Dr Michelle Hennelly
Dr Hennelly is the MSc Programme Director for the MSc in Clinical Optometry, MSc in Advanced Practice in Health and Social Care (Clinical Optometry) and MSc in Advanced Practice in Health and Social Care (Ophthalmic Nurse Practitioner). She is a qualified optometrist who completed her PhD at City University in 2002. During her time at City, she have been a Clinical supervisor, Special techniques teacher at the Fight for Sight Eye Clinic and the Contact Lens Referral Clinic Co-ordinator and Practitioner.
Dr Hennelly is a highly experienced optometrist, specialising in Masters and Continuing Education and Training in the field of postgraduate Optometry.
Following a degree in Ophthalmic Optics at University of Wales, Dr Hennelly completed her pre-registration year at the Visual Assessment Department at Moorfields Eye Hospital, London.
Dr Hennelly was awarded a PhD for her research into contact lenses at City University, London. Upon completion of her Doctoral Thesis, entitled 'The light scattering characteristics of the normal and contact lens wearing eye', Dr Hennelly was asked to join the staff at the Department of Optometry. Since this time, she has specialised in the Masters Programme in Clinical Optometry. In addition, she became the CET co-ordinator and editor for the City University CET series run in conjunction with Optometry Today.
Currently, Dr Hennelly is responsible for the many students who attend the various MSc/CET modules at the University. She has run over 140 three-day modules, developed 15 MSc courses in addition to organising and editing four distance learning courses and co-ordinated and edited over 150 CET articles. She has been instrumental in devising the prescribing programme and in securing GOC and College of Optometrist professional accreditation and CET approval for every aspect of the Postgraduate programme.
BSc (Hons); MCOptom; PhD
Administrative roles/Clinical activity
- Member of Board of Studies
- Member of PG Forum
- Member of PG Programme Committee
- Member of PG Staff Student Liaison Committee
- School of Health Science periodic review panel member.
- Driver vision screening
- Ocular therapeutics and ocular disease.
- Sheetal Patel
- Thesis Title
- Enhanced Eye Services
- Anne-Marie Cullinane
- Thesis Title
- Driver Screening in Ireland
Modules taught on
- Module Lead
- Co-module leader - Principles of Therapeutics
- Co-module leader - Principles of Prescribing
- Primary eye care
- College of Optometrists Annual Conference. (1998).
- The Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO). (1997).
- British Congress of Optometry. (1997).
- Factors affecting the integrated straylight parameter in the normal human eye.
- The light scattering characteristics of the eye.
- The ageing eye - light scattering changes with age.