COLLABORATION. .
- Sumner, N. (2013). Analysing the roles activities and skills of learning technologists: a case study from City University London. Proceedings of the International Conference on Information and Communications Technology in Education, 3-6 July, Crete.
- Rawlings-Anderson, K., Perovic, N. and Sumner, N. (2013). 'FINDING THE BLEND': AN EVALUATION OF THE BALANCE BETWEEN ONLINE AND FACE TO FACE LEARNING AND TEACHING IN A BLENDED CURRICULUM. .
- Sumner, N. (2012). DEVELOPING THE DIGITAL RESEARCHER. EDEN Conference 6-9 June, Porto.
- Sumner, N. (2011). Building and sustaining a learning community of professional educators in a web 2.0 world. EDEN 2011 27-29 October, Dublin, Ireland.
- Sumner, N. and Fox, O. (2011). Building communities of educators for a web 2.0 world. International Conference on Information and Communications Technology in Education 7-9 July, Rhodes, Greece.
- Sumner, N., Fox, O. and Sultany, A. (2009). Evaluation of the implementation of an e-portfolio system – processes versus platform? Eifel Conference 22-24 June, London, UK.
- Sumner, N. (2008). The integration of an institution wide e-portfolio. Eifel Conference 22-24 October, Maastricht, the Netherlands.
- Sumner, N. and Fox, O. (2008). Implementing an institution– wide e-portfolio: the City University experience (telling deep stories about institutional change). IADIS International Conference e-Learning 22-25 July, Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
- Sumner, N. and Solkin, L. (2008). Capturing cultural complexity – using activity theory and actor network theory to develop a leaning environment. EDEN 2008 Conference 11-14 June, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Sumner, N. and Solkin, L. (2007). Locating the entrepreneur: investigating small business learning through the use of e-portfolios. EDEN 2007 Conference 13-16 June, Naples, Italy.
- Sumner, N. and Cancienne, A. (2007). Institutional strategies for the promotion, implementation and evaluation of e-assessment – a case study from City University. REAP International Online Conference on Assessment Design for Learner Responsibility 2007 29-31 May, Online.
- Sumner, N. (2006). Small business learning using e-portfolios. EDEN 2006 Conference 14-17 June, Vienna, Austria.
- Quinsee, S. and Sumner, N. (2005). How to manage the big bang: evolution or revolution in the introduction of an MLE? .
- Quinsee, S. and Sumner, N. (2004). How to manage the big bang… evolution or revolution in the introduction of an MLE? Networked Learning 2004 5-7 April, Lancaster, UK.
- Pates, D. and Sumner, N. (2016). E-learning spaces and the digital university. International Journal of Information and Learning Technology, 33(3), pp. 159–171. doi:10.1108/IJILT-10-2015-0028.
- Sumner, N. (2012). BUILDING COMMUNITIES OF EDUCATORS FOR THE 21ST
CENTURY: CHALLENGES AND OPPORTUNITIES. The University of the Fraser Valley Research Review, volume 4:(issue 3:) .
- Sumner, N., Paran, A. and Furneaux, C. (2004). Computer-mediated communication in distance MA programmes: the student's perspective. System, 32(3), pp. 337–355. doi:10.1016/j.system.2004.02.007.
- Sumner, N. (1987). The Countess Lucy's priory? the early history of spalding priory and its estates. Reading medieval studies, 13 .