Julia joined the psychology department in January 2017, and teaches on City's award winning MSc in Organisational Psychology. Information on this course can be found here :http://www.city.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate/organisational-psychology.
Julia specialises in the development of individuals within their careers, and teaches career development, coaching psychology and learning and training. Her research interests are in occupational identities, the role of appearance in career, and the integration of career theory and coaching practice.
- Yates, J. and Hooley, T. (2017). Advising on career image: perspectives, practice and politics. British Journal of Guidance & Counselling pp. 1–12. doi:10.1080/03069885.2017.1286635.
- Archer, S. and Yates, J. (2017). Understanding potential career changers’ experience of career confidence following a positive psychology based coaching programme. Coaching: An International Journal of Theory, Research and Practice pp. 1–19. doi:10.1080/17521882.2017.1292535.
- Yates, J. (2017). A meta-theoretical framework for career practitioners. The Indian Journal of Career and Livlihood Planning, 5(1), pp. 15–25.
- Yates, J., Oginni, T., Olway, H. and Petzold, T. (2017). Career conversations in coaching: the contribution that career theory can make to coaching practice. Coaching: An International Journal of Theory, Research and Practice, 10(1), pp. 82–93. doi:10.1080/17521882.2017.1287209.
- Yates, J., Hooley, T. and Bagri, K.K. (2016). Good looks and good practice: the attitudes of career practitioners to attractiveness and appearance. British Journal of Guidance & Counselling pp. 1–15. doi:10.1080/03069885.2016.1237615.
- Hooley, T. and Yates, J. (2015). ‘If you look the part you’ll get the job’: should career professionals help clients to enhance their career image? British Journal of Guidance & Counselling, 43(4), pp. 438–451. doi:10.1080/03069885.2014.975676.
- Cutts, B., Hooley, T. and Yates, J. (2015). Graduate dress code: How undergraduates are planning to use hair, clothes and make-up to smooth their transition to the workplace. Industry and Higher Education, 29(4), pp. 271–282. doi:10.5367/ihe.2015.0261.
- Yates, J. (2014). Synchronous online CPD: empirical support for the value of webinars in career settings. British Journal of Guidance & Counselling, 42(3), pp. 245–260. doi:10.1080/03069885.2014.880829.
- Yates, J. and Dabis, H. (2014). Navigating the stormy seas:What factors lead to a successful transition from the Quarterlife Crisis? The Coaching Psychologist .
- Coaching: an international journal of theory, research and practice, Co-editor, Jan 2016 – present.
- Career conversations in coaching. Henley Business School (2017). Key note speech at Henley Business School's 2017 Aumni Event
- Career practice in an uncertain world. Oslo, Norway (2016). Key note speech at Norway's national career conference
- Career thinking in the 21st century. Chelmsford (2016). Key note speech at Essex County Council's Career Quality Award ceremony